Stan Kroenke joins real estate group building NHL/NBA quality arena in San Diego

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I meant that Canadians support their NHL clubs better than the small market cities in the US. The people in New Orleans love the Saints, but they're wearing paper bags over their heads in the lean times.

Canadians support their NHL clubs better than large market cities in the US do.
Yes Saints fans wore bags on their heads but they were still in the stadium. That's why the league had them play 4 games at LSU in the 05 season when they could have played the full season in San Antonio and why they were adamant they return when they could have easily moved to San Antonio full time and made more money there

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
San Diego is one of the most enjoyable places I've had the good fortune to visit. My guess is that a load of millionaires wouldn't mind living there should they be successful.

Plus, they have a fairly solid minor league hockey hsitory, to boot. Gulls/Ducks rivalry, anyone? Battle of the SoCal Birds?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
These days, if you want to get serious, evidently you need to put out a statement.

But I'm on record in this thread saying that San Diego has the biggest boom potential or any possible market.

Reactions: KevFu

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
These days, if you want to get serious, evidently you need to put out a statement.

But I'm on record in this thread saying that San Diego has the biggest boom potential or any possible market.

Agreed. No NBA or NFL?

This is what I don't get about all the people against expansion. It would be one thing if we were talking about markets too small for additional teams because they're tapped out, but..

Quebec, Hamilton, a second Toronto team, Atlanta, Houston, San Diego, Salt Lake, Portland.

That's eight cities where it definitely could work.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. No NBA or NFL?

This is what I don't get about all the people against expansion. It would be one thing if we were talking about markets too small for additional teams because they're tapped out, but..

Quebec, Hamilton, a second Toronto team, Atlanta, Houston, San Diego, Salt Lake, Portland.

Toronto 2 and Hamilton might as well be the same thing, which will never be allowed.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
San Diego is one of the most enjoyable places I've had the good fortune to visit. My guess is that a load of millionaires wouldn't mind living there should they be successful.

Plus, they have a fairly solid minor league hockey hsitory, to boot. Gulls/Ducks rivalry, anyone? Battle of the SoCal Birds?
I’ve been in San Diego for 14 years now. Originally from the Ohio Valley/Pittsburgh area. The sports fans that are in San Diego are rabid fans for their team. And the Gulls locally got a big boost in fans after the Chargers left the city. I’m sure there would be a decent base to follow a team. But they will run into the same problem with taxes that Kings/Sharks/Ducks have given its California. The biggest show in town sports wise will always be the Padres. But a NHL team could probably make it work as the #2 in town. They’d have to have a good student outreach program and military program (a big portion of the city and county area are military members. Big military town). The biggest problem they’d run into probably would be only about half of the people I ever meet in San Diego… Are from San Diego. They are all transplants from around the country or world. Maybe hard to convince them to change teams. But they could more than likely be successful in San Diego these things would just be their main hurdles I can think of.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Never been, but I head San Diego is amazing. Definitely on my list.

Agreed. No NBA or NFL?

One team I'll add (though I don't believe there's interest at this time) is Austin, TX. Of all the Sunbelt cities with rapid growth, I believe Austin is at the top. Huge corporate presence (a ton of tech), and zero major teams (though, I think there's an MLS team).

Haven't been there either. Would love to check it out, too.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Never been, but I head San Diego is amazing. Definitely on my list.

One team I'll add (though I don't believe there's interest at this time) is Austin, TX. Of all the Sunbelt cities with rapid growth, I believe Austin is at the top. Huge corporate presence (a ton of tech), and zero major teams (though, I think there's an MLS team).

Haven't been there either. Would love to check it out, too.

Issue with Austin is the University of Texas - might as well be a pro team.

It's the same idea as Columbus, which is home to Ohio State. I'm not quite sure if the NHL considers Columbus to be a successful franchise (although to be clear it's doing well enough and isn't moving anywhere).

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. No NBA or NFL?

Give me Atlanta, Houston, San Diego and Salt Lake. Move Nashville to the EC.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why wouldn't San Diego be a contender for an NBA franchise?

The NBA seems to be looking at Vegas, Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal, and maybe Nashville or Louisville. There are other outside the box suggestions, but SD doesn’t seem to be strongly on their radar.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Toronto 2 and Hamilton might as well be the same thing, which will never be allowed.

No doubt. But that still leaves you with six minimum.

Before getting into markets that COULD work if circumstances were right (i.e. Austin, San Antonio, Virginia Beach, where you're not going there until after Houston, or maybe not Virginia because the Carolina team is in Raleigh instead of Charlotte).

Issue with Austin is the University of Texas - might as well be a pro team.

It's the same idea as Columbus, which is home to Ohio State. I'm not quite sure if the NHL considers Columbus to be a successful franchise (although to be clear it's doing well enough and isn't moving anywhere).

Eh. Yes there's sports dollars competition, but mentioning Ohio State and the University of Texas isn't apples to apples when no one mentions ALL the others big colleges. There's not big massive colleges in every major league city, but most of the major cities have MULTIPLE smaller schools. Like no one on the East Coast is as big as Texas... but Philly has SIX division I schools, who combined have double the average attendance of the 76ers.

UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, St. Mary's, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Arizona St, San Diego St, San Diego (and another), TCU, SMU,North Texas, Houston, Rice, Northwestern, Butler, Cincinnati and Xavier, Pitt, Boston College (not as big but three others), Rutgers, St. John's, Seton Hall, Temple, Villanova (and St Joe's, La Salle and two others), Georgetown (and GW/Mason), Charlotte and Davidson, NC State, Miami (plus FAU/FIU), USF, UCF.... all of those schools listed by name are in the top 10 conferences, and that's not a complete list.

They would/should be. The NBA is kinda dumb. We're talking about talent dilution while they really only need nine guys for a new team. Rosters are bigger but guys 10-14 hardly ever play.

I also think the Clippers play a role there. They've been like, the unwanted stepchild of LA for decades and have actually been like a real team only in the last decade. If the Clippers were going strong, I think there'd be more NBA attention on San Diego.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
The NBA seems to be looking at Vegas, Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal, and maybe Nashville or Louisville. There are other outside the box suggestions, but SD doesn’t seem to be strongly on their radar.

Yeah but I figured the lack of arena was a holdup. I figured with how well San Diego State basketball has done that would be proof that the sport is popular there.

They would/should be. The NBA is kinda dumb. We're talking about talent dilution while they really only need nine guys for a new team. Rosters are bigger but guys 10-14 hardly ever play.

I also think the Clippers play a role there. They've been like, the unwanted stepchild of LA for decades and have actually been like a real team only in the last decade. If the Clippers were going strong, I think there'd be more NBA attention on San Diego.

I don't see the connection between the Clippers and San Diego (other than the fact that they used to be there). The Clippers new arena is two hours away. By comparison the Honda Center is about 90 minutes away so I could see it being a bit of an issue if the Clippers moved there like Anaheim tried to get them to do years ago.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah but I figured the lack of arena was a holdup. I figured with how well San Diego State basketball has done that would be proof that the sport is popular there.

It is a little odd, but in the news about the new arena there, the NHL seems to come up much more often than the NBA. Maybe it's just my preference bubble though.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I don't see the connection between the Clippers and San Diego (other than the fact that they used to be there). The Clippers new arena is two hours away. By comparison the Honda Center is about 90 minutes away so I could see it being a bit of an issue if the Clippers moved there like Anaheim tried to get them to do years ago.

It's pretty simple: Because the Clippers have been terrible, usually among the poorer franchises and not cultivating a large fan base...there isn't a perceived demand. There's not enough people rooting for the Clippers, so why should there be a THIRD Southern California team?

It's no different than MLB and Florida: Should they add a team in Orlando or Jacksonville? No, Florida doesn't support the Rays or Marlins, why add a third team?

If the Clippers were blowing up, doing well and making a lot of money, and Lakers/Clippers turns into like Mets/Yankees, Cubs/White Sox or even Warriors/Kings.... then the NBA would see dollar signs in San Diego .

(Which, remember this in about 12 years. The new Clippers arena is probably going to make that franchise so much better; and then you'll see demand for San Diego).

KevFu

May 22, 2009

You know, I totally misread this post. MLSE won't allow wither Hamilton or GTA2.

But I think that if ONE happens, the other could/would. Buying your way into the market just isn't possible. It only works if Rogers/Bell divorce and the territorial rights are used as phantom dollars in the deal to walk away.

Since the NHL would have to approve both the MLSE sale and expansion, they could totally force both parties into ceding Hamilton from their territory. At which point Hamilton would only have to buy off Buffalo.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

On Vegas, all the leagues are rushing there to get a piece of that sports betting pie. Even that idiot that owns the A's.

Just like weed, sooner or later, it will be legal in all 50. To own a franchise right in the middle of the gambling capital is huge.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
You know, I totally misread this post. MLSE won't allow wither Hamilton or GTA2.

But I think that if ONE happens, the other could/would. Buying your way into the market just isn't possible. It only works if Rogers/Bell divorce and the territorial rights are used as phantom dollars in the deal to walk away.

Since the NHL would have to approve both the MLSE sale and expansion, they could totally force both parties into ceding Hamilton from their territory. At which point Hamilton would only have to buy off Buffalo.

The only way I see a Bell/Rogers divorce is if one of the following happens (in order of likelihood):

1) the NBA expands to Montreal and Bell wants to go in on it
2) One of the companies needs to sell for financial reasons
3) Someone comes along and makes an offer like Fenway did a few years ago but they couldn't do because Rogers owns the Jays
4) Team valuations continue to skyrocket and one of them decides to take the money and run
5) One of the companies gets bought and the new owner doesn't want to be in the team-owning business (like what happened with the Jays)

KevFu

May 22, 2009
On Vegas, all the leagues are rushing there to get a piece of that sports betting pie. Even that idiot that owns the A's.

Just like weed, sooner or later, it will be legal in all 50. To own a franchise right in the middle of the gambling capital is huge.

I do want the record to reflect that I've been saying "pro sports treating Vegas as toxic because of gambling is actually the opposite of reality and dumb" for decades now.

It's just a logical mental connection: Vegas = Gambling. Sports + Vegas = Sports Gambling. Sports Gambling - Fixing. Bad!

But the reality is that Vegas is the #1 DEFENSE AGAINST FIXING. It's a large corporate infrastructure/business that does not want to pay out bets on fixed games. Vegas is the one alerting the FBI when there's suspicious action.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
The only way I see a Bell/Rogers divorce is if one of the following happens (in order of likelihood):

1) the NBA expands to Montreal and Bell wants to go in on it
I'd amend Montreal and add Vancouver as well, but otherwise, you're correct. As much as Ted is doing his damndest to try and wrest more control in terms of sports decisions within MLSE, there's simply no need or reason to ever split from one another considering all that is owned.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Could be, if NBA is planning on expanding to 36.

But 31 and 32 are all but confirmed, Vegas and Seattle.

But if San Diego lands an NHL team before then, I am not sure NBA will be interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad