Sportsnet's Eric Francis RIPS Johnny Gaudreau and Flames

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Gaudreau hasn't been great, but I think the real problem on that line is Monahan. The Flames lack of speed when it comes to their best players is an issue, Johnny might be the only one that doesn't apply to, but when he stops up just inside the blue line to wait for his line-mates, his speed is kind of nullified.

This has been the issue since the All-Star Break and now his discouragement is starting to show. He's been alone on that line for more than a third of the year now.

Reactions: kevrondl

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This is why when people were getting wet for Calgary I kept saying they aren't a threat. Gaudreau chokes every playoffs, his game isn't suited for playoff hockey. He's been the worst player on the ice every game. And Monahan isn't a 1C you can win a cup with. Smith has actually been playing great, if he was his usual self this series would have already been over.

Francis is talking out of his butt.

How many Playoffs has Calgary been in with this group?

Johnny was the best Flame in 2015. It was Monahan and Hudler that completely disappeared in the 2nd round against the Ducks. Johnny wasn't as good in that round simply because he had no linemates. The talk everywhere was that Mony and Huds were injured. . . And then it turned out they weren't.

Monahan scored like 6 or 7 goals in like the last 30 games to end the season. Dude disappears every season for 20 to 30 games. Pulls a Laine every year.

Johnny hasn't been great either but he always looks like he's trying (other than one play near the end of last game at our blue line where he swiped at and missed the puck).

Francis just went emotional school girl on another city's sport radio channel. He went full wear the city jersey during a concert mode.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The Flames and Tampa will be back sooner and better next year. Championship teams generally take a while to build. Granted, this playoff had been a real setback. No doubt. But I wouldn't write them off just yet.

I'm one hundred percent on the same page.

I think Monahan and Brodie are on shakier ground than Gaudreau, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if this group is given another year or two before any blowup. And, I wouldn't be surprised if they seasoned some more.

I know it was during the regular season, but our first line was arguably the best line in hockey for about 2 months right before the All-Star Break. Then (IMO) having roughly 2 games in 3 weeks put Monahan into full off-season Fortnite mode and the rest of the season was a comparable write-off though some-how we managed to get points.

Reactions: egelband

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I don't think Gaudreau deserves this much criticism. He's one of the few Flames who are at least trying. Where have Monahan/Tkachuk/Neal/Jankowski and Backlund been these last 4 games?

It would be a HUGE mistake to trade Gaudreau, he's not even been the worst player on his own line this series.

Agreed.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This Francis is so unprofessional. Stop being such a homer and maybe you won't catch feelings. Seen him on after hours being buddy buddy with Flames players. Then you wanna RIP their best player because he hasn't "produced points". It's a team game. It's not the Calgary Gaudreaus. It's the Calgary Flames. Last I checked they are not golfing yet. Have some faith for crying out loud. It ain't over until it's over, silly Eric.

Bang on post.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I can't count how many three game winning streaks we had this year. And I don't think we won a single game on a shoot-out and we ended up 2nd in the NHL.

Also, the last game went to OT after it was tied up by Colorado in the third.

We still have a legit chance, one game at a time, to take this series. It's game one for us tonight.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Eric Francis just makes me want to smack him in the head even when he's saying something I agree with. Just such a smarmy d-bag

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Well, he's not the only top winger struggling this post-season. As a line driver he has to fight through it. Whole line has been disappointing though which exposes their lack of center depth. Monahan is clearly more of a 1b.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Francis is talking out of his butt.

How many Playoffs has Calgary been in with this group?

Johnny was the best Flame in 2015. It was Monahan and Hudler that completely disappeared in the 2nd round against the Ducks. Johnny wasn't as good in that round simply because he had no linemates. The talk everywhere was that Mony and Huds were injured. . . And then it turned out they weren't.

Monahan scored like 6 or 7 goals in like the last 30 games to end the season. Dude disappears every season for 20 to 30 games. Pulls a Laine every year.

Johnny hasn't been great either but he always looks like he's trying (other than one play near the end of last game at our blue line where he swiped at and missed the puck).

Francis just went emotional school girl on another city's sport radio channel. He went full wear the city jersey during a concert mode.
Yeah he didn't just nail this one down at all. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad