TSN: Spengler cup info.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Spengler Cup is good hockey. Lots of former NHLers on the team this year. Couple former Leafs on the roster actually.

Goaltenders -- Jeff Glass (Dinamo Minsk, KHL), Drew MacIntyre (Charlotte, AHL).

Defencemen -- Keith Aulie (Springfield, AHL), Trevor Carrick (Charlotte, AHL), Mark Cundari (San Jose, AHL), Marc-Andre Bergeron (ZSC Lions, Switzerland), Aaron Johnson (Stockton, AHL), Alexandre Picard (HC Fribourg-Gotteron, Switzerland), and Daniel Vukovic (Geneve-Servette HC, Switzerland).

Forwards -- Kris Foucault (ZSC Lions, Switzerland), Derek Roy (SC Bern, Switzerland), Kevin Clark (SCL Tigers, Switzerland), Chris DiDomenico (SCL Tigers, Switzerland), Alexandre Giroux (HC Ambri-Piotta, Switzerland), Dan Paille (Rockford, AHL), Matthew Lombardi (Geneve-Servette HC, Switzerland), Cory Conacher (Bern, Switzerland), Manny Malhotra (Lake Erie, AHL), Cory Emmerton (HC Ambri-Piotta, Switzerland), Tom Pyatt (Geneve-Servette HC, Switzerland), Matt D'Agostini (Geneve-Servette HC, Switzerland), Matt Ellison (Dinamo Minsk, KHL), and James Sheppard (Kloten Flyers, Switzerland).

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I only watched this tournament when Canada was stacked in 2012 because of the lockout. Pretty uninteresting any other time.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Not something I follow too closely, but seems to be quite a few ex Leafs on the team. While none of the really had success here, always wish them the best.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
If I remember correctly - the Marlies used to lend a player to Team Canada in the past ... sort of a 'good will' thing.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Is it just me or is there 850 million different tournaments?

welcome to the commercialization of sport. Where the big wigs create tournaments, a trophy, give it a name and watch the money flow in.

Prime example are the college bowl games during this time of year. There's around 35-40 I believe, all with terrible names due to sponsorship titles.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
welcome to the commercialization of sport. Where the big wigs create tournaments, a trophy, give it a name and watch the money flow in.

Prime example are the college bowl games during this time of year. There's around 35-40 I believe, all with terrible names due to sponsorship titles.
You do realize majority of these tournaments have been around for decades right?

World Championships - 1920
Spengler cup - 1923
World Juniors - 1977

There's been 2 World Cup of Hockey tournaments with its third coming soon and that started in 96. The NHL started to allow their players at the Olympics in 98. None of this is anything new

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
The final game was fantastic!
More hits, action, and atmosphere than I've seen at any NHL offering this year

...And also, the best line from any play-by-play guy to date...

"Elvis has left the crease!"

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
"We had such a special group of guys, it is something I will remember for the rest of my life," said Canada defenceman Aaron Johnson, who assisted on the game-winner. "I came in not knowing a lot about the tournament and the atmosphere was more than I could ever imagine.

"The fans were amazing and I had so much fun playing for Team Canada with all of the families in the stands and people watching back home. What an experience, (I'm) so proud."

Congrats men! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad