Sportico: 2023 NHL franchise values increased 30%+

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
bettman skeptical about sportico's analyis about franchise values..

bettman states that sportico undervalues NHL teams......

Valuations are really more about placements than they are about the numbers. TB recently sold 40% of their team at a valuation of $1.4 billion, which is $150 mill than Sportico listed. The buyer is given access via a NDA to the team's financials so that they can agree on the terms of the sale. So, Forbes and Co will always undershoot since they don't have all of the information.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sportico doesn’t miss, so if Bettman is adament, he needs to be more specific.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
bettman skeptical about sportico's analyis about franchise values..

bettman states that sportico undervalues NHL teams......

In fairness, in recent years we have typically seen franchises sell for a lot more than their Forbes / Sportico valuations. So he may have a fair point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well, just look at the news. Habs was valued at 2.5 billion and Sportico valued them at 2.27 ~ 2.3 billion, so that means they are 200 million off for each franchise then. I know I wouldn't pay 875 million for the Coyotes if I had that amount of money, but I know I wouldn't ever pay 2.4 billion for the Memphis Grizzlies or 2.55 billion for the New Orleans Pelicans if I had that type of money as well. I think there has been a lot of inflation impacting sports teams' values throughout, but I don't think Bettman is wrong in terms of undervaluation, especially when we got concrete numbers for the Montreal Canadiens.

Ottawa got 950 million without a good arena after the telly deal, whilst the Penguins went for 900 million before the ESPN telly deal. Pittsburgh is probably worth 1.3 billion at this stage. The problem is that we haven't really seen a major NHL team ever get sold in a very long time. All the original six, plus the top teams just keep getting passed down through the families and not be sold in the public.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, just look at the news. Habs was valued at 2.5 billion and Sportico valued them at 2.27 ~ 2.3 billion, so that means they are 200 million off for each franchise then. I know I wouldn't pay 875 million for the Coyotes if I had that amount of money, but I know I wouldn't ever pay 2.4 billion for the Memphis Grizzlies or 2.55 billion for the New Orleans Pelicans if I had that type of money.

Ottawa got 950 million without a good arena after the telly deal, whilst the Penguins went for 900 million before the ESPN telly deal. Pittsburgh is probably worth 1.3 billion at this stage.
If you buy the Habs, do you get the arena too? The NHL wants more owners to own their buildings. That’s something i don’t know we know about Ottawa is how much the building (or the real estate) is worth. We do know that people were tripping over each other to buy in.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well, just look at the news. Habs was valued at 2.5 billion and Sportico valued them at 2.27 ~ 2.3 billion, so that means they are 200 million off for each franchise then. I know I wouldn't pay 875 million for the Coyotes if I had that amount of money, but I know I wouldn't ever pay 2.4 billion for the Memphis Grizzlies or 2.55 billion for the New Orleans Pelicans if I had that type of money as well. I think there has been a lot of inflation impacting sports teams' values throughout, but I don't think Bettman is wrong in terms of undervaluation, especially when we got concrete numbers for the Montreal Canadiens.

Ottawa got 950 million without a good arena after the telly deal, whilst the Penguins went for 900 million before the ESPN telly deal. Pittsburgh is probably worth 1.3 billion at this stage. The problem is that we haven't really seen a major NHL team ever get sold in a very long time. All the original six, plus the top teams just keep getting passed down through the families and not be sold in the public.
Ottawa has a good arena, it’s just in the burbs.
Ottawa gets more money from regional and National deals individually than they do from what ESPN provides them. ESPN is about 1/3 of their regional deal per year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Sportico has historically copied the Forbes Business of Hockey annual franchise valuations. Every single NHL franchise sale has exceeded those Forbes/Sportico valuations.

Reasonable conclusion is Sportico has consistently missed and underestimated every franchise valuation.

Reactions: S E P H

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sportico has historically copied the Forbes Business of Hockey annual franchise valuations. Every single NHL franchise sale has exceeded those Forbes/Sportico valuations.

Reasonable conclusion is Sportico has consistently missed and underestimated every franchise valuation.
So it is then. My interpretation is that their reputation is such that when they publish and report, they are airtight. It’s Bettman’s job to tell everyone that teams are worth more than what anyone says. There’s not a moving clock on this, so it stands to reason that the value went up 31% from a year ago.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Probably the only things these reports are good for is seeing a major change in position of a team and wondering what business change occurred to have that team move up or down several spots in the rankings. I recall the Blues jump up into the late teens from their typical ranking in around the low to mid 20’s the prior few years once the Rams moved back to LA.
That kind of showed the impact of a crowded marketplace and the competition each sport is in attracting corporate support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad