Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Last two games:

Willy: took 7 hits, gave 4 hits, blocked 5 shots, was +1, and led the team in shots (10) and goals (3).
Mitch: took 5 hits, gave none, blocked none, was -1 (the biggest -1) and had 2 shots.

If Willy isn't worth $11.5, what is Mitch worth?
to the leafs, nothing

We shouldn’t sign him even if he wants 6m.

To the rest of the league, he should get max 10, but some sucker is going to pay him 12 and regret it

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Well we gave these 3 the keys to the mansion and were expecting them to achieve great things. While they have done quite well in the regular season they sure have come up very short in the playoffs with the exception of Nylander to a degree when he's come up big at least a few times.

In Edmonton it was often the team surrounding McDavid and Drai that were letting the Oilers down. In Toronto it was often our best players letting the Leafs down.
Actually the three we gave "the keys to the mansion" were Tavares, Matthews, and Marner. Remember Willy still got only $6.9 this year.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If you look at his stats in the playoffs most of his points come from secondary assists.
What gets me the most is how he handled the RFA contract situation and his idiot father getting involved. He gets everything handed on a silver platter and then some. Overpaid rfa contract, NMC, Alternate captain for literally doing nothing to deserve it. He's a piece of shit crybaby. Immature.
I hate his guts and hope he's gone next year. Imagine if we didn't have his or the JT contract we could sign Hyman and Bert long term

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
3 points in this series, how f***ing embarrassing

I'm so over this guy, he will never figure it out in Toronto
Matthews and Nylander missed half the series and had more impact wtf was mitch doing?

$11m for playoff Alex Kerfoot. And he has the balls to ask for more. Good one Mitch.
lmao Kerfoot at least scored a big playoff goal in the only series this team won. wtf did mitch do

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Overall, he's been a great player for us. His defensive game has really developed over the years. But his offensive game has been pretty much the same since he entered the league. Unfortunately, it just hasn't worked for him in the playoffs.

I think it's best for both the Leafs and Marner to go their separate ways. Provided, we can get adequate value for him.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Good times. The Montreal board sucked so a bunch of us had to go there before we discovered this place.
received_1450791662331733.jpeg
received_1342951719898088.jpeg
received_805954120870353.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Petrus

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I really think he will be ask to waive his NMC and trade to another team.
He will put up over 100pts and we Will constantly hear all the stuff until playoffs.
Both him and JT are huge disappointments.
While AM is not far behind.
Willie led the Leafs in Goals while only playing 4 games.
Willie scored as many goals as JT, MM and AM combined.
That just can’t happen.
Esp since Reilly, AM, MM and JT all play on PP1.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm conflicted

I think the kid is good and we're going to regret running him out of town, but I'm not stupid
This fan base is going to be carrying pitchforks and demand his head

Things will become toxic if he remains

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I'm conflicted

I think the kid is good and we're going to regret running him out of town, but I'm not stupid
This fan base is going to be carrying pitchforks and demand his head

Things will become toxic if he remains

He's not a kid anymore...he's a man in his prime, and he sucks in the playoffs...look what Toews and Kane did in the playoffs as "kids".

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I really think he will be ask to waive his NMC and trade to another team.
He will put up over 100pts and we Will constantly hear all the stuff until playoffs.
Both him and JT are huge disappointments.
While AM is not far behind.
Willie led the Leafs in Goals while only playing 4 games.
Willie scored as many goals as JT, MM and AM combined.
That just can’t happen.
Esp since Reilly, AM, MM and JT all play on PP1.
Matty won us game 2 and then got sick .. Willy started in game 4 and won us game 6 .. Knies Domi and Bert played hard and tough .. our 4th line was fine .. bottom line Mitch and JT need to be moved and/or LTIR so we can create a playoff roster construction .. too much CAP space in those 2 guys which we need for pressing pieces

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Matty won us game 2 and then got sick .. Willy started in game 4 and won us game 6 .. Knies Domi and Bert played hard and tough .. our 4th line was fine .. bottom line Mitch and JT need to be moved and/or LTIR so we can create a playoff roster construction .. too much CAP space in those 2 guys which we need for pressing pieces
Agree.
I mentioned this on another thread.
Bert and Domi are the ultimate glue guys for players like AM, MM and Willie as they always seem to play well when they are on a line with Bert and Domi.
That’s why I think it is importsnt to get Domi and Bert back and actually sign more players like them.
Absolutely no point waiting for JT’s contract to expire.
MM is really the odd man out and I truly think Utah will actually willing to pay MM 13mil or more a year to get him sign with them as they want to make noise right away to attract fans and buzz.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
"Just visiting Mark Bell"
Yeah, that was awesome.

I don't think those are my Chance cards though. I seem to remember a jibe on Despotic making an argument that doesn't make any sense.

I never could find the originals or the board. I'll have to take a snap of these and save it to my hard drive.

It's way past bedtime now. Hope you're doing well!

Reactions: seventieslord

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Can't believe anyone would be defending this guy and his play in the playoffs. It's honestly pathetic what he brings for 11m. Never attacks the middle of the ice, never drives the net. Just sticks to the perimeter with a bunch of weak shots. I'd literally give him away for free at this point just to use the cap space on other stuff. Pathetic effort and display.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Been saying it fow a couple of years now... TRADE the "Magician" to the highest bidder.
He always disappears in the PO´s.

He´s not the only one to blame, but he needs to go.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm open to trading him but you must get equal value.

Everyone talks about the Tkachuk trade and how it changed the Panthers... well you can be Calgary in that trade too and get absolutely fleeced.

With Marner, there are a few options:

1.) Trade him for equal value
2.) Let him walk and throw that money on the stronger players in the same UFA cycle (Rantanen, Draisaitl)
3.) Re-sign him at a fair contract. Marner isn't a bad player and he is important to the team but not at the price he wants. If he's willing to sign for a decent price and there's no fair value trade or UFA - you're better off keeping him.

You don't want to be emotional and get fleeced on a trade. The Leafs trade of Phil Kessel for pennies on the dollar won Pittsburgh 2 Cups. The Leafs were rebuilding so it didn't matter. We won't be rebuilding here and if trading him makes us a worse team, then you keep him. You don't get players like him, even with all his faults, often.

Reactions: arso40

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
marner disgusts me. everything about him. from his cowardly play in the playoffs, to his childish interview responses and his unsavoury contract negotiation tactics.

if he's back next year every time he touches the puck he needs to be boo'd heavily and maybe even waffles thrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad