Spezza, L. Karlsson traded to DAL for Chiasson, Guptill, Paul, 2nd (see post 289,314)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This Spezza deal was all about the owner wanting to reduce payroll, they could have very easily re-signed both Michalek & Hemsky at $4 mil & kept Spezza who was also only making $4 mil this yr & would have had a veteran experienced high scoring #1 line. This was all about money or the lack of money by the owner who is also selling his horses, sounds like money problems to me. :shakehead

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I'm not ready to call the trade a disaster other than its appropriate for a team that is try to look forward rather than backwards. We've had some of Spezza's best years and we were medicore at best. Odds are we were never going to win a cup with Spezza. I doubt Chaisson will be a center piece of such a cup winning team but that doesn't mean he can't be a supporting cast. Here is hoping Kyle Turris continues to improve to the point where we don't miss Spezza's point per game production but while still being better at defence

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
This Spezza deal was all about the owner wanting to reduce payroll, they could have very easily re-signed both Michalek & Hemsky at $4 mil & kept Spezza who was also only making $4 mil this yr & would have had a veteran experienced high scoring #1 line. This was all about money or the lack of money by the owner who is also selling his horses, sounds like money problems to me. :shakehead

He probably does have his own set of money problems that present a set of issues that are distinct from Ottawa's viability as an NHL market. However we should ask ourselves could our team legitimately win with a Michalek/Spezza/Hemsky top line. Personally I think such a team is a bubble playoff team at best.

DavidOilTroops

Jun 28, 2014
North Bay
Hey guys, Just wanna give some info on Nick Paul. As a North Bay Battalion season ticket holder ive watched a ton of him this year.
He is an awesome player. Literally does everything. Scores, hits, not afraid to get in the dirty areas. Very creative with the puck and can score clutch goals. He is a fan favorite here and there is some talk he might end up with the captaincy this year after our capn was signed by San Jose.
I have no doubt Nick will end up in the NHL at some point. If i had to give some negatives its that he is a streaky guy. He can disappear once in a while. But he always shows up in big games, no worries. In the playoffs this year he was fantastic helping us capture the OHL Eastern Championship.

Hemmer Time

May 4, 2014
What's Chiasson's ceiling? HF says he's a more talented version of Blake Wheeler but I think that's an old update.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
He probably does have his own set of money problems that present a set of issues that are distinct from Ottawa's viability as an NHL market. However we should ask ourselves could our team legitimately win with a Michalek/Spezza/Hemsky top line. Personally I think such a team is a bubble playoff team at best.

Michalek/Spezza/Hemsky

is now

michalek Zibanejad Chaisson xD

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Hey guys, Just wanna give some info on Nick Paul. As a North Bay Battalion season ticket holder ive watched a ton of him this year.
He is an awesome player. Literally does everything. Scores, hits, not afraid to get in the dirty areas. Very creative with the puck and can score clutch goals. He is a fan favorite here and there is some talk he might end up with the captaincy this year after our capn was signed by San Jose.
I have no doubt Nick will end up in the NHL at some point. If i had to give some negatives its that he is a streaky guy. He can disappear once in a while. But he always shows up in big games, no worries. In the playoffs this year he was fantastic helping us capture the OHL Eastern Championship.
Sounds good ty for the info;)

Caje

Mar 18, 2010

Thanks for the info. I only got to see him during the Guelph-North Bay series, but I was very impressed with what I saw.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax

Good to hear. Doesn't sound like someone who will set the NHL on fire but it sounds like he has the potential for upside.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
Don't like Chiasson at all. Bad defensively, negative possession player, scored at about the same rate as Vernon Fiddler 5 on 5, wasn't scoring in the AHL when he was there, had a hot streak to start the year than absolutely vanished quickly. Young but not young enough that he's going to get a ton better.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not ready to call the trade a disaster other than its appropriate for a team that is try to look forward rather than backwards. We've had some of Spezza's best years and we were medicore at best. Odds are we were never going to win a cup with Spezza. I doubt Chaisson will be a center piece of such a cup winning team but that doesn't mean he can't be a supporting cast. Here is hoping Kyle Turris continues to improve to the point where we don't miss Spezza's point per game production but while still being better at defence

I've never been a Spezza fan & critizied him often but I find it funny how quickly people turn on players on here after they get traded. Have you forgotten we went to the cup finals with Spezza & won a couple of Conference/Division titles with him, we just haven't won a cup yet & after today we won't for quite some time. Ottawa was a pretty good team under JM but couldn't get past Toronto like Boston is a pretty good team that can't seem to get past a weaker Montreal team.

Well we would still have a pretty good 2nd line with Turris, Ryan & MacArthur which a lot of people on here have called our top line. Plus a 3rd line with three pretty good young players in Zibanejad, Stone & Hoffman plus the Smith line. IMO that would be a playoff team not just a bubble team but how far they would go is unpredictable in the playoffs.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Don't like Chiasson at all. Bad defensively, negative possession player, scored at about the same rate as Vernon Fiddler 5 on 5, wasn't scoring in the AHL when he was there, had a hot streak to start the year than absolutely vanished quickly. Young but not young enough that he's going to get a ton better.

I don't have quite the same opinion as you, but I really wanted to stay away from him because while I can see him becoming a regular second liner, I can just as easily see him landing in a 3rd/4th line role for the rest of his career.

His ceiling isn't very high, and yet he's still a risky choice. Would not have picked him as the centerpiece of a deal.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
Except for our entire roster.

Obviously, Spezza nixed the Nashville deal because he wanted to play with his new BFF Hemky, who is overrated as hell and is now overpaid. No way Nashville was going to sign both. Murray was smart enough to not cave to their ridiculous prices. It was sign Spezza and Hemsky to crazy contracts, or they walk.

So much fail in this post. In what world is Hemsky overpaid, considering we gave Michalek the exact same contract? Nashville has plenty of cap room and are looking to change the makeup of their team entirely, have plenty of cap room so nothing stopping them from getting Hemsky as well.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bob MacKenzie said Paul would win games by himself for the team.

Sounds encouraging.

Was 4th on his team in points as rookie even though he was playing huge chunk under illness that made him lose 15 pounds.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The first thing I have said today was that SPEZZA ONLY HAD 1 YEAR VALUE TO US. HE WAS GOING TO BE A UFA.

That's how you evaluate your asset (after you sold it of course). There was a mutual desire from both parts to go separate ways.

So now what about all those teams losing big UFA players every year (ex : Paul Stastny)? I mean hundreds of Millions are thrown away so there must be a few quality players in there... However all those GMs are unable to get something back for them, not even a 7th round draft pick!

Should all the GMs be fired on the spot?

Let's see if someone has something interesting to say about this...

hehehe

Haven't seen this here yet:

Yup, like I thought, not ONE reason in particular and yet 99% of people speculated this or that. Could be a good lesson, too bad the human being never really learn.

Except for the Turris and Anderson trades, we won the trades due to our drafting and not actual traded bodies. Even more so, at the time of the Turris trade, we traded our top prospect and a second rounder for someone who asked to be traded and was being a ***** about it. You'd think we could get it cheaper than our top prospect and a 2nd rounder.

The Anderson trade was more of a flukie situation more than anything that worked out amazingly in our favour.

The Foligno - Methot trade is a wash. Don't think anyone came out ahead. CBJ love Foligno, and looky looky we are looking for a forward that can play in top 9 with some grit.

Actually I could make the case that we OTT-DET Peumpel trade is looking better for DET.

We... that's where the reality stops my friend. Our views and those of NHL staff is not very similar I think...

And finally, as I have repeated a ton of times in the past, you don't make trades to win the trade, but to fill a position of need from a position of strength. I'd say that 80% of trades usually make both teams happy. In Spezza's case, it's a different beast, an amical divorce.

Note : The players drafted with picks don't really concern the other team. Not sure how to explain that without taking quite some time, but a 2nd is a 2nd, now it's your job to make the best of it. Doesn't mean the other team got "fleeced" (ridiculous Armchair GM term) if you draft Mark Stone with a 6th rounder. It was still a 6th rounder.

I was prepared for that. But I'd rather get quality over quantity. You telling me he couldn't hold out to at least get a 1st rounder? like he caved in and gave out our 1st rounder for Ryan.

So you think 31 y/o Spezza with one year left at 7.0 has more value than 26 y/o Bobby Ryan who had 2 years at 5.1?

Silfverberg vs Chiasson
Guptill vs Noesen
Paul + 2nd in a good draft vs 1st in a weak draft

Heck the 2nd next year a better prospect than a 1st this year.

I expect you to call it exactly what it is...

Whatever Murrays motives were, can you say they worked? He said he would not move him unless the move was fair... Maybe him and the scouting staff have the 2 prospects rated extremely high? nobody knows...

But on the surface, it is a MEH return...

And that's all we will ever scratch I'm afraid :D

It's cool, we talk about hockey, but we don't know about it as much as we seem to think, well at least not when it concerns the NHL

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wonder how Chiasson feels about the trade. I wonder why there hasn't been an interview with him yet?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If you guys think he's going to be a powerforward type for us who brings grit in his role, you're going to be massively disappointed.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
The one thing you can say about Spezza is that unlike Heatley and Alfredsson, he had the backbone to go on record to explain his reason and the trade immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad