Confirmed with Link: Staios resigns, named POHO for Ottawa Senators.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017

OTTAWAOttawa Senators owner Michael Andlauer announced today that Steve Staios has been appointed Senators’ President of Hockey Operations. Reporting to Andlauer, Staios will preside over the Senators’ hockey department.

Tough loss for the organization, but not surprising given Holland’s comments a few months ago.
What were Hollands comments?

Did the hiring of Jackson change the future with the Oilers for Staios?

Thought people were thinking staois might have a bright future with what he did in the OHL......

That's Quite the jump for your first NHL gig. Like they say it's not what you know it's who you know....

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
What were Hollands comments?

Did the hiring of Jackson change the future with the Oilers for Staios?

Thought people were thinking staois might have a bright future with what he did in the OHL......

IIRC, he was asked if he considered promoting Staios to GM as he is on the last year of his contract, with the assumption that Holland would be left with the POHO title. Holland was non committal, and said Staios should get some experience as an assistant GM, while mentioning guys like Brad Holland, Bill Scott and Keith Gretzky.

Nothing damning, but when you have a POHO job lined up and your current organization views you a few positions lower, it’s a no brainer.

Reactions: ujju2 and rec28

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Figured Staios would climb fast up some ladder in the NHL. 2nd gen OBC Oilers doing well for themselves, and doing it the right way, actually earning jobs instead of kissing Katz's butt as their only way in.

Too bad he didn't stick here, but I guess we made our choices on the next gen of our management group. Staios knew he could do better than what we were offering.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Figured Staios would climb fast up some ladder in the NHL. 2nd gen OBC Oilers doing well for themselves, and doing it the right way, actually earning jobs instead of kissing Katz's butt as their only way in.

Too bad he didn't stick here, but I guess we made our choices on the next gen of our management group. Staios knew he could do better than what we were offering.
I mean one could argue that Staois skipped a few steps in the process to becoming POHO though his relationship with Andlauer.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I mean one could argue that Staois skipped a few steps in the process to becoming POHO though his relationship with Andlauer.

By knocking it out of the park for him in other management roles? To me that's the typical and expected way people move their way up. Not going from coaching your kids hockey team as your only coaching/management credential to becoming the owners right hand man hiring the POHO of an NHL team.

Staios killed it in the OHL, created demand for himself and leveraged it to move up. Impressive TBH.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I never really understood the whole fiasco with Staios. Like I'm sure he's fine, but I don't see anything there that makes me think this will really hurt the team's future. Lots of guys have run successful junior programs, unless he's some sort of hockey savant I don't really get it.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I never really understood the whole fiasco with Staios. Like I'm sure he's fine, but I don't see anything there that makes me think this will really hurt the team's future. Lots of guys have run successful junior programs, unless he's some sort of hockey savant I don't really get it.

Yep. Just look at a guy like Mark Hunter. I wish him the best in Ottawa, but I’m also not concerned about what our management will be next year

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Serious question, who becomes our next GM when Holland retires?

Before I would of said Ken Holland maybe goes to PoHo or some kind of advisory role. And then Brad Holland takes over. It wouldnt of surprised me.

With Jeff Jackson now, we will see. I dont know if anyone really knows.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yep. Just look at a guy like Mark Hunter. I wish him the best in Ottawa, but I’m also not concerned about what our management will be next year
Did Mark Hunter ever really get a shot? Co-GM with Dubas, Lou's underling, then Leafs go with the trendy pick after Lou leaves. Hunter pretty happy to keep making money off his Knights org, he was probably only ever willing to leave that team he owns to try to help the Leafs not suck.

In any case though, never really know how someone will do in the NHL. New GM/management hires, you're always taking a chance. But at least you give yourself a better shot if you know the guy has shown they are capable and can succeed in a similar role. Not just going off their player history and storytelling over drinks skills.

Sounds like Staios made some big and surprising moves to get the success he got in the OHL. Can see why we tried to pull him in, but also why the Sens gave him an offer he couldn't refuse to come back.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
By knocking it out of the park for him in other management roles? To me that's the typical and expected way people move their way up. Not going from coaching your kids hockey team as your only coaching/management credential to becoming the owners right hand man hiring the POHO of an NHL team.

Staios killed it in the OHL, created demand for himself and leveraged it to move up. Impressive TBH.
You are in fantasy land if you think their relationship had nothing to do with the hire.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You are in fantasy land if you think their relationship had nothing to do with the hire.

What relationship are we talking about? One that Staios cultivated by working for Andlauer for 6 years and succeeding for him in the OHL?

Like I said, climbing the normal way. Not jumping from coaching your kids atom team to a top management job in the NHL by having drinks with Katz.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What relationship are we talking about? One that Staios cultivated by working for Andlauer for 6 years and succeeding for him in the OHL?

Like I said, climbing the normal way. Not jumping from coaching your kids atom team to a top management job in the NHL by having drinks with Katz.
Climbing the normal way isn’t going from OHL GM to nhl POHO.

So no, it’s not like you said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad