News Article: Sporting News take on the Hawks

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I hate the goalie Argument. I know it hurts a Team when #1 goes down, but this year we see it with Vegas as comparision.
Vegas is more comparable to the 2010 'hawks IMHO--only a couple of bonafied, established "stars" and everyone else pulling together to become more of the sum of their parts. This years 'hawks are more comparable to the 2016 Canadiens...the hingepin was their goalie and as soon as their starter went down they were exposed like a man getting a prostate exam

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
as I said, if he fought for them or not, they have been turds - we simply just haven't had much help when it comes to assistant coaches.

I am not defending Q at all, just saying that he doesn't control all our systems. And if the same adage is Q picked our coaches, so therefore it is on him, then Bowman picked our players and therefore their performance is on him as well...which I dont agree with fully either way.
wasn't SB the one who said 2 yrs ago, that he, SB went out to get the players that Q like and wanted...... that was until last yr.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Vegas is more comparable to the 2010 'hawks IMHO--only a couple of bonafied, established "stars" and everyone else pulling together to become more of the sum of their parts. This years 'hawks are more comparable to the 2016 Canadiens...the hingepin was their goalie and as soon as their starter went down they were exposed like a man getting a prostate exam
I don't even agree to anything here.
Hawks 2010 had Campbell and Hossa as established STARS, Keith, Sharp and Seabrook not as unknowns and Toews/Kane showed their worth at Young age against CGY/VAN in the POs.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Huh?????

Kane, Keith, Sharp, Hossa, Campbell, Toews, all established stars the season before...

Seabrook, Versteeg, Ladd, Bolland, Buff, Kopecky, Madden, all established players. The Hawks were HEAVY favorites in 2010. From the start of the season. Only Detroit and Pittsburgh had better odds. With 10-12 games left in the season, Hawks were the consensus #1 pick to win the cup.

If anything, that 2010 Hawks' team were UNDERACHIEVERS in the regular season.

There is absolutely no comparable for Vegas. I have no idea how 2010 Hawks and 2018 Vegas are similar. At all.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Vegas and the 2010 'hawks were greater than the sum of their parts. They pulled together as a team and bought into a gameplan that fed on their suc.
The 2018 'hawks are like the 2016 Canadiens. Both of their #1's went down and exposed the skaters as a medical-waste dumpster fire.

Ergo, the point that Vegas is the counterpoint to a team losing their #1 doesn't work. Vegas as a team that pulled together and bought into the game plan and reaped the rewards--thus they were able to win a ton with musical goaltenders. The 2018 'hawks can't compare at all. They have no team leadership, no gameplan, no drive, no cohesiveness, their stars are playing like has-beens and "just a guy" and were relying on their #1 to do all of the lifting and as such, when they went down the team completely fell apart...like the 2016 Canadiens.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Vegas and the 2010 'hawks were greater than the sum of their parts. They pulled together as a team and bought into a gameplan that fed on their suc.
The 2018 'hawks are like the 2016 Canadiens. Both of their #1's went down and exposed the skaters as a medical-waste dumpster fire.

Ergo, the point that Vegas is the counterpoint to a team losing their #1 doesn't work. Vegas as a team that pulled together and bought into the game plan and reaped the rewards--thus they were able to win a ton with musical goaltenders. The 2018 'hawks can't compare at all. They have no team leadership, no gameplan, no drive, no cohesiveness, their stars are playing like has-beens and "just a guy" and were relying on their #1 to do all of the lifting and as such, when they went down the team completely fell apart...like the 2016 Canadiens.
a really nice pov. i would like to add it was all in the head coach that they got.

i am really happy for Vegas success, b/c it is thru winning that a city and org can succeed esp if they are new......

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I'm not sure you understand what "greater than the sum of their parts" means.... The parts on that 2010 roster are parts you will never see assembled again in the salary cap era. Half of their bottom six, were top six players.

They had two top defensive pairings.

They had 3 legitimate scoring lines, and a 4th line that could shutdown anyone.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm not sure you understand what "greater than the sum of their parts" means.... The parts on that 2010 roster are parts you will never see assembled again in the salary cap era. Half of their bottom six, were top six players.

the bottom line is, in all things, it takes a person who can see the main point. the main point is needing a very good coach who can pull all things together to work .

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

I agreed with your prior post but this one has some rosey views of 2010 and describes the details of 13 and 15 far more.

No situation of Campbell and Hjalmarson were used or as legit as a 2nd top pairing players in 2010. And no 4th line was a shutdown line, Boland on the 3rd Line did more of that not the Frasier, Madden, Burish, a eager units. That even still in the postseason with Madden consistently there was a classic energy line

But every good team surprise success in 1 year is called the next Hawks. Toews even laughed off how often the last few years he's heard or been asked that when at Winnepeg this year having them get called it. It's perpetually silly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad