Tokyo, JP
The sun is hot.

giphy.gif

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
We should trade Patrick, Sanheim, Provorov, Konecny, Myers, and Hart for a 2nd round pick each.

Then use those 2nd round picks and hope to get a franchise player with all 6 of them.

I don't like to make good judgements, I like to live dangerously.

Oh yes because getting an unprotected pick and an additional 3rd round pick in exchange for a protected pick is the same thing as trading big time prospects for second round picks! You are so clever!

Reactions: VoiceOfTheFlyers

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
No disrespect for Giraffes or Clowns, but the 1st round pick from St Louis will be a good one. I am hoping for at least a middle six forward or a top 4 defenseman There should not be any worry for a Flyers fan for the top 2 lines and the top D pairing, correct? It is the dreadful bottom 6 forwards and bottom 4 D that worries us all. And the goalies. The mother of all Carousels. Wasn't that a Hollies song " Riding a Carousel" - Graham Nash?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh yes because getting an unprotected pick and an additional 3rd round pick in exchange for a protected pick is the same thing as trading big time prospects for second round picks! You are so clever!
Oh dear, you caught me.

It's not AS dumb, but it's of a similar dumb mindset.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, we were supposed to be battling for a WC spot at best this season. Blues were supposed to be contending for the Presidents Trophy.

If we lose in the first round, we aren't choking. If the Blues miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, that's a huge choke job for them

And they're expecting to not make the playoffs, why else would they trade Stastny? The rest of the season needs to play out, but that pick looks to be as good as ours (pending the ping pong ball gods.)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
Well, we were supposed to be battling for a WC spot at best this season. Blues were supposed to be contending for the Presidents Trophy.

If we lose in the first round, we aren't choking. If the Blues miss the playoffs or lose in the first round, that's a huge choke job for them
We're choking now. We were in a tie for first. Lost it and now losing even more ground in 3rd place. Preseason predictions mean nothing.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Oh dear, you caught me.

It's not AS dumb, but it's of a similar dumb mindset.
Lol. Really people trade picks all the time and move back while picking up additional picks. This trade is actually a trade with the potential to move up, back, or stay the same while picking up an additional pick but it is similar to trading top prospects for second round picks. Excellent point. I suppose you are right.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We're choking now. We were in a tie for first. Lost it and now losing even more ground in 3rd place. Preseason predictions mean nothing.

Only a fool would have thought that the flyers being in first for all of two days was an accurate representation of the Flyers ability to play hockey. What did we play, like 2 playoff bound teams during that stretch?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
OMG sorry "similar dumb mindset." I know your response was going to be "I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS SIMILAR YOU DUM DUM!!!!!!! LOL YOU ARE STUPID!"

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Lol. Really people trade picks all the time and move back while picking up additional picks. This trade is actually a trade with the potential to move up, back, or stay the same while picking up an additional pick but it is similar to trading top prospects for second round picks. Excellent point. I suppose you are right.

I ddint read the whol thread, but it could be easily argued that St Louis' first this year at 11-4th overall - or wherever it lands, could be a top prospect while their 19 first at potentially late 20s is essentially a 2nd round pick. Maybe thats what Striiker was getting at, or whoever made the original point?

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
Only a fool would have thought that the flyers being in first for all of two days was an accurate representation of the Flyers ability to play hockey. What did we play, like 2 playoff bound teams during that stretch?
No one said any such thing. However, stranger things have happened. I'm still expecting some sort of collapse.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No one said any such thing. However, stranger things have happened. I'm still expecting some sort of collapse.

Im not sure i understand your stance then. If everyone knew we werent a 1st place team, us coming back to earth now isnt 'choking', we're just performing where we should be.

If anything, being in first was a gross over achievement.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd say any pick between 11-20 is solid, not as good as the top 10 but still a good bet not to spend much, if any time, in the AHL.
Above #20 is more iffy, but Rubtsov could still be a solid player, Konecny #24 and Frost #37 shows Hextall can find good value there.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

OMG sorry "similar dumb mindset." I know your response was going to be "I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS SIMILAR YOU DUM DUM!!!!!!! LOL YOU ARE STUPID!"

Relax there dude, I'm just kidding. :laugh:

My point is that a 3rd round pick is not nearly enough added value to risk getting a 1st round pick that could very easily be 5-10 spots later than the one we're looking at getting this year, which looks like it'll end up somewhere between 12-15.

If it somehow ended up being pushed to next year (which it won't, they won't fall that far), it's also very possible that they get back to where they were expected to be this year, somewhere between 20-31. For example, last year their 1st round pick was 20th... 26th the year before... and 25th before that.

If we had the 20th pick and wanted to trade up to 12-15, you know the asking price would be a hell of a lot more than a 3rd round pick.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Relax there dude, I'm just kidding. :laugh:

My point is that a 3rd round pick is not nearly enough added value to risk getting a 1st round pick that could very easily be 5-10 spots later than the one we're looking at getting this year, which looks like it'll end up somewhere between 12-15.

If it somehow ended up being pushed to next year (which it won't, they won't fall that far), it's also very possible that they get back to where they were expected to be this year, somewhere between 20-31. For example, last year their 1st round pick was 20th... 26th the year before... and 25th before that.

If we had the 20th pick and wanted to trade up to 12-15, you know the asking price would be a hell of a lot more than a 3rd round pick.

I think the easiest way to look at this is to ask yourself this - what would it take to move up from 24th overall to 13th overall? The cost to move u p that much is generally more than a 3rd i would think.

Now obviously there are other considerations to be made, since the picks are in different years, different draft depths, etc. But in its most basic sense, a late first + 3rd liekly doesnt move you into the top 15.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A stucasm.

Stupidity + Sarcasm=Stucasm.
My specialty.

I think the easiest way to look at this is to ask yourself this - what would it take to move up from 24th overall to 13th overall? The cost to move u p that much is generally more than a 3rd i would think.

Now obviously there are other considerations to be made, since the picks are in different years, different draft depths, etc. But in its most basic sense, a late first + 3rd liekly doesnt move you into the top 15.
Exactly.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad