Sphl expansion 2015

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Besides the former Augusta club being moved to Macon, I don't know.

I'm also certain Peoria might leave the leave next season.

PH Hockey Fan

Jan 14, 2015
Port Huron is looking to join the FHL next year as they are hosting a neutral ice game at McMorran arena on Jan. 31. The FHL looks to make end road into the midwest. I wonder how far north the SPHL would like expand?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I heard of possible N.P.H.L or another version of A.C.H.L league in northeast for cities that lose the AHL and not practical for the ECHL to land in.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Rumors going around that Tim Kerr will be back in the league but it won't be in Biloxi. I've heard some things from a solid source but have no link to post to back it up. Also, there is still a group trying to return to Biloxi.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Um, I think Frostbite is thinking of the ECHL.

Any new rumors for the SPHL?

Pelham was close, the owners thought they had a good lease in place and when it came time to finalize and sign, there were some aspects they didn't like. At the earliest, it'll be 15-16 now for Pelham/Birmingham.

Also heard the Biloxi is definitely a no-go and the "owners" there are pretty much a scam to get money from others right now.

perusix

Jan 17, 2015
I just wish that the league could add a few more teams. The SPHL provides affordable entertainment for local hockey fans.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I just wish that the league could add a few more teams. The SPHL provides affordable entertainment for local hockey fans.

Outta curiosity, who's your favorite team?

Anyway, the problem isn't a lack of viable locations, but overall demand. The ECHL has left a massive hole in the Gulf Coast region but a team in Birmingham isn't likely for at least another year. The league will operate with 9 teams this upcoming season.

perusix

Jan 17, 2015
I am a Fayetteville Fireantz fan. I am happy that Macon will be joining the SPHL. I have cheered for Columbus Cottonmouths
when I was stationed near Columbus. I enjoy minor league hockey more to the physical style of play. My daughter likes figure skating.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
The most recent update was the Bilxoi media telling us what we already know. Jimmy Hodge isn't bringing a team back to town. They said for this season, I'd say period. When the report came out, it said Hodge had missed the league's deadline which means any other potential new teams did as well.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Now what would be nice to see is Wheeling drop down to the SPHL, then Johnstown leave that dreaded NAHL junior hockey and move up to the SPHL.

Maybe then you could get a few more "smaller arena" teams up north to join and then have the NPHL everyone has been talking about.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Now what would be nice to see is Wheeling drop down to the SPHL, then Johnstown leave that dreaded NAHL junior hockey and move up to the SPHL.

Maybe then you could get a few more "smaller arena" teams up north to join and then have the NPHL everyone has been talking about.

"Dreaded"? Really? What a bizarre comment. The NAHL is a good league that has been successful in Johnstown. Their fanbase has taken to the "dreaded" product. No clue why they'd make a switch now.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Well the ECHL has made it work for a decade plus thus far.

Been closer to 30 years....which for a minor league is remarkable.

I'm no fan of the entertainment value of the ECHL but its business model works as well as any AA league ever...it is still here. WCHL, WPHL > CoHL/ UHL/ IHL2 >CHL > all somehow morphed, one way another, into the ECHL.

The business model of any minor league hockey team is razor thin profit wise, if at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad