Sportsnet:NHL will come off $42.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
If they're so close, why can't Bettman move the deadline back a couple hours or a couple days. He waited this long to do it. If he would have set a drop dead date in January, this would have happened much sooner.

You're so out of the loop it's not funny. Why didn't Betmman set a drop dead date in october?? Because he wanted to give negotiations as much time as possible.

Answer me this: why did it take PA 8 months before they decided they can live with a cap, only 3 days before deadline? 8 MONTHS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

That is the single biggest screw-up in this whole CBA campaign.

mooseOAK*

go kim johnsson said:
No it's not. Not when both sides agree there will be a salary cap. If you're $6.5M apart, the NLRB will laugh them out of the country.
Why?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
You're so out of the loop it's not funny. Why didn't Betmman set a drop dead date in october?? Because he wanted to give negotiations as much time as possible.

2 years wasn't enough??? He should have set it in January. Like he did 10 years ago.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
2 years wasn't enough???

It wasn't for NHLPA, they took off from the table as soon as NHL mentioned the salary cap.

Now answer the question before people start thinking you're dodging the question.

Crows*

Ijust called my second cousin (undisclosed NHL player) He will remain annonomys and he wouldn't tell me exactly what he knew but he was hinting at a player vote that was about to happen or has happend... he didn't say anything else about it.

But it seemed like he was trying to tell me there has/will be a vote.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Crows said:
Ijust called my second cousin (undisclosed NHL player) He will remain annonomys and he wouldn't tell me exactly what he knew but he was hinting at a player vote that was about to happen or has happend... he didn't say anything else about it.

Nobody's going to believe that, or give it any credit :D

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
Now answer the question before people start thinking you're dodging the question.

Impasse is only acheived when there is a stalemate in neogeotiations for a long period of time. Usually 1 year. 7 months before impasse the NHLPA said they would accept a salary cap and they're only separated by just $6.5 million dollars. I call that neogotiating, and since you claim that linkage was a legitimate issue in this, the owners took that off. So you lose linkage and luxury tax, so we're down to 2 sides complaining over how much a salary cap will be. The NLRB has better things to do with their time than to listen to 2 sides whine about how much a salary cap would be since they're so close anyways.. For lack of a better term, both sides have bargained in good faith. We're both not sitting here right before the season gets canceled with one side saying $31M salary cap and the other saying $60M luxury tax.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
just from hearing Greg Jaminson I pretty much feel that the NHL decided scraping the season for 'what ever' system in place is the real goal. NHL 05 be damned. I think this goes along with NHL relaunch we hear about. The NHL will go away for quite a while, I think Bettman has pretty much figured out a way to make Goodenow pay with his job. Blowing up the NHL player structure of salaries in the Number one priority, then work on the on ice procuct then woo fans ( IE Marketing ) to grow the sport. Jaminson decribed that as A to B To C, and you had to start at 'A' to get to 'C'.

I wonder if Bettman though realizes that the players will be so pissed many will never come back, they get to play in Europe close to their familys perhaps while league revenues dwindle to nil.

Feb 16 the day NHL died.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
rekrul said:
just from hearing Greg Jaminson I pretty much feel that the NHL decided scraping the season for 'what ever' system in place is the real goal. NHL 05 be damned. I think this goes along with NHL relaunch we hear about. The NHL will go away for quite a while, I think Bettman has pretty much figured out a way to make Goodenow pay with his job. Blowing up the NHL player structure of salaries in the Number one priority, then work on the on ice procuct then woo fans ( IE Marketing ) to grow the sport. Jaminson decribed that as A to B To C, and you had to start at 'A' to get to 'C'.

I wonder if Bettman though realizes that the players will be so pissed many will never come back, they get to play in Europe close to their familys perhaps while league revenues dwindle to nil.

Feb 16 the day NHL died.

There will be no growth of the sport. I fail to see how anyone sees that if the season is canceled.

Crows*

Juni said:
Nobody's going to believe that, or give it any credit :D

I don't expect anyone to.

I don't even know whether to believe it or not.

Just at tidbit.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Impasse is only acheived when there is a stalemate in neogeotiations for a long period of time. Usually 1 year. 7 months before impasse the NHLPA said they would accept a salary cap and they're only separated by just $6.5 million dollars. I call that neogotiating, and since you claim that linkage was a legitimate issue in this, the owners took that off. So you lose linkage and luxury tax, so we're down to 2 sides complaining over how much a salary cap will be. The NLRB has better things to do with their time than to listen to 2 sides whine about how much a salary cap would be since they're so close anyways.. For lack of a better term, both sides have bargained in good faith. We're both not sitting here right before the season gets canceled with one side saying $31M salary cap and the other saying $60M luxury tax.

You're answering the wrong question, scroll back!

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Part of that story on Sportsnet.ca says that they have "prepared the room" for Gary's big announcement. Kinda smacks of coverage of a pending execution. I wonder what Gary and Bob's respective last meals will be?

RinkOnEStreet

Jun 25, 2004
Crows said:

:lol: :lol :lol :lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JWI19 said:
Well GKJ, these are the same people who thought mass expansion would bring in a huge TV contract.

True.

I would like to remind everyone Bob Goodenow did not expand to the cities that everyone says shouldn't have NHL teams, thus they are the teams this lockout is over. Teams no one cares about. That's why Gary Bettman is more to blame than the players are. He just wants the players to fix their mistakes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pepper said:
You're answering the wrong question, scroll back!

Well someone else asked that question anyways. if you're talking about which is a bigger concession it is a luxury tax because the owners were living in a fantasy world if they thought linkage with a $31M cap was even worth dicussing. At least a luxury tax is something that is seen in sports.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Pepper said:

Answer me this: why did it take PA 8 months before they decided they can live with a cap, only 3 days before deadline? 8 MONTHS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

That is the single biggest screw-up in this whole CBA campaign.
And why did it take Bettman the same amount of time to drop linkage when for two year all I heard out of his mouth was "cost certainty" and linkage and how it was the only way for the NHL to survive? It works both ways in my opinion and both sides need to accept the blame if there is no deal.

Insanity

Feb 11, 2005
shnagle said:
And why did it take Bettman the same amount of time to drop linkage when for two year all I heard out of his mouth was "cost certainty" and linkage and how it was the only way for the NHL to survive? It works both ways in my opinion and both sides need to accept the blame if there is no deal.

Because the Union kept saying "no cap".. I don't believe they gave any indication they would accept a cap without linkage at all...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
according to at least one article i read, the NHL actually offered to do away with linkage before the NHLPA moved off their hard cap stance.

meaning, the NHLPA moved off the hard cap stance because the league moved off their linkage stance

Insanity

Feb 11, 2005
Both sides are at fault.. Saying one side should/could have done something sooner is obvious..

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Insanity said:
Because the Union kept saying "no cap".. I don't believe they gave any indication they would accept a cap without linkage at all...
Again, if I accept your premise when did the league ever give any indication that they would do a new cba without linkage to revenues. My only point is that it works both ways. All I know is that once linkage was dropped the players were willing to accept a cap. That is what I call negotiation and it's unfortunate it took 8 months for either side to finally bring something new to the table. Once again, if there is no deal than both sides should share the blame because to most of us there is obviously a deal to be made here.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Is it at all possible that no news will be released even if a deal in principle is made because Bettman is waiting for the PC to annouce it?

Like what if they agreed to 45 million 5 minutes ago and instead of leaking it to the media they just decided to keep it quiet and announce it at the PC.

I mean I would think it's too late to cancel the PC, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad