Proposal: Stützle, perfect match for Tkachuk?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
In the midst of the hype for our third overall selection, I’ve been going through countless video highlights of Byfield & Stützle.

I came across this pretty popular highlight video numerous times and have watched it countless times, but today I noticed something...

His linemate Ben Smith plays a very similar game to Tkachuk it seems. Right in front of the net, in the prime scoring areas. It seems Stützle likes generating offence by placing pucks in areas that Tkachuk is usually in.

If he can recreate this style of offence in the NHL I think a Tkachuk & Stützle duo is going to do very well. Especially with Tkachuks ability in tight in front of the net.

Does anyone else see a potential match made in heaven or is it just me?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Stutzle is going to be elite , he is gonna make lots of players look good, even Brady who is already good

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im super excited to see what Stutzle could possible do with Batherson and/or Brown tbh. My dream scenario is Stutzle with Batherson tearing through defenses on one line and Tkachuk-Norris reigning havoc on our "2nd". With Chabot/JBD on the first shift and Sanderson/Brannstrom on the second :drool: :wedgie:

or Tkachuk-Byfield-Raymond (lol gorgeous)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brady & Byfield is equally intriguing possibly with Bath. That’s a big, strong, fast line to handle. It would really limit what dman other teams could matchup against Ottawa.

It also softens that match vs Brown, Norris and whoever emerges on a second line. We have the potential to build one of the biggest, fastest forward groups in the NHL.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Stutzle would benefit more from Brady than Byfield would benefit from Brady.

Stutzle game is all about puck control, time and space, creating lanes and opportunities. Having a guy like Tkachuk battling in front of the net, driving hard and banging and crashing opens up that space for Stutlze to make plays.

Byfield's game is more on the rush, turnovers, and 2 on 1's. Yes he does show some creativity in the offensive zone, but for the most part his game appears to be more shooter and someone who like a shark roams in the offensive zone waiting for opportunities to strike.

While I do think Brady has an underrated passing and creativity to his game, I just think that he and Stutzle will mesh better than Byfield and Brady.

Byfield would benefit most from playing with Batherson I think.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Stutzle game is all about puck control, time and space, creating lanes and opportunities. Having a guy like Tkachuk battling in front of the net, driving hard and banging and crashing opens up that space for Stutlze to make plays.

Byfield's game is more on the rush, turnovers, and 2 on 1's. Yes he does show some creativity in the offensive zone, but for the most part his game appears to be more shooter and someone who like a shark roams in the offensive zone waiting for opportunities to strike.

While I do think Brady has an underrated passing and creativity to his game, I just think that he and Stutzle will mesh better than Byfield and Brady.

I agree that Brady is more creative than what he gets credit for ... I just worry our org won’t have a pure trigger to take advantage of Stutzles creativity unless they look at Holtz or Duclair shows more consistency.

Reactions: DJB

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed. I think they need to go after a solid 2nd pairing D. Someone who people think may unlock their scoring potential over time but in the end never really gets there.

I would like to really focus on drafting character this draft.

Reactions: mdysi

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
To me it's really close between Byfield and Stutzle, but it's going to come down to patience. Byfield has the ability to be the better player in the long term, but will require more time and development. Stutz is going to come in as a immediate provider in my opinion.

I already dread the threads about Byfield being a bust after 1 year.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Agreed. I think they need to go after a solid 2nd pairing D. Someone who people think may unlock their scoring potential over time but in the end never really gets there.

ceci.gif

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Byfield is our best case scenario and its not even close

Why?

To me it's really close between Byfield and Stutzle, but it's going to come down to patience. Byfield has the ability to be the better player in the long term, but will require more time and development. Stutz is going to come in as a immediate provider in my opinion.

I already dread the threads about Byfield being a bust after 1 year.

I wouldnt necessarily agree that Byfield has the higher upside (although of course either guy has the ability to be better than the other)... but I do think he has the potential to be the most unique star player in the draft and one of the more unique star players in the league. He has a lot of development to do before he reaches that level, though. I've been saying for a while, I would love for him to go to the Swiss or Swedish league this upcoming year. Would be a great developmental opportunity for him.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've previously said this but I think it still is important.

I do agree that Byfield has the higher upside. He has top 5 C in the NHL upside. Now whether he reaches that potential I dont know.

Id also say his floor his lower than Stutzle. 3rd line C at worst with Byfield.

Stutzle does have a huge ceiling in that he can be a 1st line C or W. But I do think its a tick below Byfield's in that regard.

However I think his floor is higher. I think he is guaranteed to be a top 6 winger minumum.

I love both guys but thats how I see them.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've previously said this but I think it still is important.

I do agree that Byfield has the higher upside. He has top 5 C in the NHL upside. Now whether he reaches that potential I dont know.

Id also say his floor his lower than Stutzle. 3rd line C at worst with Byfield.

Stutzle does have a huge ceiling in that he can be a 1st line C or W. But I do think its a tick below Byfield's in that regard.

However I think his floor is higher. I think he is guaranteed to be a top 6 winger minumum.

I love both guys but thats how I see them.

Reputed to be one of the strongest drafts in the past 15 years and the potential 2OA has a 3C floor? That's bust for me if Byfield only becomes a 3C level player

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I could see Tkachuk going to the front of the net and assuming the Ken Dryden pose while Stutzle circles the zone 3 times looking for someone to pass to.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Reputed to be one of the strongest drafts in the past 15 years and the potential 2OA has a 3C floor? That's bust for me if Byfield only becomes a 3C level player

Yup thats my take on Byfield on Byfield's floor. It means like some of us have pointed out about a lack of creativity and mostly scoring off the rush could = 3rd line C if his offense doesnt translate

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yup thats my take on Byfield on Byfield's floor. It means like some of us have pointed out about a lack of creativity and mostly scoring off the rush could = 3rd line C if his offense doesnt translate
You should watch more OHL games. He will be very good at the NHL level in zone and on the cycle. He’s soft in the dzone and doesn’t throw the body but he willingly gets in on the cycle and can get to the net pretty easily.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
You should watch more OHL games. He will be very good at the NHL level in zone and on the cycle. He’s soft in the dzone and doesn’t throw the body but he willingly gets in on the cycle and can get to the net pretty easily.

Pardon?

I never said he wouldn't be good on the cycle or anything about net drive. He is good at those.

I've already previously mentioned he is lost in the D zone but thats coaching more than his intelligence. And yes he isnt very physical.

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Who is going to convert Stutzle’s passes ? If he develops as expected he needs a 40-50+ tpye goal scorer to really extra his value.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s going to be hard for Stutzle and Brady to play together if he winds up on the left side rather than centre. I personally see him as a centre but there are more than a few scouts that project him as a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad