Flyers own St Louis' 1st round pick in 2018, 14th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd say any pick between 11-20 is solid, not as good as the top 10 but still a good bet not to spend much, if any time, in the AHL.
Above #20 is more iffy, but Rubtsov could still be a solid player, Konecny #24 and Frost #37 shows Hextall can find good value there.
Just a typo....but Frost at #27.

I 100% hope for their 1st this year while missing the playoffs. As I showed earlier, they are usually a 99+ point team.

But right now, they are in a dogfight but seem to be rebounding from their fall. We need them to lose the games against their guys they are fighting with.

They have 3 games against Chicago. We need them to step up.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I ddint read the whol thread, but it could be easily argued that St Louis' first this year at 11-4th overall - or wherever it lands, could be a top prospect while their 19 first at potentially late 20s is essentially a 2nd round pick. Maybe thats what Striiker was getting at, or whoever made the original point?
Sure that's definitely possible. That's why I'm not saying that this is a slam dunk home run move. But the opposite is possible too. Like I said, people trade back and pick up extra picks all the time. Why is trading a protected first this year for an unprotected pick next year plus a third in any way like trading our top prospects for second rounders? That sounds like something this team (and other teams) do on a regular basis, only with a chance of moving up not a guarantee to move back. I mean, if they go from let's say 14 to 22 and pick up a third rounder in the process...should we call for Hextall's head? He moved back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! How coul dhe do that?SdG?ASFA?SDFG?

But somehow it is like trading a top prospect for a second rounder to punt this year, pick up another pick, and maybe get a higher draft pick.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Sure that's definitely possible. That's why I'm not saying that this is a slam dunk home run move. But the opposite is possible too. Like I said, people trade back and pick up extra picks all the time. Why is trading a protected first this year for an unprotected pick next year plus a third in any way like trading our top prospects for second rounders? That sounds like something this team (and other teams) do on a regular basis, only with a chance of moving up not a guarantee to move back. I mean, if they go from let's say 14 to 22 and pick up a third rounder in the process...should we call for Hextall's head? He moved back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! How coul dhe do that?SdG?ASFA?SDFG?

But somehow it is like trading a top prospect for a second rounder to punt this year, pick up another pick, and maybe get a higher draft pick.

Because the probability of the blues first being lower next year than it is this year is exceptionally low.

Unless, of course, they lose a good portion if their top players to injury again, and don't upgrade their goaltending. At the very least, one of those things not happening is very unlikely, hence the chances of the pick being low aren't good.

And the Flyers aren't really at a point where they need depth. They need quality. There's a better chance to find that at 11-15 than 20-25.

There's also the issue that, as already mentioned, a mid first for a late first and a third isn't good value.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I already told you I was only kidding....
It was a massive exaggeration in the hopes that it would be obvious I wasn’t serious...

But the real answer is that a 3rd isn’t even close to enough value to bridge the likely gap in 1st round pick quality.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I already told you I was only kidding....
It was a massive exaggeration in the hopes that it would be obvious I wasn’t serious...

But the real answer is that a 3rd isn’t even close to enough value to bridge the likely gap in 1st round pick quality.
I'd say it's pretty close. Last year a deal was made between I think Chicago and SJ to move back six spots or so and the compensation was a third round pick. Also, the point about all of this is that there's a chance the pick is actually higher next year. While I agree it is more likely to be the same or lower, you cannot just ignore the fact that there's a chance it is higher. They've had injuries this year, but those happen every year to every team (end every year to their key guys like Bobby Fabbri, Jaden Schwartz, and JayBo :laugh:). I'm not suggesting it is a home run if they have punt that it will be higher, but you can't just assume it will be.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
So as of tonight the pick is 13th assuming they don't win the lottery, is that correct?

bill.gif

You are correct, sir!

And Florida is just two points behind them and has two games in hand.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
12/13th is better than our wildest dreams really. However, we all know how the 13th overall does in the lottery.
If it is outside of top ten but then they win the lottery is the pick still ours? Or is it top ten protected post-lottery?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
They play CBus in one of their remaining games too.

Who the hell do we cheer for in that game?

St.L I guess.

St Louis is probably the safe bet. If you wanted to balance the best of both worlds, an OT win for CBJ wouldnt hurt either. At the end of the day, we control our own destiny in regards to the playoff picture. We shouldnt have to rely on other teams losing to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad