Sphl expansion 2015

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
The league may have made it work, but the franchises that it's seen come and go in that time frame.... Was it really working?

Not really...but some league had to survive at the AA level...the E is the last one standing.

Very tough business to be in, the minor league hockey game.

Scoutin1

May 9, 2011
Not really...but some league had to survive at the AA level...the E is the last one standing.

I agree with you that the business of minor league hockey is absolutely brutal, there's simply no question. The E has survived due its willingness to submit to a "development" model. For those who closely follow minor pro, we've seen that the development angle is over-sold. Sure, there are ECHL guys who've made the show, but they're mostly goalies and position players who really didn't spend much time in the minors. But perception is mostly reality, and so the E can try to sell "development."

As minor pro continues to evolve, there maybe another real demand for a CoHL/UHL/IHL2.0 league. Let's hope...? Or not. :)

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

It is a rough going, but maybe the SPHL might have found the key to success. Let's hope they don't screw it up.

So, now they got 11 teams. I'm curious as to wondering if they'll aim for 12 this upcoming season or in the future. I'd like to see them try the Beaumont region.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
It is a rough going, but maybe the SPHL might have found the key to success. Let's hope they don't screw it up.

So, now they got 11 teams. I'm curious as to wondering if they'll aim for 12 this upcoming season or in the future. I'd like to see them try the Beaumont region.

The SPHL business model seems to be working. Not too much expansion too fast. Really, very little franchise movement compared to other minor leagues.

They seem to have a good business plan and stick to it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I agree with you that the business of minor league hockey is absolutely brutal, there's simply no question. The E has survived due its willingness to submit to a "development" model. For those who closely follow minor pro, we've seen that the development angle is over-sold. Sure, there are ECHL guys who've made the show, but they're mostly goalies and position players who really didn't spend much time in the minors. But perception is mostly reality, and so the E can try to sell "development."

As minor pro continues to evolve, there maybe another real demand for a CoHL/UHL/IHL2.0 league. Let's hope...? Or not. :)

Honestly that's the only reason the AHL survives as well...that and NHL teams have their hands on a fair amount of franchises. As for franchises coming and going the AHL has seen that as well although that's mostly moving from city A to city B.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The SPHL business model seems to be working. Not too much expansion too fast. Really, very little franchise movement compared to other minor leagues.

I don't necessarily follow the SPHL and I'm not aware of their model but small leagues have struggled and they are doing it well. The FHal is a disaster and the AAHL and others and the IHL 2.0 didn't work.

Scoutin1

May 9, 2011
I don't necessarily follow the SPHL and I'm not aware of their model but small leagues have struggled and they are doing it well. The FHal is a disaster and the AAHL and others and the IHL 2.0 didn't work.

With regard to the IHLv2, it didn't work; solid ownership groups are difficult to find, but the concept of regionally based teams to keep operating costs down was absolutely spot on. Like or hate the Frankes, they understood that in order to put minor pro hockey in the best position to succeed, operating costs had to remain as low as possible. And if you look at the E today, the majority of the games are played within as small of a region as possible.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

You also have to realize that the league started just before the recession and although they lost a few markets, other than Biloxi & maybe Jacksonville, those weren't strong areas anyway. The fact that they've been around for more than a decade is astounding.

I still think that they will take it easy with expansion, though they should see about going into other markets that haven't had a lot of activity and trying to establish a foothold. I do hope that they consider Beaumont, Jackson, and perhaps a team in southern Missouri eventually.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
There was a passing mention of the Chill dropping to the SPHL however its not surprising that didn't happen. I agree with Beaumont being an area that might be good to try, maybe Fort Worth again as well eventually. Really as it southern MO isn't an option because there is no arena. Springfield has a 2 sheet facility used by Missouri State and some youth teams but its mostly a rec rink. Really Family Arena would be the only open arena in Missouri other than Sprint Center but that's not happening.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You also have to realize that the league started just before the recession and although they lost a few markets, other than Biloxi & maybe Jacksonville, those weren't strong areas anyway. The fact that they've been around for more than a decade is astounding.

I still think that they will take it easy with expansion, though they should see about going into other markets that haven't had a lot of activity and trying to establish a foothold. I do hope that they consider Beaumont, Jackson, and perhaps a team in southern Missouri eventually.

Jackson, Mississippi? Interesting.

Beaumont. They can bring in Sweet Daddy Leo to coach again and he can dance again for them!

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Jackson, Mississippi? Interesting.

Beaumont. They can bring in Sweet Daddy Leo to coach again and he can dance again for them!

I say that because I look at the SPHL's model, and it could work in a few abandoned ECHL markets, because once upon a time, the southeast was that league's bread and butter. The issue, of course, lies in willing investors.

Frankly, my #1 pick would be Birmingham, but I don't know the situation there.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
"Dreaded"? Really? What a bizarre comment. The NAHL is a good league that has been successful in Johnstown. Their fanbase has taken to the "dreaded" product. No clue why they'd make a switch now.

Attendance has fallen each year the team has been in the league. Johnstown likes a winner - this team has been average at best. The only reason they will make the playoffs this year, is that in a four team division - all 4 make the playoffs.

I have made it to a few games, boring does not even describe my feelings.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Almost forgot to point out all the stupid things in this post!

Attendance has fallen each year the team has been in the league.

You mean like it did in the ECHL until the teams demise? How the pro team's attendance was worse than the current junior team's? Go ahead. Compare them. I'll wait.

Attendance had dwindled slightly from the first season in the NAHL, but went up this year. The difference from year one to this season is a loss of a whole 306. Yawn. Still second in the league. http://www.thetomablog.com/p/attendance-reports.html

Johnstown likes a winner - this team has been average at best. The only reason they will make the playoffs this year, is that in a four team division - all 4 make the playoffs.

The Tomahawks set a franchise record this season for most wins. Their record would have qualified them for the playoffs in literally any division. http://www.thetomablog.com/2016/03/tomahawks-look-to-make-history-and.html

I have made it to a few games, boring does not even describe my feelings.

Your feelings are your feelings. But they don't seem to have affected the rest of the fans and they don't change the facts about attendance and success. Johnstown couldn't draw enough to survive in the ECHL and still not enough for the SPHL should they expand their footprint that far. This is the reality of Johnstown hockey now, and it is a success story.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
There was a passing mention of the Chill dropping to the SPHL however its not surprising that didn't happen. I agree with Beaumont being an area that might be good to try, maybe Fort Worth again as well eventually. Really as it southern MO isn't an option because there is no arena. Springfield has a 2 sheet facility used by Missouri State and some youth teams but its mostly a rec rink. Really Family Arena would be the only open arena in Missouri other than Sprint Center but that's not happening.

The SPHL should add a western conference, maybe just a possibility, become one league lower than ECHL. Just a suggestion. Heres what it might look like with 30 teams in my opinion. New teams in bold

East
Macon
Pensacola
Mississippi (South haven)
Augusta
Peoria
Evansville
Louisiana (Lafayette)
Roanoke
Fayetteville
Columbus
Huntsville
Birmingham
Little Rock
Baton Rouge
Richmond

West (All New Teams)

Beumont
Fort Worth
Rio Grande Valley (Hidalgo TX)
St Charles
El Paso
Colorado Springs
Rio Rancho NM
Prescott Valley AZ
Tucson
Dodge City KS
Laredo TX
Shreveport/Bossier City
Wichita Falls
Cypress TX
Billings MT

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I see a handful of NAHL cities there. With lower operating costs (a team is only responsible for scouting, equipment & hockey ops in NAHL - SPHL, a team's responsible for that plus roughly $7K/week in salaries), there would be very little reason to move leagues, especially in cities where the market for hockey is not large.

perusix

Jan 17, 2015
How about the Pee Dee Pride coming back? It would be a great rivalry with the Fireantz. Florence, SC

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I see a handful of NAHL cities there. With lower operating costs (a team is only responsible for scouting, equipment & hockey ops in NAHL - SPHL, a team's responsible for that plus roughly $7K/week in salaries), there would be very little reason to move leagues, especially in cities where the market for hockey is not large.

Considering that the NAHL keeps rotating their range of teams (right now, they have a few in the Northeast, but a few years back, they had a larger footprint in the Southwest), that could be a possibility whenever teams move out.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Surprised nobody mentioned that the Thunderbolts were the name chosen for Evansville (the NA3HL team will be now the Jr. Thunderbolts).

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
almost forgot to point out all the stupid things in this post!

You mean like it did in the echl until the teams demise? How the pro team's attendance was worse than the current junior team's? Go ahead. Compare them. I'll wait.

Attendance had dwindled slightly from the first season in the nahl, but went up this year. The difference from year one to this season is a loss of a whole 306. Yawn. Still second in the league. http://www.thetomablog.com/p/attendance-reports.html

keep yawning that is what most people do at the games. You think with johnstown winning the hockeyville usa title they would have tried a little better in the marketing dept. Do they even have a marketing dept.???
The tomahawks set a franchise record this season for most wins. Their record would have qualified them for the playoffs in literally any division. http://www.thetomablog.com/2016/03/tomahawks-look-to-make-history-and.html

they would have played better teams more often, so doesn't matter how many points they had in their own division. They are a middle of the pack team.

Your feelings are your feelings. But they don't seem to have affected the rest of the fans and they don't change the facts about attendance and success. Johnstown couldn't draw enough to survive in the echl and still not enough for the sphl should they expand their footprint that far. This is the reality of johnstown hockey now, and it is a success story.

don't call it hockey please. Saw better high school games when i lived in johnstown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad