Sportsnet: Meetings Wrap Up; now you fill in the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Sources tell Sportsnet that there is a potentially-workable concept out there, but there's still a long way to go before agreeing on a deal.
I call that progress.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
X8oD said:
it doesnt say there was no progress at all.

Infact, this article was a bit wierd. It contained NO quotes, no comments at all.

as 19nazzy said, the article seems to put forth the idea that the potential is there, but not in the immediate future.
I'm well aware of that; but to stay away from the cliché thread topics.

Nonetheless, this all gets arbitrary, and it's nice to break up the monotomy :p:

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
no official releases yet and that articles been up for like an hour... i think thats better then anything.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
X8oD said:
it doesnt say there was no progress at all.

Infact, this article was a bit wierd. It contained NO quotes, no comments at all.

as 19nazzy said, the article seems to put forth the idea that the potential is there, but not in the immediate future.
Exactly, which is something we haven't heard before.
Its quite the opposite from the infamous "Philosophical Differences"

:clap:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Breaking news : There may be a shred of something could look like a possible ground for meeting again to talk about what's separating us, but not in the immediate future.

This is POSITIVE :teach:

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
E = CH² said:
Breaking news : There may be a shred of something could look like a possible ground for meeting again to talk about what's separating us, but not in the immediate future.
How far into the future then, if they have a date of April 8th I believe it was to take the offer without linkage

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
19nazzy said:
How far into the future then, if they have a date of April 8th I believe it was to take the offer without linkage

league could be willing to extend if they think theres some promise there..?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
FreshBrew said:
league could be willing to extend if they think theres some promise there..?
Actually, wasn't that stated somewhere recently? I don't remember the exact article, but there was something to the effect of needing to have constructive progress happening by April 8th in order to keep the de-linked option available. Anyone else remember that?

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
TSN's article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=120473

It isn't as optimistic, and states with quotes from Daly that both NHL offers were rejected by the NHLPA to start the meeting, and that general concepts were discussed. Sounds a little like the news from the NY meetings that were supposed to save the season...

Who knows what was discussed. Maybe they're working together on a new proposal rather than submitting their own counter-offers? Well... best not to get carried away with anything.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
The TSN story isn't any more or less optomistic, other than not having the unnamed sources saying there's a "workable concept" somewhere out there (which, albeit, is a big piece of the puzzle).

This is the statement, per TSN:
''The Players' Association began today's meeting by rejecting the two proposals made by the NHL on March 17. Thereafter, we discussed the status of our current situation and, in general terms, possible concepts for moving the process forward. The meeting concluded with both sides agreeing to explore these concepts further internally, and to talk again later this week.''

It doesn't include the magic phrase, which is the first time in a long time. And I like the fact that they're meeting later this week.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
saskhab said:
TSN's article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=120473

It isn't as optimistic, and states with quotes from Daly that both NHL offers were rejected by the NHLPA to start the meeting, and that general concepts were discussed. Sounds a little like the news from the NY meetings that were supposed to save the season...

Who knows what was discussed. Maybe they're working together on a new proposal rather than submitting their own counter-offers? Well... best not to get carried away with anything.

Thats basically what's going to have to be done to reach a negotiated deal anyways. Its highly unlikely that either side will accept an offer from the other side outright. I think its best for them to sit down and start fresh and trade concessions each way, thus hopefully getting a deal each side can live with, but it will still have to be a reasonable deal with no loopholes, and the NHL will probably have to trade for that, in the form of other aspects besides a cap number.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
I think you all enjoy being pessimistic...according to the reports, this was the most peaceful and worthy bargaining session since the CBA expired...unless there just keeping people happy for some good PR.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
nyrmessier011 said:
I think you all enjoy being pessimistic...according to the reports, this was the most peaceful and worthy bargaining session since the CBA expired...unless there just keeping people happy for some good PR.
Not all :)

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
19nazzy said:

I was kidding, I made that sentence up.

Shawnski

Jan 8, 2004
One source told Sportsnet a potentially-workable concept is out there, but cautions a deal is still a long way from being done.

"Kyoto credits".... as someone nicknamed my proposal to have a moving salary cap/floor based on trading for cap space may be it.

Am I naive enough to believe that IT was the concept? Not at all. But IF the sportswriters that I have forwarded it to (and a President of an NHL team) managed to get it into play, perhaps it might be flying.

I do believe the "volantary" revenue sharing aspect of it was the key.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Actually, wasn't that stated somewhere recently? I don't remember the exact article, but there was something to the effect of needing to have constructive progress happening by April 8th in order to keep the de-linked option available. Anyone else remember that?

Actually, to sort of answer my own question, there is a line in this same Sportsnet story that alludes to this:

The league presented the union with an April 8 deadline to negotiate on the "de-linked" proposal, or else it will be pulled off the table and only the second proposal will remain.

So if this is true, the league is willing to keep the de-linked option on the table as long as the union is at least negotiating off of it by April 8th. Does the fact that they're still seeing reason to meet further this week then imply that the union has at least moved in that direction?

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
From NHL.com CBA Website...

"The Players' Association began today's meeting by rejecting the two proposals made by the NHL on March 17. Thereafter, we discussed the status of our current situation and, in general terms, possible concepts for moving the process forward. The meeting concluded with both sides agreeing to explore these concepts further internally, and to talk again later this week."

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/news/meeting040405.html

Was kind of obvious... But still good to know.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Anyone else think this is what should have been going on in.. oh... I don't know..... JULY OF LAST YEAR!!!!!

:madfire:

Oh well.. Its better than we have gotten in the past... but not near what I was hoping to get out of this meeting..

:dunno:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sportsnet new title: "NHL, union make progress" Never thought I would see all those words in the same line....without the word NO somewhere in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce