Stafford vs. Frolik

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
If the Jets had decided to only sign one of Stafford or Frolik last off-season, who would you take?

At the time, I would have easily taken Frolik. But as the season goes on, I'm less and less convinced of that. While Stafford is a more one dimensional player, he provides some much needed sniping that the Jets often lack.

So far on the year, Stafford has twice as many goals as Frolik, and more assists. He leads the Jets in scoring after tonight's game. And he's achieved that even with the chunk of time he spent playing with Lowry and Burmi on the 3rd. In our run up to playoffs last year, Stafford was also a key contributor.

Frolik is younger, and his contract would have been longer, allowing him to contribute to the Jets for more years. But the Jets are pretty strong in forward prospects. I'm not sure Frolik's services would have been needed 4 years down the road.

I expect most to vote Frolik, but I'm going against the grain on this one. +1 Stafford.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
All I can say is I'm glad Frolik was let go. One of the best UFA signings for the Flames in a very long time.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
All I can say is I'm glad Frolik was let go. One of the best UFA signings for the Flames in a very long time.

Yep. My OP was biased towards Stafford, since I figured Frolik was the obvious answer (and the poll results reflect that so far). So I figured I needed to make an argument for Stafford.

But Frolik was an absolute gem for the Jets while we had him. Chevy's inability to sign him is still a sore point often discussed around here.

Flair Hay

Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I definitely agree Stafford gets under sold sometimes. He's nothing special but he's been a consistent 20/20 guy when he's on good teams

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Untitled.png

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You we get a little beat up on this one Puck. But it was never between Stafford and Frolik. Stafford is proving to be a really nice player for them. Hell of a nice game tonight.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
For me, the debate was never between stafford and frolik now. That's obviously frolik although staff has played ok. It's frolik against the winger depth we will hopefully have in years 3-5 of fro's deal.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
You we get a little beat up on this one Puck. But it was never between Stafford and Frolik. Stafford is proving to be a really nice player for them. Hell of a nice game tonight.

Yep, I knew that going in. :laugh:

Also Garret, thanks for the chart. I am fully aware of how they compare stats wise, which is why I said I would have chosen Fro during the off-season.

Still, I'd say Stafford was more impactful last season than Fro, during the time they were both on the team. I'd say Stafford has been more impactful this season than Frolik has been for Calgary. At some point, "what have you done for me lately" becomes relevant, when "lately" stretches into a season long performance.

Derfel*

I guess it comes down to value over the next 2-3 years - what can you get out of each player for what you are paying for them.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

I wonder if that's true? You might be right. But do you think for sure we would have signed Stafford had Frolik signed?

At the time, Chevy was probably considering signing both Buff and Ladd, since the team had come off a playoff year. All of the cap concerns we discussed around here would have been on his mind.

There were arguments both ways about how much cap trouble that would have put us in. Although in those arguments, people always assume the Jets would be ok with spending to the cap limit. Without consideration of the internal cap. Chipman said we'd spend closer to the cap when the time was right, but we don't really know the details of when that might be.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Cup winning teams need a few elite players complimented by players who play 2/way and prevent goals while they are on the ice. Neither is in the former group and Fro blows the doors off Stafford in the latter.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Cup winning teams need a few elite players complimented by players who play 2/way and prevent goals while they are on the ice. Neither is in the former group and Fro blows the doors off Stafford in the latter.

Yep, there's no doubt that Frolik is a fantastic 2 way player, with strong defensive skills. But I'd argue, since his arrival to the Jets, Stafford's scoring has outweighed that difference in defense.

Just looking at goals, Stafford has 8 more this year. He has a few more assists, too. I doubt Stafford's defensive liability, compared to Frolik, has cost the Jets that many points.

... hmm, unless maybe Frolik would have tightened up our PK. In that case, I'd have to reconsider.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just looking at goals, Stafford has 8 more this year. He has a few more assists, too. I doubt Stafford's defensive liability, compared to Frolik, has cost the Jets that many points.

Stafford has also played 10 more games and is shooting 2%+ over his career shooting percentage

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Stafford has also played 10 more games and is shooting 2%+ over his career shooting percentage

Ok, for sure the extra games matter. I should have taken that under consideration.

But Stafford's shooting percentage was stellar last year too. I remember people saying there's no way it can last. While maybe not at last year's level (I didn't check), it seems to me it's holding up pretty good.

I know the sample size is still relatively small. But that sample size also corresponds with his entire tenure with the Jets. So all I can say is that since he started playing as a Jet, the guy has been a huge offensive contributor.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
One was happy to be here since day one.
Signed a contract that is team friendly
Seems to be good with all the other players
Key contributor and veteran for the team.

I pick that Guy ... :)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I wish we had both, alas. You win by having 2 way players, plus players that can consistently bury the puck.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Frolik pretty easily for me.

Much better defensively, really good PKer and is about the same offensively.

Also in regards to Frolik having less goals than Stafford, Frolik was out a good month+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad