Flyers own St Louis' 1st round pick in 2018, 14th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I think Richards18Forever has been broken by Hakstol. Posting the same message twice in an hour. What has he done to this board?

giphy.gif

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Slackers, we need some updates. I guess I'm the guy to pick up the slack.

1-10
1. Coyotes 57 points in 71 games
2. Sabres 58 points in 71 games
3. Canucks 59 points in 72 games
4. Redwings 63 points in 71 games
5. Senators 63 points in 71 games
6. Canadiens 64 points in 72 games
7. Oilers 67 points in 71 games
8. Blackhawks 68 points in 72 games
9. Islanders 70 points in 71 games
10. Hurricanes 71 points in 71 games

11 - 15
11. Rangers 72 points in 72 games
12. Panthers 77 points in 69 games
13. Flames 80 points in 72 games
14. Blues 81 points in 71 games
15. Ducks 84 points in 72 games

Western Conference Wildcard Standings
1. Avalanche 84 points in 71 games
2. Stars 84 points in 72 games
3. Ducks 84 points in 72 games
4. Blues 81 points in 71 games
5. Flames 80 points in 72 games

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Now we can root for a total St Louis collapse, since Carolina is unlikely to make up 10 points in 11 games even if St Louis tanks.
I'll be happy picking #12-14, along with say #22, which was probably the general expectation before the season. :sarcasm:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Now we can root for a total St Louis collapse, since Carolina is unlikely to make up 10 points in 11 games even if St Louis tanks.
I'll be happy picking #12-14, along with say #22, which was probably the general expectation before the season. :sarcasm:
Yeah, pretty much no chance St. Louis ends up in the top 10 barring a miraculous Flyers like lottery win and the Rangers are pretty far behind the pack at 11. So there is an excellent chance the pick is in the 12-15 range, and even if the make the playoffs it's probably somewhere between 16-20. When the trade was made I figured the pick would be in the mid 20's somewhere, so along with the huge development for Morgan Frost this year this trade is actually starting to look pretty good.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Keep rooting for losses from them as they won't drop into the top 10 without a lottery win. Chicago plays them 3 times and we need help from an old foe.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, pretty much no chance St. Louis ends up in the top 10 barring a miraculous Flyers like lottery win and the Rangers are pretty far behind the pack at 11. So there is an excellent chance the pick is in the 12-15 range, and even if the make the playoffs it's probably somewhere between 16-20. When the trade was made I figured the pick would be in the mid 20's somewhere, so along with the huge development for Morgan Frost this year this trade is actually starting to look pretty good.

Still too soon for me to call it a good trade. At least one of the picks has to become an NHLer as good as Schenn, and that remains to be seen. Probably will need another 2 years before we can really evaluate the trade.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Still too soon for me to call it a good trade. At least one of the picks has to become an NHLer as good as Schenn, and that remains to be seen. Probably will need another 2 years before we can really evaluate the trade.

I think the Schenn trade is a great trade. There was $5 million freed up, the Flyers added two additional first round picks to help the rebuild and they moved Schenn somewhere that he could play in his natural role. He wasn't going to beat out Couturier, Patrick, Filppula and Laughton for one of the center spots and he seemed to be hit and miss in the winger role. I think keeping him in Philadelphia would have been a detriment to his career and Hextall did him a solid.

As for the players, I get that the Flyers had to take on the salary of Lehtera. I don't like it anymore than you do, but hopefully Hextall buys him out this summer. In terms of the first round picks, Morgan Frost is looking like the second coming of Giroux and the first this year could mean one of Barrett Hayton, Joe Veleno, Joel Farabee, Isaac Lunderstrom, etc....It could mean packaging the pick with a prospect and moving up. Or, it could mean moving down and adding even more assets.

The flexibility of the Schenn trade can't be stated enough. There are lots of options that have opened because of this trade.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Tarasenko has rotten luck this year. Hopefully he finishes the year on a quiet note and I can draft him in pretty sweet spot next year.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Bit OT, but if Hexy gets a good value for simmer then it would be just another chain in a pretty exceptional asset management that started with 24th overall in 2003.
We got to watch prime Mike Richards
One June 23rd deal later...
We got to watch prime Simmer and prime-ish Schenn.
Pretty sick value, especially if you consider the $$ they all played here for. Not to even mention assets to come after Schenn and Simmer.

Richie might no longer suit up in orange and black, but his legacy is still having a big impact on this team.
giphy.gif

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Bit OT, but if Hexy gets a good value for simmer then it would be just another chain in a pretty exceptional asset management that started with 24th overall in 2003.
We got to watch prime Mike Richards
One June 23rd deal later...
We got to watch prime Simmer and prime-ish Schenn.
Pretty sick value, especially if you consider the $$ they all played here for. Not to even mention assets to come after Schenn and Simmer.

Richie might no longer suit up in orange and black, but his legacy is still having a big impact on this team.
giphy.gif

The Richards and Carter trades were the two best transactions in team history. Not only in terms of value of what we got back but how quickly Richards deteriorated soon after.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Richards and Carter trades were the two best transactions in team history. Not only in terms of value of what we got back but how quickly Richards deteriorated soon after.

I think this is a slight overstatement. I'd take the LeClair + Desjardins for Recchi (Recchi for Desjardins straight up was probably a steal, and LeClair was better than Recchi) and Howe and Derrick Smith for Linseman over the Carter trade. As we know, the Flyers have been historically awful at developing defensemen and these moves got them cornerstone No. 1 D men for SCF runs.

Also, I suppose LA is happy with the results of the Richards trade.

Reactions: Rebels57

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Morgan Frost is going to have to be significantly better than Schenn for that trade to be good.

It depends how u look at it I don't think frost has to he better than schenn because schenn was moved to make a spot for Patrick in the top 6 if we kept schenn he would have been the 3lw. If frost becomes a top 9 player with upside we did well which I think he easily does. Schenn did not fit here and we have an extra 1st for taking lehtera's bad contract for 2 years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Morgan Frost is going to have to be significantly better than Schenn for that trade to be good.

Yeah i'm not following this line of thinking..

Frost + 2018 1st could end up blowing Schenn out of the water value wise without either being "significantly better" players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost doesn't have to be better than Schenn (which I expect in any case) because he's a better fit than Schenn.
It's not just talent, but fit.
Schenn was meh at 3C, he'd be a solid 3 RW, after we traded Simmonds, but he's been replaced on the PP1 by Couts with no fall off.
Whereas Frost has a chance to be a top 6 talent at 3C who can play with almost any forward, making it easier to build a team.

Reactions: Legion of Gloom

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Stl winning more than I would like. Hopefully they still miss.

I figure the Blues get on a run, squeak into the playoffs, then make it to the final only to lose to Pittsburgh. It is the worst of all worlds for us. Pittsburgh wins the Cup and the Blues get the 30th pick. It is what I picked before the season started for that very reason. As a Flyers fan, bad things must happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad