Rumor: Sportsnet's John Shannon is saying Kadri deal to the Isles is getting finalized and should be done by this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
Yzerman just needs to sign him for 7 mill at 2 years or something or i would love Barzel on Wings which has been brought up i dont get that from the Isles POV though wouldn’t you guys rather keep Barzel and not have Kadri?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So Lou finally found a winger to play with Barzal. It just turns out it was himself.
Barzal playing with himself?

"Reg, Reg, that reminds me. I was coachin' in Omaha in 1948 and Eddie Shore sends me this guy who was a terrible masturbator, you know, couldn't control himself. Why, he would get deliberate penalties so he could get over in the penalty box all by himself and damned if he wouldn't... you know..."

If you know, you know

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
I am too lazy to look for it but co-owner Jon Ledecky was asked about the team's offseason so far and he responded with "in Lou we trust".

Though there's probably some STH's that are biding their time waiting for the announcement of who will be on the team but corporate boxes are all full....

So if there was a picture of a couple blind men hugging Lou in BT's avatar that would make more sense.
1660740800145.png

Here you have the picture when the rest of the islanders management pressure Lou to get the deal done even they got tired.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If the Isles want to keep everyone they should just not sign Kadri

I realize it's a bit of a pipe dream. Someone said they could see Lou pulling a surprising move and moving Barzal or Dobson. So I threw something out there.
There are definitely cirucmstances where I believe Barzal would be traded, and those come if his performance do not match his demands as NYI see both creating a risk situation that is very similar to what WPG is dealing with Dubois. Barzal's performance wasn't great last year, so he does not have an incentive to negotatiate off of that. Nothing is going to move on that front until a good chunk of the season is played.

TCG does ... erm... not have the reputation of being a good faith poster, which explains the reactions.

One thing I find amusing about all of this is on one hand posters are assuming that NYI have no leverage wrt dumping contracts - which is fair - but also assume that on the other hand they're going to give Kadri what he wants. The longer Kadri goes unsigned, and the more salary room is gone, the less leverage Kadri has. Exactly the same factors go into the evaluations of both.

My speculation (which is shared by other smart NYI fans) about what's going on is that Kadri is weighing not getting quite what he wants in terms of a contract with the Isles vs. getting A LOT less than what he wants + competing for another cup with the Avs. So I just don't buy the LL is rolling over assumption, or I think it'd have happened already.

Reactions: Reinhart

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
There are definitely cirucmstances where I believe Barzal would be traded, and those come if his performance do not match his demands as NYI see both creating a risk situation that is very similar to what WPG is dealing with Dubois. Barzal's performance wasn't great last year, so he does not have an incentive to negotatiate off of that. Nothing is going to move on that front until a good chunk of the season is played.

TCG does ... erm... not have the reputation of being a good faith poster, which explains the reactions.

One thing I find amusing about all of this is on one hand posters are assuming that NYI have no leverage wrt dumping contracts - which is fair - but also assume that on the other hand they're going to give Kadri what he wants. The longer Kadri goes unsigned, and the more salary room is gone, the less leverage Kadri has. Exactly the same factors go into the evaluations of both.

My speculation (which is shared by other smart NYI fans) about what's going on is that Kadri is weighing not getting quite what he wants in terms of a contract with the Isles vs. getting A LOT less than what he wants + competing for another cup with the Avs. So I just don't buy the LL is rolling over assumption, or I think it'd have happened already.
Sounds good, thanks for the insight.

Agreed, I think the Isles are going to get Kadri on a pretty decent term deal. This league wide cap crunch is kind of unprecedented. At least since year one or two of the cap's existence.

I'm just a Jets fan jumping on a pipe dream of bringing in a number one center so we can ditch Puke Luc lol

Reactions: saintunspecified

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
What makes those bridge contracts?

Macavoy got 4.9 for three years. That’s a comparable to use. We’re all in the dark for this but using Makar and Chabot as comparables on mid to long term deals isn’t gonna fly

Bridge deal is 2 years traditionally, a bridge between the ELC and a long term deal
No Dice.

In the year MacAvoy signed his 4.9M bridge deal, he had 28 points; barely more than half of what Dobson just had.

Salaries have also gone up since 2019.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
No Dice.

In the year MacAvoy signed his 4.9M bridge deal, he had 28 points; barely more than half of what Dobson just had.

Salaries have also gone up since 2019.

In 54 games, so he paced for 42 and I love Dobber but Macavoy is better defensively.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Barzal needs a guy that can keep up with the pace and move the puck. Kadri could be a nice fit. Sprinkle in palmeiri and it has the semblance of a decent line. With the isles d and goaltending along with their experience winning a slew of playoff rounds last 3 years they have to be considered at least a contender.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Jun 27, 2005
It's Kadri's turn with the cup soon. It might be weird to celebrate winning the cup with one team after signing with another.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
In 54 games, so he paced for 42 and I love Dobber but Macavoy is better defensively.
MacAvoy may be better defensively now but Dobson is 3 years younger and was still in juniors in 2019 when MacAvoy had his 28 point season (followed by 30 and 32 point seasons BTW) and he received 4.9M on a "Bridge" contract. For arbitration cases and contract negotiations, comparables points are "King". Last year Dobson's point total was higher than either Chabot (8M) or Makar (9M) in their equivalent contract years. The fact that the both signed long term instead of a "Bridge" means they were Maxing out their earnings over 8 years (usually indicated by what percentage their salaries are as a fraction of the total team cap) and a "Bridge" wouldn't do this.

I am sure Dobson's agent is aware of this.

It comes down to Lou's power of persuasion whether Dobson's agent ignores all the comparables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
MacAvoy may be better defensively now but Dobson is 3 years younger and was still in juniors in 2019 when MacAvoy had his 28 point season (followed by 30 and 32 point seasons BTW) and he received 4.9M on a "Bridge" contract. For arbitration cases and contract negotiations, comparables points are "King". Last year Dobson's point total was higher than either Chabot (8M) or Makar (9M) in their equivalent contract years. The fact that the both signed long term instead of a "Bridge" means they were Maxing out their earnings over 8 years (usually indicated by what percentage their salaries are as a fraction of the total team cap) and a "Bridge" wouldn't do this.

It comes down to Lou's power of persuasion whether Dobson's agent ignores all the comparables.
Not sure what u are talking about . Makar had 44 points in 44 games.and 50 in 57 games as a rookie.

Reactions: milehigh11

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

The word from the beat writer, and others, is that Dobson's deal is in the bag as is Romanov's. So whatever the length/AAV of the contract, it's done. As a hockey fan, even though I am an Islanders fan, I can't stand these shenanigans - unfiled contracts in Lou's drawer. I think the NHL ought to crack down on it, and if more GMs tried to pull this crap, they probably would. But they've obviously let him get away with it in the past.

Not knowing the amounts, nobody knows the exact implications about how much money needs to be moved in order to fit in Kadri, nor what the Kadri contract might be. But NYI are 100% not trading Dobson, they're not trading Barzal now, and they probably aren't trading Varlamov. It's the rest that's unsettled. And that's the way LL wants it. Personally, as a hockey fan, I don't think that's right, but it is how he is running things.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It is hard to imagine that the other GMs aren't aware of Lou's predicament.

If all these contracts are actually signed, including Kadri, contemplate if all 31 other GMs in the NHL call Lou's bluff and never help him balance his Cap, ever.

What would the Agents or the League do if Sweet Lou cannot file the contracts he apparently signed?

In the very worst case scenario and he were forced to file these contracts, he would probably have to waive NHL level players and if none of the ones he were to waive is claimed he would have to waive at least one NHL player for every 1M dollars over the cap in order to create enough cap space. He would then have to back fill with sub-1M dollar players to create a 22 man roster.

The League should have stepped in last year when he did the same thing. This year it could get very messy.

Quite a needless gambit.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It is hard to imagine that the other GMs aren't aware of Lou's predicament.

If all these contracts are actually signed, including Kadri, contemplate if all 31 other GMs in the NHL call Lou's bluff and never help him balance his Cap, ever.

What would the Agents or the League do if Sweet Lou cannot file the contracts he apparently signed?

In the very worst case scenario and he were forced to file these contracts, he would probably have to waive NHL level players and if none of the ones he were to waive is claimed he would have to waive at least one NHL player for every 1M dollars over the cap in order to create enough cap space. He would then have to back fill with sub-1M dollar players to create a 22 man roster.

The League should have stepped in last year when he did the same thing. This year it could get very messy.

Quite a needless gambit.
I think he has multiple contracts fir each player. Fir 1 yr and fir multiple years. They might not be technically signed yet so there is no violation of the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad