Sportsnet Just Covered Our Topics

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Anybody saw the second intermission with Kypreos/Scott Morrison???

They literally just covered topics that have been hot on these forums for weeks LOL- they covered:

-Players won't sign here because of the media
-Toronto is in the top 5 cities of no-trade clauses (players will not agree to be traded here)
-They have lost a "generation of Leaf fans" - and that part is EXACTLY how he said it - Morrison said that for an 18 year old, they have no "lasting memories" of the Leafs these past 10-15 years... this has been a hot topic that has been discussed here for the past few weeks.. WOW lol...

is really IS true.. these media guys read these forums and possibly participate as well - somebody brought this up yesterday- I doubted it, but now I totally agree..

question is, what are their names on here ;)

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The worst part of that for the folks that were around for the last Cup win, they're basically senile, so they don't remember either, and my generation only has Gilmour with a tall glass of toxic Ballard

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

They literally just covered topics that have been hot on these forums for weeks LOL- they covered:

-Toronto is in the top 5 cities of no-trade clauses (players will not agree to be traded here)
-They have lost a "generation of Leaf fans" - and that part is EXACTLY how he said it - Morrison said that for an 18 year old, they have no "lasting memories" of the Leafs these past 10-15 years... this has been a hot topic that has been discussed here for the past few weeks.. WOW lol...

is really IS true.. these media guys read these forums and possibly participate as well - somebody brought this up yesterday- I doubted it, but now I totally agree..

Coined the lost generation myself. Even if I didn't it's mine :)

Btw we all know they read it. It's good service to the community and if they do by chance touch on HFBoards discussion it speaks to the quality of conversation here.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The worst part of that for the folks that were around for the last Cup win, they're basically senile, so they don't remember either, and my generation only has Gilmour with a tall glass of toxic Ballard

Morrison was bang-on with his point that there's an entire generation of kids who've grown up watching a losing team and that may play a part in players not wanting to sign here. I'm almost 29 and was a big Gilmour fan but I can't recall much at all about Ballard, minus what I heard/read years later. I also have never seen this team in the cup finals, not even the cup finals for F sake, so I get what he's saying. Making the ECF is like winning a cup the way we talk about it.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I didn't believe it at first that these sports personalities that we see on TV would actually browse through these forums, but low and behold it's actually true. Come to think of it this isn't the firts time I recall seeing something like this - I remember a few years ago when the Leafs were being compared to the 80s teams (it was the firts time it was brought up on here), and then a day or two later Sportsnet ran a segment about how the Leafs were as bad as the 80s...

so yeah they're here for sure lol. I guess "social media" really is that powerful in today's world, even the TV sports anchors troll these forums :)

..why don't they just come out as their real selves here? Is there a reason they hide their identities on here? Seems a little odd- they show their full identity on national television but feel the need to hide it when browsing anonymous internet forums?

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
d80RVGg.png

It's obvious one of us is a spy for the Sportsnet crew.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Morrison was bang-on with his point that there's an entire generation of kids who've grown up watching a losing team and that may play a part in players not wanting to sign here. I'm almost 29 and was a big Gilmour fan but I can't recall much at all about Ballard, minus what I heard/read years later. I also have never seen this team in the cup finals, not even the cup finals for F sake, so I get what he's saying. Making the ECF is like winning a cup the way we talk about it.

yeah but that point was brought up here just a few weeks ago and has remained a hot topic - and now Morrison brought up that identical comment towards the end of their segment - meaning that he got that idea from reading HFBoards. Guys here were claiming that those guys are actually members among us - and now we know it's true. Crazy!!

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
No

They just use our wisdom cause they lack it :sarcasm:

Free sponsorship for everyone you cheap info stealers!

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
d80RVGg.png

haha lol.. "spy". Wouldn't go that far, it's a public forum so it's open to everyone, and apparently "everyone" does indeed read and participate :)

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The players were asked about the article yesterday, and Maurice was asked about it today. It's hardly a surprise they decided to cover the topic - it's a big talking point.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
d80RVGg.png

Good I hope there are GMs, trainers, coaches, secretaries at MLSE at least glancing over what we talk about here. There is no shame in reading the pulse of your market, it's actually ideal. 30mins a week that can be helpful to the cause. Even if there is a lot of wading to do.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

By the time Gilmour hit this team Ballard was more news worthy for "other" things, but the 70's and 80's could have been far better had we been owned by the local soup kitchen

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
yeah but that point was brought up here just a few weeks ago and has remained a hot topic - and now Morrison brought up that identical comment towards the end of their segment - meaning that he got that idea from reading HFBoards. Guys here were claiming that those guys are actually members among us - and now we know it's true. Crazy!!

Well, think about how many hours a week these guys spend talking about the Leafs...eventually they're going to bring up the same topics we do. But if you want to believe they're members, that's your call. Bobby Mac was a member at a time, he's the only one I'm aware of.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Well, think about how many hours a week these guys spend talking about the Leafs...eventually they're going to bring up the same topics we do. But if you want to believe they're members, that's your call. Bobby Mac was a member at a time, he's the only one I'm aware of.

members or guests, whatever- point is that they absolutely browse these forums, tonight was the proof and it wasn't the first time

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Well it's known Bob Mckenzie has an account here, he used to post sometimes (has like 400 posts). Steve Dangle has an account also, before he began working with the Leafs, I used to talk to him often. So there are guys who do lurk/post here that you may not expect.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Well it's known Bob Mckenzie has an account here, he used to post sometimes (has like 400 posts). Steve Dangle has an account also, before he began working with the Leafs, I used to talk to him often. So there are guys who do lurk/post here that you may not expect.

wow that's really cool, I didn't know that. Wonder why the rest of the guys won't just come out as who they are? Is it embarassing to post on a forum or something?

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
wow that's really cool, I didn't know that. Wonder why the rest of the guys won't just come out as who they are? Is it embarassing to post on a forum or something?

I would imagine being bombarded with questions constantly would become a headache.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Media complains about leafs. Admits that they are a big part of the problem, then keeps going and makes it worse

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A few years ago on Hockey Night In Canada there was a segment with Jeff Marek and Scott Morrison where Marek was talking about HFBoards, so it's something the media definitely knows about.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I remember when I was more active around here mentioning that we have lost any chance at getting new/young Leafs fans. That was about 4 years ago.

It was easy for me to come to this conclusion because my son was just old enough to start watching hockey with me. I kept thinking that if the Leafs keep losing like this, he's gonna join the ranks of other youngsters cheering for the Pens and Crosby.

Fast forward to today and he's really, really quiet about the NHL and who he likes. I think he wants to cheer for his dad's team but it's tough when he hears all his buddies slag the Leafs and he has nothing he can say to defend them.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I think that most of the things we talk about are spurred by some media commentary be it TV, paper, social media or radio. All the OP's topics were in the media first then became hot topics here

CalgaryLeaf*

Do you know if the poster using the name of 'Bill Watters' is the real deal?..Kinda creepy that somebody would post under that name otherwise.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I think that most of the things we talk about are spurred by some media commentary be it TV, paper, social media or radio. All the OP's topics were in the media first then became hot topics here

You're hired :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad