News Article: Stamkos favours tweet linking him to the leafs

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Much like Subban, Nash and many others, I'll believe it when I see it. Let me know when Stamkos signs here. We usually sign players on the tail end of their careers.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
While Tampa could offer Stamoks a better contract, there is absolutely zero doubt that he would rake in far more in endorsements in T.O.

Seriously, let's say that he actually does get signed here. I'm willing to bet his endorsement deals alone in the first season would eclipse his NHL salary. When you're making that kind of cash, the whole "higher taxes" is kind of a moot point.

IMO, if you're making even $3 million a year, money is something you don't have to worry about (as long as you stay away from illegal gambling).

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Stamkos will most likely stay in Tampa. If money is no concern for him, he would prefer the atmosphere there than here.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Steven_StamkosLeafs.png

He'll look pretty normal in blue and white...

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
While Tampa could offer Stamoks a better contract, there is absolutely zero doubt that he would rake in far more in endorsements in T.O.

Seriously, let's say that he actually does get signed here. I'm willing to bet his endorsement deals alone in the first season would eclipse his NHL salary. When you're making that kind of cash, the whole "higher taxes" is kind of a moot point.

IMO, if you're making even $3 million a year, money is something you don't have to worry about (as long as you stay away from illegal gambling).

not a friggen change in a frozen hell would it happen in the first year

as a matter of fact I highly doubt over the 7 year contract that he could even make up that last lost 8th year at say what? 11/12 million?

that 8th year will be worth about 11/12 million in guarantied money , now add in what he would get in endorsements down in Tbay and that is what we have to match just to break even and we only have 7 years to pull it off.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Someone who could go home closer to his family and get the same amount of money.

We have no idea what he is thinking, and it is still 2 years away.

this is true cor

one can only look at what has been the norm around the league and make educated guesses and assumptions.

that said

how many players have moved via UFA that one would call premier players?

atm, I can only think of 2 since the advent of the cap and they had a buddy buddy plan and 1 destination in mind.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The only two groups who should care about actual salary are:

1) The player
2) The owner

not entirely accurate DS

if by chance the team is motivated to trade said player, their actual cash owed outlay can greatly affect trade returns and destinations.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Bottomless pit who cares you can only spend to the cap limit, even if you have hundreds of billions.

Salary effects the caphit, so yes salary matters

well I think what was being referred to is cash paid per given season and the ways those can be manipulated to ones advantage.

a team like NYI would love to trade for a player that has a 7m cap hit and only say 1,2 million in cash left to be paid per year.

there is also this accounting thingy, (sorry, I'm unsure of the proper term or how the advantage is calculated) it's very advantageous to the player and agent when a team can payout as much cash as possible as soon as possible.

something to do with the premise that 7 million in hand now is worth more then 8 million ,10 years from now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
not a friggen change in a frozen hell would it happen in the first year

as a matter of fact I highly doubt over the 7 year contract that he could even make up that last lost 8th year at say what? 11/12 million?

that 8th year will be worth about 11/12 million in guarantied money , now add in what he would get in endorsements down in Tbay and that is what we have to match just to break even and we only have 7 years to pull it off.

This is true mathematically, but who knows how much term he's looking for? He signed his current deal in 2011, so he could have signed for much longer term. In comparison, Doughty signed for 8 years that summer, Tavares for 6 years.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
This is true mathematically, but who knows how much term he's looking for? He signed his current deal in 2011, so he could have signed for much longer term. In comparison, Doughty signed for 8 years that summer, Tavares for 6 years.

The tax rate will kill us

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The taxes is offset by the massive endorsements he will get here.

Look at Kevin Love. A day after he got traded to Clevland, he got a 350M+ endorsement deal which includes stake in the company from Under Armour.

Now imagine STAMKOS in TORONTO.

If it's about money for Stamkos, Toronto is quite easily the way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad