SSM Greyhounds 2023 - 2024 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Nope not a Knights fan either.

My team is no longer here, but I really enjoy the league.

Hard to get a word in here with all the crying and conspiracy theories being discussed.
Team is no longer here? Is that why you're very angry? And it sure doesn't seem like you enjoy the league.. Hard to get a word in eh? That's odd. It's an online forum not a real time conversation.

Jay R

Mar 30, 2024
Parehk is the dirtiest player in the league and a coward when someone wants to do something about it. I can’t wait until he catches his, karma will get him.

Saginaw sucks too, hate them as well, hope London Sweeps and they get swept in the memorial cup. Would be amazing.

There’s a handful of really crappy fan bases, yours just takes the cake as the worst.
Hope London absolutely demolishes Saginaw and that's coming from a greyhound fan

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I guess the good news is that it's the time of year when the homers go into hiding! Trying to find a positive lol
Kudos to you Dale. I feel like you and Pops caught some flack throughout the season because you were refusing to drink the kool-aid like a select few posters on your board. Heckuva series by the Soo. Now time to see how Raftis builds around Martin and Hayes.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
Congratulations on a fine season. Hounds are a first class org. They will not be rebuilding very long. They draft and develop as well as anyone. First round underachievers happen sometimes to all teams like Brown but you make up for it all over the rest of the draft. Chin up.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I guess the good news is that it's the time of year when the homers go into hiding! Trying to find a positive lol
That’s the messed up part. There’s a few….but primarily one poster in the Greyhounds thread that draws the heat from other teams’ posters around here. Not only that but if I was a Greyhound fan I would straight up cringe at any of positive predictions made by said poster because the track record of being consistently wrong is mind-blowing. “Dean should be fired if Schenkel starts next game.” Kid was lights out since that post and their best player. “Superior Depth.” “Saginaw is worn down.” Saginaw minus their #1 goalie and missing multiple top 4 D for much of the series gets it done. I thought they had way more jump and basically dominated the 30 or so minutes of the game I took time to pause doing stuff and focus on tonight. I think the song you’ve been singing for the last 5-6 years about doing a full rebuild is correct but I also have my doubts about the type of team Raftis usually builds too. I imagine we’ll have further evidence one way or another when Martin is 19.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
That’s the messed up part. There’s a few….but primarily one poster in the Greyhounds thread that draws the heat from other teams’ posters around here. Not only that but if I was a Greyhound fan I would straight up cringe at any of positive predictions made by said poster because the track record of being consistently wrong is mind-blowing. “Dean should be fired if Schenkel starts next game.” Kid was lights out since that post and their best player. “Superior Depth.” “Saginaw is worn down.” Saginaw minus their #1 goalie and missing multiple top 4 D for much of the series gets it done. I thought they had way more jump and basically dominated the 30 or so minutes of the game I took time to pause doing stuff and focus on tonight. I think the song you’ve been singing for the last 5-6 years about doing a full rebuild is correct but I also have my doubts about the type of team Raftis usually builds too. I imagine we’ll have further evidence one way or another when Martin is 19.

There are 3 that are bad. One of them I’m friends with outside the board and I know he’s just pumping his teams tires and I can roll my eyes when he says something super egregious because I know that’s just who he is. Fish and Jay are just trolls at this point. No one takes them seriously.

I’m sure I’ve gotten into it with Pops and DWI at times but at least they are rational and hey there’s not much more than you can ask for around here. We all get a little nutty at points

BehindSooNet

Mar 15, 2015
Heart-felt sigh. At noon today I will engage in the annual "folding and storage" of all my Hounds' jerseys. Last year it happened real early in the season - so that's one thing to be thankful for. And if I think about it, there are three other fan bases in the O whose teams got swept in Round 2.

Will be renewing my season's tickets by the end of the week.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Great season , Soo fans !
It was, it really was!

I cheered through the 2018-2019 and 2021-2022 runs, and this did not feel like that. We might have gotten eliminated in the same round each time, but this year's team was definitely the better iteration of a second round team.

Our next run is already getting me excited as we are building around a player who has already showed he can do it all. Can't wait!

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
It was, it really was!

I cheered through the 2018-2019 and 2021-2022 runs, and this did not feel like that. We might have gotten eliminated in the same round each time, but this year's team was definitely the better iteration of a second round team.

Our next run is already getting me excited as we are building around a player who has already showed he can do it all. Can't wait!
Agreed. for us to have 2 sixteen year olds that played as well as they did on a very old roster, man, that is something to look forward to. the whole 07 draft looks very promising.

It's scary to think of how physically dominant Martin will be at 18 and 19. He consistantly laid out bigger older players all season. Dionicio last night. And Hayes could have put up 25 or 30 this year if we weren't so deep and he spent some significant time on the 2nd line.

If we really want to rebuild the right way though, we need to ship out Gibby and Allard next year for hopefully an 08 and a haul of picks, and possibly Charlie as well. there is no other option.

Cheers

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The import draft is going to be really important this year.

Raftis needs to make sure he picks impact players. We don't need replacement level players from this draft.

I would say a successful draft would be draft 2 impact players (I'd target 06s) and having one report. Play the long game with the other.

Knocking it out of the park would be drafting 2 impact players and having both report.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
There's so much to be excited about with Martin and Hayes. My hope is that the organization is willing to do all it takes to build an absolute juggernaut around the 2 of them, even if that means we have to endure a tough season next year. Short term pain for long term gain.

I've made no secret of the fact that I felt we could have done more in previous seasons to prepare for this year but none of that matters anymore, all that matters is what Raftis does this off-season and the next year or two. Get'r'done Kyle.

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
Parehk is the dirtiest player in the league and a coward when someone wants to do something about it. I can’t wait until he catches his, karma will get him.

Saginaw sucks too, hate them as well, hope London Sweeps and they get swept in the memorial cup. Would be amazing.

There’s a handful of really crappy fan bases, yours just takes the cake as the worst.
Tell us how you really feel LOL

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
From a Knights fan, your team had an amazing season and it is to be congratulated. Top-notch organization that is always in the mix, year in and year out.
You pushed the Spirit to the brink and you definitely made the Knights a better team. In all honesty, the G-hounds were the only team in the West I was afraid to play. They match the Knights in every facet pretty much....goaltending, grit, speed, firepower, etc. It would have been one heck of a Western Conference finals had the Soo been able to win last night.
The Spirit are a soft team so I think we can out-physical and out-hit them as long as we play smart and don't take dumb penalties (which is prone to happen).
Congratulations again and enjoy the off-season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Spirit are a soft team so I think we can out-physical and out-hit them as long as we play smart and don't take dumb penalties (which is prone to happen).
This might decide the series. The Spirit are very good at drawing penalties. If they can ever get their powerplay on track then special teams might be the difference.

On the flip side, if the Spirit can't get their powerplay on track, the Knights won't have any reason not to continue to punish the Spirit physically and take all kinds of liberties. Or if the Spirit allow themselves to get dragged into the shenanigans, the Knight's powerplay will almost definitely make them sorry.

Looking forward to it!

Reactions: All the Answers

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
they aren't soft as much as they do a lot of flopping on the ice, or as Pops more diplomatically suggests, theyre good at drawing penalties. for as tough as owen beck is supposed to be, he's on his knees and stomach a lot. ;)

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
they aren't soft as much as they do a lot of flopping on the ice, or as Pops more diplomatically suggests, theure good at drawing penalties. for as tough as owen beck is supposed to be, he's on his knees and stomach a lot. ;)
This one sums it all up. Watch Beck on this play. It's Beck that gives Fantino the single leg takedown, and then again wraps Fantino's leg and back when he's down. Gets the call. You be the judge.

Reactions: DWI Dale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad