Spring 2016 Prospect Poll: #5

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I wanted more from him this year, in limited viewing. Teasing with all of those abilities, want to see it all together.

I wanted more from him too this year. At the end of the NCAA run last year, he seemed to be a Fasching-like trajectory. Another year like that and he could've been ready to sign an ELC at the end of this year and go into Rochester next year for some seasoning.

But, it didn't materialize from everything I've seen/read. Just seems like he's stagnated.

He's probably still in my top 20, but I've got a another one or two adds before I consider him, I think

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wanted more from him too this year. At the end of the NCAA run last year, he seemed to be a Fasching-like trajectory. Another year like that and he could've been ready to sign an ELC at the end of this year and go into Rochester next year for some seasoning.

But, it didn't materialize from everything I've seen/read. Just seems like he's stagnated.

He's probably still in my top 20, but I've got a another one or two adds before I consider him, I think

Yeah, I pay attention when I'm watching games with Sabre prospects and there have been a few times this year when I've had to search to see if he's even on the ice (which is saying something because I will spend time watching the defensemen regardless of who they may or may not belong to). And then the games he missed this year which I've yet to here why -- tuning in and not even getting to see him is a bit of a downer.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Baptiste...

...and I'm sensing I might be on +Florentino island by myself. Physical d-man, playing on a good team, has made some big plays in big games, like the national championship last year? Anyway, I'm hoping he forgoes his senior year after the Friars season and we get to see him in Rochester. I think he's a way better prospect, but I hear you if you're saying he's still a couple years away.

But hey, I'm a potential guy on these polls more than I'm a "how close they are" guy. Hence why I'd rank Petersen above Linus, though Linus I think could contribute now.

I've been wanting to add him for a few rounds now, love his game

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have his ceiling as a 2nd pairing D and his expectation as a 3rd pairing D. The issue is floor I have a 3, which is average AHL player and his development a 5, because he has at least one more year in college before even getting to the AHL. Gives him a total score of 5.75. That, FWIW, has him within half a point of the 7 prospects ahead of him.

If, for example, he could just sell me of having a floor as a borderline NHLer, and I gave him a 5 in the floor category, that would catapult him all the way to a three-way tie for 9th with Cornell and Martin.

(i use a 1-5 scale with half point intervals)
Ok I have him 7th overall at:
Talent/Ceiling : 3.5 (2nd pair)
Development : 3.0 (proper rate)
Floor : 1.5 (Lower AHL/Fringe Pro)
Projection : 2.5 (Lower Non Top4)
= 5.9

Looks like our difference is in how we credit development.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
(i use a 1-5 scale with half point intervals)
Ok I have him 7th overall at:
Talent/Ceiling : 3.5 (2nd pair)
Development : 3.0 (proper rate)
Floor : 1.5 (Lower AHL/Fringe Pro)
Projection : 2.5 (Lower Non Top4)
= 5.9

Looks like our difference is in how we credit development.

So we literally have him rated the exact same on Ceiling and floor. I actually project him slightly higher (a 2.5/5 versus a 3/6). You give him credit for being 'on track,' whereas my development tracker just sees him as 'far away' (still just a one point difference). We still come out quite close, though, only .15 apart. I'd say we differ more on the players I have ahead of him (notably Florentino, Martin, Cornell, Ruh, Malone, and Cat) that I'm guessing you don't.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Q for you guys who catch a fair bit of college hockey: where do you see Malone fitting into our prospect system? He had nice numbers last year but spent a lot of time injured. I haven't paid any real attention to him this season.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Q for you guys who catch a fair bit of college hockey: where do you see Malone fitting into our prospect system? He had nice numbers last year but spent a lot of time injured. I haven't paid any real attention to him this season.

I really like his game. I see his potential as a nasty two-way checking center with scoring punch. A sort of poor mans girgensons? Only with more sandpaper

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009

I think he is one of our most underrated prospects, love the potential there but the amount of injuries he's had really makes it tough to place him too high in these rankings.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Went Borgen here, though I considered Petersen. I like Baptiste, too, but he's starting to get caught in a RW numbers crunch and he has two similarly-aged RW prospects who are probably ahead of him right now in Fasching and Bailey.

Add Schaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad