Standings

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Is it possible we play bad like this for the rest of the season and get the top pick?

Pacioretty 6'2" - Mathews 6'2" - Gallagher 5'9"
Scherbak 6'2" - Galchenyuk 6'2" - McCarron 6'6"

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The only way we tank is if Price is out for the season. Otherwise, no way this roster finishes last. Impossible.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
The only way we tank is if Price is out for the season. Otherwise, no way this roster finishes last. Impossible.

At the current rate, I'd rather not play Price since he'll get injured trying to save this team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I just want this gm and coach gone. I don`t care if Bergevin got resigned recently, he hasn`t done squat.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Why did you write the players heights after their names?

Because this is the habs board man, all these people care about is size. It's actually gotten better around here since we had some big boy's like parro's and douglas murray.

Nearly the entire NHL is currently trending towards skill and speed over height and weight. (I should add that of course, skill, speed and size is of course desirable)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Because this is the habs board man, all these people care about is size. It's actually gotten better around here since we had some big boy's like parro's and douglas murray.

Nearly the entire NHL is currently trending towards skill and speed over height and weight.

Big boys like Pavelski, Malkin, Stamkos, and Crosby. Being all around 6" is the norm. Bringing up goons and washed up defenseman, painting all big guys as those who can't play does a real disservice to those who can, and even the medium-sized fellas I mentioned.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Big boys like Pavelski, Malkin, Stamkos, and Crosby. Being all around 6" is the norm. Bringing up goons and washed up defenseman, painting all big guys as those who can't play does a real disservice to those who can, and even the medium-sized fellas I mentioned.

I'm not painting them all blue. Size and skill is great. Size, skill & speed is the pinnacle. I feel as though a few years ago alot of teams, including us would sacrifice skill or speed or both for size and that wasn't working. Now if you have a guy who has speed and skill but not size he is more likely to find success than it has been in recent years.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
It would be a sad rest of the season but probably worth it if we got Matthews. He would bring the much needed talent in the top 6.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not painting them all blue. Size and skill is great. Size, skill & speed is the pinnacle. I feel as though a few years ago alot of teams, including us would sacrifice skill or speed or both for size and that wasn't working. Now if you have a guy who has speed and skill but not size he is more likely to find success than it has been in recent years.

Players like Wayne Gretzky in hockey and Lionel Messi for football might say different.

One thing is that you also have to differentiate between speed and quickness. Speed is used to measure the time to get from point A to B. Quickness is how fast your reflexes are and how fast you can go from muscles at stop to full movement. In most sports, quickness is considered the more important trait. In a summary explanation, one player may be able to skate the length of the rink faster than another, but the other has faster short movement, turn movement, and reflexes. Generally has to do with a person's muscle twitch. (An example would be Jarred Tinordi who can do fairly well at straight line skating speed time but is not quick in local movement. Another example to explain the difference is a buffalo can out run a rabbit but a rabbit is a lot quicker.) It's all covered in sport's kinetics books.

The new players who have quickness and skill are the ones that are being sought after.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Knowing our luck, Price is going to return at the last moment and destroy any chance we have at a top 5 picks.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Therrien

He's getting one goal per game from this team. And allowing 3. The talent is better than that.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

This isn't true. Nill was offered an interview but I believe he said he wasn't ready/had unfinished business. A year later Nill was open for business and got Dallas job.

Source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44084

There's RDS link in there too.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Standings related, if all teams below Montreal won their games in hand (I know it's probably impossible) only Tampa, Buffalo, Toronto, Carolina, and Columbus would have fewer points and the Habs would be in a four way tie for eighth with Jersey, Pittsburgh and Philly.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm sure that was part of it.

This team will never be the best if it keeps following this stupid rule of the coach/GM having to be perfectly bilingual.

Again, I'm not in support of the French rule but it wasn't true. Nill and the habs were interested but Nill had a family issue to take care of.

I believe even Hextall got a call.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Again, I'm not in support of the French rule but it wasn't true. Nill and the habs were interested but Nill had a family issue to take care of.

I believe even Hextall got a call.

I believe your account is accurate, Nill removed himself from consideration on account of a serious and ongoing health matter involving his spouse.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I believe your account is accurate, Nill removed himself from consideration on account of a serious and ongoing health matter involving his spouse.

Well, I posted the source in post #18 of this thread.:laugh:

I remembered it from before as well. Nill was seen as a future GM a long time ago. He paid his dues and it was only a matter of time. Habs were interested and he may very well have been our next GM if not for the issues he had to deal with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad