Confirmed with Link: Staios resigns, named POHO for Ottawa Senators.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He hired staois to create a development culture in hamilton and he did. That's not nepotism, it's trust. Staois earned all this.

Makes sense. His progression was pretty logical. He was always a hardcore training/preparation guy, even if he wasn't gifted with all the puck skill talent. So he jumped into player development with the Leafs. Then had to jump into coaching a bit when Leafs wiped out the coaching staff. Then uses that one his resume to get a OHL gig and knocks it out of the park. Gets a job here looking to get experience in an NHL front office and gets to pick Holland's brain. Then back to the owner he impressed the most to get his big break.

Maybe seems like he moved up faster than people expect, but he did well, earned his spots and played his cards right. Good for him. If he doesn't deliver, POHO job could be short, but makes sense for the owner to take a chance on the only guy that's won anything for him.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The amount of winning Staois did in that shallow resume is the impressive part. Lots of guys with deeper resumes, but staois created a systemic culture in Hamilton that they want in Ottawa

He hired staois to create a development culture in hamilton and he did. That's not nepotism, it's trust. Staois earned all this.
Bob green created a juggernaught in Edmonton

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Good for Staios, that’s a big leap to go from an advisor to POHO. Hope he does well, he’ll need a lot of strong people supporting him.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
There were reports that this was going to happen months ago when Jeff Jackson was hired and Staios lost his front runner status for the GM job, yet Holland was straight up denying the rumors when asked just a week or two ago. Yet here Staios is out of Edmonton and off to Ottawa in a move that's probably been in the works for a while, confirming the initial reports.

Just another example of why press conferences with team executives are generally a waste of time, they don't openly speak about what's going on behind the scenes when talking to the fanbase via the media.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
There were reports that this was going to happen months ago when Jeff Jackson was hired and Staios lost his front runner status for the GM job, yet Holland was straight up denying the rumors when asked just a week or two ago. Yet here Staios is out of Edmonton and off to Ottawa in a move that's probably been in the works for a while, confirming the initial reports.

Just another example of why press conferences with team executives are generally a waste of time, they don't openly speak about what's going on behind the scenes when talking to the fanbase via the media.
LOL.
I predicted this in early. Have a look in my post history.
It was obvious.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I wonder what an OBC version 2 would be like running the Oilers. Guys like Guerin, Weight, Staois seem like smart hockey people.
Kevin Lowe and MacTavish did great work until they didn't. those early 2000's Oiler teams were hardworking and always in the game.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

“When Steve came on board this year, he did player development and Ontario scouting. I think that Steve should do more of the things that an assistant general manager does.
There are different roles for an assistant GM. Keith Gretzky is responsible AHL for Bakersfield. He’s there on an everyday basis working with the coach. Bill Scott works with me on the salary cap and the contracts. My son Brad runs the pro scouting.
Assistant managers go to games, NHL games, AHL games, and he’s the right-hand man in the decision-making process when it’s time for a trade or free agency.”

Obviously these short blurbs can be open to interpretation, but it sounds to me like Holland’s message was that he’s not necessarily ready to slow down and that he sees Staios’ next step as an assistant GM. He also mentions three other men that have all been around the team longer, which gives me the idea that Staios was 1 of 4 men in the conversation for promotion.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that before.

In terms of interpretation though, I think you've overlaid a filter that isn't really there. The article clearly states:
1) Holland will retire or stay on only as POHO. There is no mention of him staying on as GM.
2) Holland wants Staois (this season) to take on an INCREASED (that's right in the title) role as AGM. Holland describes that role as "right hand man", which clearly indicates (at least to me) he's grooming him for GM. And finally...
3) While he mentions the other guys, he clearly defines their roles and doesn't describe them as AGM. One guy does scouting, one guy does cap, one guy does AHL... and Staios will be AGM.

So to me, it's pretty clear they had him in there future plans. Now, the Sens obviously were able to accelerate that timeline by (at least) one season by making Staios GM this year and remove any uncertainty as to his career trajectory.

Sounds to me like Staios just wasn't ready to wait around and maybe valued the past relationship with Andlauer... not much else the Oilers could have done (other than have Holland step back from GM this year, even with one year left on his contract - can see why they wouldn't have done that... $$$ still matters).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hopefully Staios ships some disgruntled Sens talent our way for picks/prospects

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Bob green created a juggernaught in Edmonton
I know I sound like a fanboy but only really exceptional people continue to inform the practices of an organization after they leave.

Staios unified every part of that organization into a common structure, ie philosophy, from the ground up, and that framework persists in Hamilton. That is what Ottawa wants, the leadership.

He heavily weighed group dynamics, community, and character in evaluation and it worked. Analytics is easy. Trades are easy. Correctly identifying great people when they are teenagers is hard, very qualitative

We f***ed up. Maybe he chose them. Even if he flames out in Ottawa, he is still best option for all 30 teams at the moment and we had him imo

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Except for Lowe and MacTavish with their stream of consciousness blathering. :laugh:

Reactions: Tarus

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Also Gleason. Hamilton excelled at finding players that fit so well they overachieved.

Staois knew the player very well, this is one of his guys. And Holland isn't trolling the market for Nill's castoffs lol

2 year deal, on a depth contract, already made the team imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad