SSM Greyhounds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Great job to the Soo for taking out the OHL' darling team Friday night.

Kudos to Schenkel in the pipes and Virgilio for taking on Boulton

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I didn't even look at the standings, that was just my opinion. Niagara is actually last in win percentage, however.

The Eastern Conference is so absolutely dreadful this year that Niagara and Peterborough would be a lot worse over here. Their only contender (Sudbury) can barely stay ahead of a team that moved cities and sold at the deadline. A team that looked Junior B in my viewings (Oshawa) is unbelievably in a home playoff spot. We're used to seeing them being much worse than the West, but this is on a whole new level.
The Soo is ~0.500 vs SBY, NB, Brantford, Oshawa, Ottawa; give or take for OTL pts? All five of those teams improved after the Christmas break, including seller/buyer Brantford.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Guelph at 5th in the west is pretty pedestrian and possibly weaker than 7 eastern teams (6 anyway). True, the top end of the east has yet to prove they are on par with the top of the west, and the bottom 3 in the east are weaker than all but Windsor. But those top 7 eastern team are all above average imo.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
The Soo is ~0.500 vs SBY, NB, Brantford, Oshawa, Ottawa; give or take for OTL pts? All five of those teams improved after the Christmas break, including seller/buyer Brantford.
North Bay plays the hounds extremely well and has kept our skill to the outside. I can't really speak to the others due to limited exposure.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
North Bay plays the hounds extremely well and has kept our skill to the outside. I can't really speak to the others due to limited exposure.
Brantford is really, really good with a lead. With the smaller rink dimensions, I think they willl be a team that others will want to avoid in the playoffs.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brantford is really, really good with a lead. With the smaller rink dimensions, I think they willl be a team that others will want to avoid in the playoffs.
Brantford is a well coached team IMO. They really don't seem to miss a beat either rebuilding or going for a championship.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Hounds posted a photo of them practicing at the BUD yesterday. Mignosa was in yellow non contact jersey, but I couldn't see Virgilio anywhere. There is a player in a black jersey with no numbers on the back of their helmet on the ice though. While I was typing this I realize it may be better to post the photo too so here it is:

GGjuiDxXsAAMPt7.jpg

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Brantford is a well coached team IMO. They really don't seem to miss a beat either rebuilding or going for a championship.
Well coached and a knack for drafting/trading for players that fit. I don’t know how they improved with Hamara, Sobelev, & Lavoie minus Donovan, VanVliet, Wray, & Cheynowski plus Lardis missing ~6 weeks; but they did improve their W%

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Guelph at 5th in the west is pretty pedestrian and possibly weaker than 7 eastern teams (6 anyway). True, the top end of the east has yet to prove they are on par with the top of the west, and the bottom 3 in the east are weaker than all but Windsor. But those top 7 eastern team are all above average imo.
Rather than make vague arguments about who is average or not, I'll just note that the West is 35 games over .500 against the East this year. That's been the case for at least 25 consecutive seasons and this year is no exception.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Hounds managed to elevate their game against the best team in the league. Not hard to get up to play in the Bud against the Knights on a 23 game point streak. Tomorrow we find out if they can do it against the worst team in the league. That will be a real challenge.

• Wow
Reactions: DWI Dale

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The hounds have struggled all year with putting consistent games b2b. They are so far away from reeling off a 23 game point streak. This is definitely a work in progress for them.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
tons of animosity between the benches after that fight. let's hope the hounds run up the score and cram it down their throat in the last 40 minutes ;)

1708373446847.png

Last edited:

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
so let me get this straight. In May he saw his doctor and got an MRI then sat around all summer,… 4 months later the MRI came back? Then after that he waited 5 more months till 2023 to have the surgery?

Also you ever go to the hospital for a tooth ache and ask for a T3? Nope, ibuprofen 600 only.
IMG_4167.png

Last edited:

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
It’s actually wild to read that and see how he asked to be removed from the team in April due to excruciating pain and shoulder injury yet he proceeded to play the best hockey of the year in the playoffs for the Soo.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I like to think the headlines against our teams today are part of a grand conspiracy of southern teams who fear an all North OHL final.

Surely North Bay is next, I imagine a Troops player will probably be accused of being the zodiac killer or something.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
very serious allegations and i hope that they are thoroughly investigated.

i'm admittedly suspicious given that trouble seems to follow this young man, but i'll wait for the process to play out before i get too carried away.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The fact that the OHL is standing with the team, despite not even investigating, says a lot about the validity of these allegations.

This is just my opinion, but the thoughts are very incongruous and reek of being fabricated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino