GDT: Spidey's Angry! Bruins @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+ 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m happier with our play tonight even though we lost than with how we played against Minnesota, especially considering we didn’t have Palmieri. If we keep putting together efforts like that, the playoffs are a definite possibility.
My biggest worry is that we don't look this good when not trailing. We play A LOT better when trailing, every stat from shots to possession to goals will back that up. That's one improvement with our style of play from last year. Once we fell behind, the game was almost always over. Sometimes we could come back from down a goal, but never two. Most of the games last year looked like that Blues game from a couple weeks ago, where we couldn't do shit after the Blues went ahead in the 3rd.

Our play when either tied or winning, still leaves a lot to be desired. As does Hynes methods of who to play, while we're winning.

Luckily, he doesn't coach OT period's like that, since he knows you HAVE to score to win in that period and you can't just defend your way to a win, unless you take it in the shootout.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think the team looked better than they did against Minny, but I think a lot of that, if not all of it, can be attributed to how bad the Bruins are relative to the Wild.

Reactions: OmNomNom

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If he uses Boyle again early on in the shootout, it just might cost us the shootout the next time. It was cute once, but never again. What a DUMB move by Hynes.

It wasn't even cute once, it was Pete Carroll type being too arrogant to be smart. The sad part is he got bailed out cause everyone else who could have conceviably scored didn't anyway. At least Cory can get a night off criticism (I hope) lol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jesus, half our shooters that didn't score, were credited with a ''Miss'' and not a save in the shootout.

Bratt, Zacha, Hischier, Henrique (big f***in surprise from the worst shootout player in the entire league), Severson, all missed. Stafford, Boyle, Butcher, Gibbons, Zajac, all got a ''Save''. Bruins had a lot of misses too, including the two that appeared to be goals, but went off the post.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It wasn't even cute once, it was Pete Carroll type being too arrogant to be smart. The sad part is he got bailed out cause everyone else who could have conceviably scored didn't anyway. At least Cory can get a night off criticism (I hope) lol
It was really bad, but just going by history, I could take Boyle over Henrique. Boyle does have as many shootout goals career as Henrique, in less than half the attempts. Henrique is seriously the worst shootout player in the NHL. There's plenty of guys who might be worse, but they haven't been afforded the privilege to showcase their lack of talents in them as much as him. You see plenty of 1 for 9 guys (Pastrnak before tonight) and guys who are 2 for 11 or 1 for 7 or whatever, but 2 for 17 is an accomplishment. That's on Pete, for letting him accumulate so many opportunities, as Hynes has only used him 3 times, maybe 4, including tonight. I think it's only been 3 though and he scored on the first attempt.

It's almost like Hynes TRIES to do something to get you to critique him, in a game where I otherwise wouldn't have critiqued him much, outside of his insistence on using Boyle on the PP so much, which our PP has declined a bit since he started playing on it.

That might be more on Harry, who runs the PP. I'm not sure if Lloyd is the one who runs the 6 on 5, like he does the PK.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Unless the second period was different, it seemed like the Devils dominated aside from penalty trouble and a few defensive breakdowns in the first.

I think we're starting to get past the point of wondering if this team's record is just a facade.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Devils played well for long stretches but I really don’t like that they didn’t win this game. f*** the shootout result, that’s nonsense. I mean the fact that they didn’t blow the doors off a depleted Bruins team and take two points in regulation. Our lack of finish concerns me and I have a feeling tougher times are ahead with palmieri’s absence.

Reactions: glenwo2 and JK3

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think we're starting to get past the point of wondering if this team's record is just a facade.

No we're not...especially with Palm on the shelf till New Year's. If Cory can ever straighten out then it's a different story but I don't really think the offense is good enough to carry the team for the whole year yet. This East is tight anyway, one little losing streak and we go from first to bubble.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Devils played well for long stretches but I really don’t like that they didn’t win this game. **** the shootout result, that’s nonsense. I mean the fact that they didn’t blow the doors off a depleted Bruins team and take two points in regulation. Our lack of finish concerns me and I have a feeling tougher times are ahead with palmieri’s absence.

Yes, the spectre of 2013 haunts me. Posession, shots, no goals. Rinse and repeat.

Time to get the skills coach in!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
we got a decent team with good young players and a good looking future, I like it. Much better than the way I felt two or three years ago.
I'm out
Happy Thanksgiving all, and be thankful we're not Coyote fans or Sabre fans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm mad we're not Coyotes fans, they got Wedgewood and we don't! *sarcasm emoji, since my computer is crapping out and I can't get them emoji's up*:sarcasm: There he is!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone, as well friend!

Reactions: The 29th Pick

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Devils played well for long stretches but I really don’t like that they didn’t win this game. **** the shootout result, that’s nonsense. I mean the fact that they didn’t blow the doors off a depleted Bruins team and take two points in regulation. Our lack of finish concerns me and I have a feeling tougher times are ahead with palmieri’s absence.
On the one hand we def lack finish, from our best guys to our 4th line(aside from Gibbons of coarse), but on the other hand we create opportunities like crazy.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The skills show was frustrating because most of our shooters kept flubbing the puck.

We owned OT and the 3rd.

Prob deserved 2 points but need to finish these prime chances and breakaways.

Why didn't Moore get picked on the SO?

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Yes, the spectre of 2013 haunts me. Posession, shots, no goals. Rinse and repeat.

Time to get the skills coach in!

The Devils are still one of the best shooting percentage teams in the league. You're just starting to see a natural regression, which was due to happen. They weren't going to shoot 13% all season.

On the other hand, Nico might shoot 5% this season. That kid just cannot buy a goal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Unless the second period was different, it seemed like the Devils dominated aside from penalty trouble and a few defensive breakdowns in the first.

I've felt from the get go that this is a pretty legit team. Not top in conf legit, but there is talent and there is depth.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
we got a decent team with good young players and a good looking future, I like it. Much better than the way I felt two or three years ago.
I'm out
Happy Thanksgiving all, and be thankful we're not Coyote fans or Sabre fans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tenor.gif

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No we're not...especially with Palm on the shelf till New Year's. If Cory can ever straighten out then it's a different story but I don't really think the offense is good enough to carry the team for the whole year yet. This East is tight anyway, one little losing streak and we go from first to bubble.
I agree. The fact that we look awful when we're not trailing, is also a HUGE problem.

The personnel decisions seem to get stupider, as the season goes on. Boyle on the first unit PP, which the PP speaks for itself, it's taken a huge dip since he's been added to it. The little shootout choice tonight.

Even when Hynes coaches a good game, he always adds some weird quirk, just to give you something legitimately to complain about.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

I didn’t expect playoffs this season but now that we’re being teased a bit, they’re not going to have enough imho, unless Cory becomes the best player on the team. He’ll need to play at an elite level for it to happen. It’s a young team that’s going to make their share of defensive mistakes and I just don’t think we have the finishing required to make the jump right now. The conference is just too tight. That said, I fully expect them to compete for a spot, assuming they can get and stay healthy. NJ is a tough team to play against.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wish you didn't remind me of that year
It even had the Adam Henrique shootout attempt, to go along with the 2013 theme.

Only in 2013-2014, Henrique would have been one of the first 3 shooters, rather than the 7th shooter or whatever he was.

We can just pretend that we still have JJ and he was a healthy scratch, like many times in 2013-2014.

And was this the longest shootout in Devils history? I remember a 10-12 rounder back in 2007-2008 against the Thrashers. We lost that one too. We got so deep into the shootout, we used Karel Rachunek and Arron Asham. Bobby Holik was booed off the ice before his attempt and Hedberg was in goal for Atlanta. I don't even remember who scored to win it, some guy who wasn't all that good or who really did nothing in his career that sticks out to make me remember.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I didn’t expect playoffs this season but now that we’re being teased a bit, they’re not going to have enough imho, unless Cory becomes the best player on the team. He’ll need to play at an elite level for it to happen. It’s a young team that’s going to make their share of defensive mistakes and I just don’t think we have the finishing required to make the jump right now. The conference is just too tight. That said, I fully expect them to compete for a spot, assuming they can get and stay healthy. NJ is a tough team to play against.

They probably need to get to 95 points to make the playoffs. That's 67 points in 61 games. Really doesn't seem too crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad