News Article: Sporting News take on the Hawks

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
And I'd say that he was a factor in pushing us over the edge in 2010 as well, not to mention helping catapult the team the year prior.

Lol, come on. That team was absolutely stacked. Legitimate 1st line players, playing on the 3rd line. They were the heavy favorites going into the season, and especially so going into the playoffs... That was one of the most ridiculous SC winning rosters you will ever see in the salary cap era.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I just said that he was a positive factor in pushing us over the edge in 2010. Q made a lot of good line decisions and handling minutes throughout the season and the playoffs, and I vividly remember chuckling at him outcoaching opponents during the playoffs as well. And I'd say that he was even better in 2013 and 2015.

The thing is that 2014 gets remembered because of the fall and how close we were. When you get to the really elite level, the mistakes and idiosyncrasies get amplified in memory and stand out far more, too.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Lol, come on. That team was absolutely stacked. Legitimate 1st line players, playing on the 3rd line. They were the heavy favorites going into the season, and especially so going into the playoffs... That was one of the most ridiculous SC winning rosters you will ever see in the salary cap era.

But at the same time it too a good coach to control all of that talent and put it in the right spots.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't think ANY coach would have won with the cup teams, but I think there's a whole slew of coaches you could have put in his place, and the Hawks still win those cups... He f***ed up the 2014 run in the same way he almost f***ed up the 2013 and 2015 runs. With nonsensical, logic defying lineup and roster decisions....

I cannot fathom people think Q had much of anything to do with the 2010 cup win. Andrew Ladd and Troy Brouwer were playing 3rd/4th line minutes on that team....

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
People like Pez complain about Q's "system" when it's not working. But can't give his "system" credit when he wins 3 Cups with it. It literally makes zero sense and gives those posters zero credability.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What is his system? I mean, since it was instrumental in the cup victories, please, do explain.
I'm not in the room learning it or sitting watching film studying it. Are you saying he didnt have one ??? LOL

I also don't recall claiming it was instrumental in the Cup wins.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
People like Pez complain about Q's "system" when it's not working. But can't give his "system" credit when he wins 3 Cups with it. It literally makes zero sense and gives those posters zero credability.

Baloney, throwing that line up over the boards overrides any impact Q's system may have had. Unless you are referring to being a puck possession team as opposed to dump and chase. The players were able to keep the puck because of their talent not some super secret system developed by Q.

Basically, the coach could only screw that up, which he did in 2014.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not in the room learning it or sitting watching film studying it. Are you saying he didnt have one ??? LOL

I also don't recall claiming it was instrumental in the Cup wins.

You've watched all these seasons and espouse Q's greatness and you can't identify his system?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You've watched all these seasons and espouse Q's greatness and you can't identify his system?
i am being partly a smart arse here and being truthful. i am a fan and i still haven't a clue to what kind of system Q plays.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Can I name every aspect of his system that he discusses with his players? Where they should be, when they should be there, when to shoot, when to pass, etc? No. He wanted his players to hold on to the puck more, not just shoot for the sake of shooting, find better shooting paths to the net by holding the puck more, to actively engage his Dmen in the Ozone, make stretch passes to forwards fleeing the zone early, etc. Beyond that, no one on the boards knows exactly what Q wanted his players to do, and what type of impact they had.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
you can say more then i know. all i know is he puts out players who keeps or try to keep out the puck of their net while putting more points on the board then the other team.

that is honestly the system i knows and how to describe the game plan. however in my limited knowledge, i know when that basic hockey is not working.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Can I name every aspect of his system that he discusses with his players? Where they should be, when they should be there, when to shoot, when to pass, etc? No. He wanted his players to hold on to the puck more, not just shoot for the sake of shooting, find better shooting paths to the net by holding the puck more, to actively engage his Dmen in the Ozone, make stretch passes to forwards fleeing the zone early, etc. Beyond that, no one on the boards knows exactly what Q wanted his players to do, and what type of impact they had.

If you have watched the Hawks the last 10 years, and understand the X's and O's of the game, there are several things that stick out...and are quite obviously not working. We can start with the defensive zone.... as it is the most obvious, and one of the biggest issues this team has.

The Hawks have never been a strong team in their defensive zone, even in their dominant runs. That's because they employ a passive zone system. They also do not actively take the body, but instead prefer "active sticks". This is what leads to extended shifts in the defensive zone, where they cannot gain possession or clear the puck... They do not clear the front of their net either. Nor do they attempt to block shots... unless it's a wrist shot, of course. This system actually completely works against itself...because most teams that employ a zone defensive system....collapse to the middle, clear the front of the net, and block a ton of shots...(BJs, Sharks, Stars, Wild, Blues, Kings). The Hawks are constantly leaving guys open in the slot, for fear of screening their goalie...apparently.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I think Q made a positive impact in 13 and 15 cup teams. The 2010 team was an absurd collection of talent that Barney Rubble could have coached to a cup (half joking).

I'm not convinced that team wins a Cup if Savard is still the coach.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
It seems Q is one of the least liked successful coaches ever in this town, where teflon Ditka is dawned over when he won one Super Bowl with a team that probably should have won three. Many coaches who won had great players like Scotty Bowman having Lafleur. Dryden, Larry Robinson, Lemieux, Jagr, Yzerman, Lindstrom just to name some and took over great to good teams and didn't exactly light the world on fire in Buffalo, look at Belichick's record before he had Brady at qb

Reactions: LDF

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
More Q bashing which is absolutely pathetic with idiotic statements like “message getting stale” as if this is the same team from 10 years ago. This team has a whopping 6 players from 2015 cup winning team and they are all grown veterans with letters on their jerseys at one time or another FFS, if these old geezers need a coach to motivate them at this point in their careers then obviously they are the problem and not the frickin coach lmao, the rest of the players are all new to this team and to the coach so this crap really needs to stop. STAN is the real culprit here, wake the f*** up already HF experts...

Reactions: LDF

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If you have watched the Hawks the last 10 years, and understand the X's and O's of the game, there are several things that stick out...and are quite obviously not working. We can start with the defensive zone.... as it is the most obvious, and one of the biggest issues this team has.

The Hawks have never been a strong team in their defensive zone, even in their dominant runs. That's because they employ a passive zone system. They also do not actively take the body, but instead prefer "active sticks". This is what leads to extended shifts in the defensive zone, where they cannot gain possession or clear the puck... They do not clear the front of their net either. Nor do they attempt to block shots... unless it's a wrist shot, of course. This system actually completely works against itself...because most teams that employ a zone defensive system....collapse to the middle, clear the front of the net, and block a ton of shots...(BJs, Sharks, Stars, Wild, Blues, Kings). The Hawks are constantly leaving guys open in the slot, for fear of screening their goalie...apparently.
Please show me where I said his system this year is working? He has been an issue this year, there is no denying it. I'm not sure what that has to do with the past Cup teams. Thr game was different 3+ years ago even, it's got faster and more skilled and Q hasn't changed much and it doesn't work anymore. But there is much more to our team being easy to play against, and it goes well beyond Q.

And go ahead, break down the X and O's of the Cup teams. I don't want to spend the time to sit here and draw up the coverage and set plays and explain them. I also have no idea if players are properly executing what they are being told to do. I would like to see it though, honestly.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think some give the 2014 roster too much credit. Overplaying Handzus or not, it was not all that great.

Slumping Sharp, Ben Smith, Rozsival, :scared: , Leddy, Handzus, Versteeg (and not the decent 14/15 version), Sheldon f***ing Brookbank, Bollig, and then an abominable rotation of Morin, Nordstrom, and Regin all seeing time.

We had a terrible bottom 6 that season and THAT was the difference between winning and losing to the Kings who were stacked with depth. Q didn't make adjustments quickly enough but the roster deficiencies were too much for ANY coach to overcome.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
You mean the roster that had 5 less points than the 2010 Cup team, the 2014 team also had the most offensive pop than any other Q team besides the 2010 team.

That weak roster?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yes, that roster. Are you seriously suggesting that the 2010 roster wasn't miles ahead of the 2014 roster??? I don't like Q anymore either but you're being ridiculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad