Spring 2016 Prospect Poll: #5

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect critera are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

Spring '16 Top 20
1. Hudson Fasching, RW: 82 of 101 votes, 81.19% (runner up: Justin Bailey, 13 votes)
2. Justin Bailey, RW: 44 of 72 votes, 61.11% (runner up: Brendan Guhle, 14 votes)
3. Brendan Guhle, D: 47 of 89 votes, 52.81% (runner up: Linus Ullmark, 28 votes)
4. Linus Ullmark, G: 49 of 87 votes, 56.32% (runner up: Nicholas Baptiste, 14 votes)

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED
G: Jonas Johansson, Jason Kasdorf, Nathan Lieuwen, Andrey Makarov

D: Brady Austin, Ivan Chukarov, Anthony Florentino, Devante Stephens

F: Christopher Brown, Dan Catenacci, Jerry D'Amigo, Jean Dupuy, Alex Guptill, Connor Hurley, Colin Jacobs, Justin Kea, Sean Malone, Jack Nevins, Judd Peterson, Gustav Possler, Evan Rodrigues, Tim Schaller, Maxwell Willman

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have Petersen here, just a fraction behind Ullmark. Add Olofsson. Wait, what? He's been added? No ****ing way! Okay... add Schaller.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I went with Peterson here. What's the story with Baptiste? 44 games played- looks like he missed some time, but not so much that those numbers shouldn't be better.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I went with Peterson here. What's the story with Baptiste? 44 games played- looks like he missed some time, but not so much that those numbers shouldn't be better.

Various injuries this year so he's not had the consistent reps and made the same sort of progress as Bailey. He has shown some flashes and now it's a matter of staying healthy and stringing good games together.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Man, going to be a while until Borgen wins. That draft position really kills him in this, huh? I think he is a sure fire NHLer (the only on this list), possible top 4. Unfortunately for him, he was drafted straight out of high school, and he's competing against the almighty Devante Stephens.

Add Cat. I think he has some chance of being our Cizikas.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Man, going to be a while until Borgen wins. That draft position really kills him in this, huh? I think he is a sure fire NHLer (the only on this list), possible top 4. Unfortunately for him, he was drafted straight out of high school, and he's competing against the almighty Devante Stephens.

Why do you think Borgen is a sure fire nhler? Have you seen him play a lot?

How does he handle his gap control? How strong is his handle? Does he consistently close out physically on the wall or does he dominate space with his stick and position? You must watch a lot of college hockey to have such a strong opinion on a teenager.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Why do you think Borgen is a sure fire nhler? Have you seen him play a lot?

How does he handle his gap control? How strong is his handle? Does he consistently close out physically on the wall or does he dominate space with his stick and position? You must watch a lot of college hockey to have such a strong opinion on a teenager.

His handle is sooooo strong. Like, you don't see stronger handles. All other handles are losers. His handle is a winner. You don't even know about how strong his his handle is.

Too bad we can't just behindthenet.ca it though.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

You have to consider that others may put more weight into other considerations than you.

You seem to put a ton of weight on potential. That's fine.

Most seem to be putting a lot of weight into how close a guy is, at least for the top 5 or 10 guys. The guys that have been voted in so far either have pro experience (Bailey, Ullmark) or have shown a lot of promise in close-to pro experience (Guhle -- preseason, Fasching -- 3 years of college).

You may see Borgen as having the potential and more likely to reach that potential, but I think he's clearly years away from having a shot where the rest of these guys so far will be possibly ready next year.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I thought Schaller was too old?

See below.

Signed ELC at age 22 on 3/30/2013 so he's eligible for 3 more weeks! Ruhwedel's in the same category (signed on 4/13/2013).

There's always a couple who are on the edge of eligibility. IMO, both the HF criteria and any subjective criteria should rate Schaller as a prospect at this point still. Heck, he might slip into the bottom of my top 10 depending how it shakes out. I think the one thing that consistently happens in these polls is that the Schaller-like prospects get way too underrated. He was 20th on the summer poll. I'm willing to bet at least 5 players who came in above him never have the pro career Schaller has/will.

/rant.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I like him. I actually have him projecting as a nhl dman with a ceiling as a 2nd pairing guy.

He is not a sure fire nhler. He's not even a sure fire ahler yet

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Most seem to be putting a lot of weight into how close a guy is, at least for the top 5 or 10 guys. The guys that have been voted in so far either have pro experience (Bailey, Ullmark) or have shown a lot of promise in close-to pro experience (Guhle -- preseason, Fasching -- 3 years of college).

If most people are putting more weight into how close a guy is then this poll should be for who is the closest to making the NHL, not who the best prospect is.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
If most people are putting more weight into how close a guy is then this poll should be for who is the closest to making the NHL, not who the best prospect is.
I'm just talking about the top guys whose ceilings are all pretty close. It's only one factor and it's a reasonable stance.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

:laugh:

On an unrelated note, I can't believe how many people are voting for Schaller when a guy like Dupuy is still on the board. As a 25 year old he's shown very limited ability to stick at the NHL level, and if he does he's at best a 4th line centre/13 forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad