Proposal: Stamkos to Rangers

Evergreen

At this point in his career, Stamkos is most effective on the PP. But he likes to play the same spot as Zibanejad, if I’m not mistaken. I just don’t think Stamkos is the kind of piece the Rangers need.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I would be willing to give up a first and Jones, he would help at our Center and RW issue.
I'm pretty sure he can't play 2 positions at once.

Neither Stamkos nor Giroux make sense. We need a top 6 RW and/or a 3C, either of whom can produce without significant PP time, because they won't be getting significant PP time with the Rangers.

You don't pay a premium for a guy who won't get significant PP time.

Reactions: cwede

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He has 100% of the control.

Which is exactly why I can't see him being dealt. Stamkos really seems to love it in Tampa & the Lightning are still in the playoff hunt so I can't see him be willing to waive his NMC. Not like he needs to go off somewhere to chase a Cup...plus the East is rather weak this year and Tampa could most certainly go on a run this postseason.

LGRDunDunDunDunDa

Mar 17, 2011
lots of good points and thanks for being fairly kind and not taking misconducts.
I do think he would only be a pure Rental for the Rangers so I feel the price is not 2 1sts and 2 Prospects but probably 1 and 2 of those, and a 3rd/4th for team retaining 2.5Million of his contract.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Stamkos would do absolutely nothing to help the rangers. He’s an aging vet who feasts on the pp and is absolutely cooked 5 on 5. Not helpful in the playoffs

In other words, exactly the kind of guy the rangers will target

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Stamkos would do absolutely nothing to help the rangers. He’s an aging vet who feasts on the pp and is absolutely cooked 5 on 5. Not helpful in the playoffs

In other words, exactly the kind of guy the rangers will target

This. Dosent even play center and some guy thinks he’s worth 2 1sts and 2 top prospects as a pending ufa lmao.

Give me a 1st and a TP and I say deal

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Would be a mistake to trade a haul for Stamkos at this point in his career for any team imo. He'll be a liability rather than an asset down the line.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
lots of good points and thanks for being fairly kind and not taking misconducts.
I do think he would only be a pure Rental for the Rangers so I feel the price is not 2 1sts and 2 Prospects but probably 1 and 2 of those, and a 3rd/4th for team retaining 2.5Million of his contract.
no
no more vets for youth
esp rentals

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Since I got Tampa-Rangers trades on the brain now, Martin St.Louis was traded for the 2014 & 2015 first round picks as well as Ryan Callahan. MSL was still a solid point producer even at that age and it took two late 1sts to get him. It's not the best comparison since MSL was a winger with an extra year on his contract but it's safe to say that Stamkos would probably fetch something like that as well as a #1 prospect or top young roster player in return.

2024 NYR 1st
2025 NYR 1st
one of Othmann/Sykora/Berard
one of Lafreniere/Kakko/Cuylle
one of Schneider/Miller/Lindgren

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Think at this point the Rangers would be best off not trading any top draft picks or prospects. We have needs and one of them would be a RW who could take top 6 minutes and Stamkos isn't use to playing RW. Wheeler handles the puck like a hand grenade. Well he's old. Getting him out and someone better in. But anyway the goaltending has been shaky too and going all in on another aging superstar.....we've done that plenty of times before and it's never really worked. Sooner or later you should learn from your mistakes, shouldn't you? Yeah it doesn't even happen with our political parties.

As long as Tampa's realistically in the playoff hunt I don't see them moving him anyway. I certainly wouldn't send them 3, 4, 5 top picks/prospects. f*** that. Let them do their own development.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Since I got Tampa-Rangers trades on the brain now, Martin St.Louis was traded for the 2014 & 2015 first round picks as well as Ryan Callahan. MSL was still a solid point producer even at that age and it took two late 1sts to get him. It's not the best comparison since MSL was a winger with an extra year on his contract but it's safe to say that Stamkos would probably fetch something like that as well as a #1 prospect or top young roster player in return.

2024 NYR 1st
2025 NYR 1st
one of Othmann/Sykora/Berard
one of Lafreniere/Kakko/Cuylle
one of Schneider/Miller/Lindgren
The St.Louis trade was a catastrophe. You don't add to your Captain to make deal for a guy in his mid 30s. The team should have been getting picks in return for Cally not adding 1st rounders for a guy who demanded to come to NY and NY only. Repeating this would be an even bigger mistake.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Clearly not what I said… lol. Rangers have nothing to do with it. They’re just the team last season, Kane chose.

If Stamkos is traded however, it will be to EXACTLY where he wants to be traded to. That’s no secret. He has a full NMC, and will pick his spot. He’s earned that right. It’s why he has a NMC.

So if he wants to go to play for Yzerman, guess where he’s going?? To Detroit, and they won’t be bidding against themselves.

The Lightning have no choice in the matter. If he doesn’t wanna play for the Leafs and they offered Knies, and four #1 picks, it’s all for not.

Now, they’ve come out and said he won’t be traded, but we know these things change. But if he’s traded, he’s picking where he’s going. That team will then come up with what they feel they’re willing to pay (like the Rangers did with Kane) and Tampa either takes it, or they don’t trade him. It’s real simple.

Like I said before, teams won’t play the entire “I’ll give you a 5th rounder” game, because managers have too much respect for each other. It won’t be anything great though.

Probably a mid grade prospect, a decent roster player, and a tiered pick. Meaning that pick would increase, depending on where that team finishes. So a 2nd that turns into a 1st if that team wins the Cup. Maybe another 3rd gets thrown in, if he signs a new contract with that team.

That's just reality. It’ll be fair, but nothing special.
Except this isn't the situation Kane was in. STamkos isn't hurt and is performing at ppg pace on a team that is still in the playoffs. If someone was going to acquire him from a team going to the playoffs they would need to blow them away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad