Sportsnet's Eric Francis RIPS Johnny Gaudreau and Flames

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'd think not. Calgary would be insane to trade Gaudreau, he's coming of a 99 point season if he can't get it done in the playoffs you get him more help. Unless Calgary was going into a rebuild, and they certainly aren't, then this is insanity. If Gaudreau can't produce like a franchise player in the playoffs its disappointing but he's making less than 7 million for the next 3 years so that's hardly crippling, even for the potential to replicate what he does in the regular season you hold onto that. Either way he's still got time to turn it around and might not even need Calgary to improve the supporting cast externally, they're still a young team.

Value wise its not close.
I think he was being sarcastic and mocking how absurd the idea of getting rid of Gaudreau is.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
MacKinnon dominating isn't surprising. He's built like a tank, like Ovy. Sid is a really solidly put together guy for a 5'11 player. McKinnon ooks huge compared to Sid in those Tim Horton's commercials in just their polos. Big and skilled will always beat small and skilled.

Smaller/lighter players can perform well in the playoffs. Best of those in that category this playoffs have been Marner, Panarin, Atkinson, and Eberle in terms. Disappointing guys have been Point, Gaudreau, Ehlers.

P. Kane is a playoff performer.

Playoff hockey is different. Especially in round 1. Intensity is jacked up and so is the physicality. Plus, the coaches can zero in on the top players. Can the player adjust. If you are a 1 trick pony, you're likely to get shut down unless you raise your game to another level to combat how you are being defenced.

Went and saw those Tim Horton commercials, f*** I want MacKinnon.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Francis is the worst kind of person. Last time he "ripped" a player, he needed 4 offseasons surgeries. He just loves attention and to be able to say I tolda so. Hopefully just bulletin board material.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I'd think not. Calgary would be insane to trade Gaudreau, he's coming of a 99 point season if he can't get it done in the playoffs you get him more help. Unless Calgary was going into a rebuild, and they certainly aren't, then this is insanity. If Gaudreau can't produce like a franchise player in the playoffs its disappointing but he's making less than 7 million for the next 3 years so that's hardly crippling, even for the potential to replicate what he does in the regular season you hold onto that. Either way he's still got time to turn it around and might not even need Calgary to improve the supporting cast externally, they're still a young team.

Value wise its not close.

Gaudreau is most valuable assets that the Flames have, no doubt about that. But I think the Flames should look into trading him, especially for a legit #1 center. Trade Gaudreau, put Matthew Tkachuk with new the center and put Monahan on the second line.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gaudreau is most valuable assets that the Flames have, no doubt about that. But I think the Flames should look into trading him, especially for a legit #1 center. Trade Gaudreau, put Matthew Tkachuk with new the center and put Monahan on the second line.

Which #1 Centre would be traded for Gaudreau ??

Teams arent exactly in a hurry to trade #1 C for #1 Winger

Reactions: Eisen

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Which #1 Centre would be traded for Gaudreau ??

Teams arent exactly in a hurry to trade #1 C for #1 Winger

In a package, I think he would fetch a #1 center, mind you, it will be not be a top 15 center but they can get a center fro him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
he's right, but is going way over the top. The Flames have been terrible and disappointing, especially Gaudreau. Calgary needs him to be a top player when it counts, but he's not showing he can do that

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
My assessment of the flames.
I picked them to come out of the west. They are not playing the way they played during the regular season. They are trying to intimidate and bully the avs and it is clearly not working. If they actually play hockey, they are the better team and will win this series.
They don’t need to start scrums at every whistle. It just seems to motivate Colorado and has completely silenced Calgary’s skill players.

Reactions: amethyst

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
In a package, I think he would fetch a #1 center, mind you, it will be not be a top 15 center but they can get a center fro him.

Trying to think if a name tho ?

Who has multiple 1Cs that they can move to justify getting a winger ?

2Cs maybe ya. Guys like RNH Horvat Etc...but u dont see 1C being moved for him

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
"Flames are done. He cancelled his hotel booking back to Colorado and will cancel his flight soon too."

Hard to take him seriously as soon as I read that

Looking forward to the Francis rant about the airline not allowing him to keep his reward points from the flight he cancels.

Francis has always been a hack.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gaudreau has back-checked hard this series, though. He isn't getting any support when he has the puck, so if course he looks bad.

What a bizarre set of comments. It wouldn't surprise me if Francis doesn't actually watch the games while trying to think of hot takes.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I agree with some of that but not Gaudreau. Mackinnon may be outplaying him but JH is making excellent plays. He's skating right with the Av's and not shying away from contact. He's the last player I'm looking at judging the Flames. They need to get younger and keep improving the team.
Sure...

In opposite world

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I just find it ridiculous there's so much criticism for Gaudreau when Monahan has been 5 times as bad and has the same salary.

If you want to say all the Flames top players disappeared it is true, Johnny is not alone. I know he whines to the refs so people don't like him but let's not pretend any of the other Calgary stars have made an appearance yet. It's been a team effort much like the Lightning.

Reactions: Kreator

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Trying to think if a name tho ?

Who has multiple 1Cs that they can move to justify getting a winger ?

2Cs maybe ya. Guys like RNH Horvat Etc...but u dont see 1C being moved for him

I can't think of any names but hopefully there are trades made to the core.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It's a good thing the Flames followed the Oilers model and opened up the bank vault and locked down their core for the foreseeable future.

Except they haven’t. Gaudreau and Monahan - even of you don’t think they’re super-elite players - are on bargain, medium-term deal. The only really bad contract on the team is Neal.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I agree with some of that but not Gaudreau. Mackinnon may be outplaying him but JH is making excellent plays. He's skating right with the Av's and not shying away from contact. He's the last player I'm looking at judging the Flames. They need to get younger and keep improving the team.

You do realize the Flames are one of the youngest teams in the league right?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It might happen, but this really sounds like a “edgy” writer that likes to put down the local team to get clicks. There the private Hudson’s of hockey writers. Oh man, we’re all going to die. There the kind of guys you wouldn’t want to be in a foxhole with. We had them in Chicago during the cup years, every time the hawks were down in a series. They’re down 3-1 but we’re 2:50 from being tied 2-2. They’ll probably lose, but if the team has his attitude they’ll definitely lose

That’s always been Francis’ schtick. In this case he’s not far off, but I still think Monahan is more of an issue than Gaudreau. He’s just not a 1C.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1