Blue Jays Discussion: Spending money on FA's?! Yes you read that correctly (Russell Martin signs $82M/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
There has been no playoffs for 20 years? I think people have the right to complain about this laughable team.

Then go watch someone else. Every positive move we make fans are all over them.

I duno I could never cheer for a team that just made me miserable all the time.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Hah, a conference call for a minor league acquisition with no guarantee to make the team out of spring training. :laugh:

That is the front office at its best. Selling hope.

Where was Andy Dirks conference call at least he has played MLB ball haha

Jaysfanatic*

They're having aconference call because this kid will be the starting second baseman come April. Just ridiculous.

Jaysfanatic*

I don't think you can tell people what to do. You want to be super supportive? Fine, do so. If we are skeptical, let us be. I used to be positive. Even this move is a good one. But reading the hucksters quote makes me realize that they're setting us up to lose Cabrera and have no viable alternatives.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The only reason he the tigers top prospect is that they dealt lots of their prospects away the past season and half. It like the jays trading Stroman, Sanchez, Norris, Pompay and Hoffman and they saying Osuna is our #1 prospect.....sure by default.

So getting this guy from the Tigers for an MLB player who can play at least 1 part of the game doesn't scream playoffs it screams payroll trimming.

First of all, Stroman and Sanchez are big time prospects, firmly entrenched in the Top 100 prospects on Baseball America, Osuna is not. Whether that matters or not is one thing, but it's a different scenario when Travis is regarded as one of the best 2B prospects out there - looks to be around 4th. That's a slam dunk trade IMO. Gose was fine, nothing wrong with him necessarily, but he is what he is - a defensively gifted speedster who doesn't appear to have any offensive upside to speak of. With Travis, we get a consensus top 2B prospect who, while he may not play in the MLB this upcoming year, appears to have a very bright future.

Also...what kind of payroll trimming are we talking about here? A million dollars? Maybe 2? In baseball that's a drop in the bucket, it's not even worth mentioning IMO.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
He's 5'9 and is adequate defensively
at 24 hasnt made it past AA yet

Gose could win a gold glove

but offensively ok we win

From everything I have read, he seems to have a potential 60 Bat, 40 Power, and 50 everything else. If he is able to reach that it would make him a 2-3 WAR player a season and certainly a useful piece to have.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
When I frat read we got the Tigers 1 prospect for Gose I laughed, for a while. It's the Tigers, their farm sucks but still. And I was higher in Gose than most. The fact that he's almost MLB ready and plays 2nd is awesome.

Really need a LF now though, please resign Melky

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The "Psy" Young reward?

pop-off-psy-artist.jpg

Isn't it you that's supposed to be making this kind of errors :sarcasm:

The trolling is turned up all the way in this thread. That's the only explanation considering the off-season just started. Will AA make more moves? Maybe, maybe not. But let's wait to castigate him until things have unfolded. If he does add a couple more players that fill a need, I hope some of you are man enough to admit you jumped the gun.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Isn't it you that's supposed to be making this kind of errors :sarcasm:

The trolling is turned up all the way in this thread. That's the only explanation considering the off-season just started. Will AA make more moves? Maybe, maybe not. But let's wait to castigate him until things have unfolded. If he does add a couple more players that fill a need, I hope some of you are man enough to admit you jumped the gun.

I will be the first to say my bad if they go out and add PREMIUM players not the usual bargain basement/waiver wire pickups they do.

People are finally turning up the heat on this organization as they are fed up with the talking out of both sides of their mouth like a good politician saying oh yeah we got money to spend and improve if we are in a playoff race or we have 40 million to spend.

Then you get the usual well it didn't fit our parameters with regards to financial remuneration based on his value or some 15 word sentence to say we got no money.

Now if he goes out and fills all the holes with quality pieces they kudos to AA who is actually doing his job to make the team better. Right now as of today this team is no better than last year and worse granted only a few days into it but still worse...no Lind, probably no Melky

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Can't say i'll miss Gose. He was pretty good defensively, but watching him take AB's was an excerise in frustration.

Here's hoping AA has other **** on the go as well. As of now, that lineup isn't exactly scaring anyone.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

The only thing worse about people complaining about frustrated fans are fans telling those people how to be proper fans.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Here's hoping AA has other **** on the go as well. As of now, that lineup isn't exactly scaring anyone.

Did we scare the MLB two years ago when we made that HUGE trade... yes, but look what happened.

To me, it's about positional players and we got a good second baseman who can hit. Big risk but worth it. Gose was good defensively but he couldn't hit.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You can be frustrated, but to all of a sudden come flying out when Gose is traded for Travis makes absolutely no sense.

I've never bothered to add people to my ignore list but it'll probably happen soon at this rate.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You can be frustrated, but to all of a sudden come flying out when Gose is traded for Travis makes absolutely no sense.

I've never bothered to add people to my ignore list but it'll probably happen soon at this rate.

Well if you want to make the case Gose wasn't given much of an opportunity I think that's fair. Travis hasn't played above AA seems like it's far fetched to think he will be an everyday 2B. It's not like Travis solves that problem for the present. I don't think anybody can adequately predict out of the 3 CF logjam the Jays had (Pillar, Pompey, Gose) which one of those 3 will have a better career.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I will be the first to say my bad if they go out and add PREMIUM players not the usual bargain basement/waiver wire pickups they do.

People are finally turning up the heat on this organization as they are fed up with the talking out of both sides of their mouth like a good politician saying oh yeah we got money to spend and improve if we are in a playoff race or we have 40 million to spend.

Then you get the usual well it didn't fit our parameters with regards to financial remuneration based on his value or some 15 word sentence to say we got no money.

Now if he goes out and fills all the holes with quality pieces they kudos to AA who is actually doing his job to make the team better. Right now as of today this team is no better than last year and worse granted only a few days into it but still worse...no Lind, probably no Melky

That's fair, as long as you're not expecting guys like Scherzer or VMart by saying "premium." Fact is, big-ticket players don't seem to want to play for the Jays. Now, if we go into opening day with things as they are now, the comments will be more than warranted. But some are acting like the sky is falling because only a couple minor moves have been made like a week into the off-season. VMart's priority was to re-sign with Detroit. I don't know what people expect, for the Jays to throw 200 million at him?

This.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Its pretty simple folks. Before today no one ever heard of Travis and never once thought of him as the future 2B of the team.

Now after the trade people are saying well sure why not? Don't hype up a prospect cause the Jays picked him up. The Tiger's farm team is not very good and he is a fringe top 100 prospect.

They gave up a solid defensive CF who might never hit for high average but still can run and play premium D. If the Jays had any money to fill the holes in LF, 2B and DH his impact on a lineup offensively would so minimal it would be ok to carry him as the CF. What happens is now you have no offence at DH, LF and 2B so you can't carry another guy in CF.

If they re-signed Melky, made a deal for Kendricks who is available and then brought in a solid bat at DH, Gose would be ok in CF as the weak bat in the lineup but who knows given a full season of you got this job no matter what maybe he turns into a decent hitter. He will have that chance with the Tigers.

Travis may or may not ever make an impact so let's not go anoint this guy the saviour at 2B.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Its pretty simple folks. Before today no one ever heard of Travis and never once thought of him as the future 2B of the team.

Now after the trade people are saying well sure why not? Don't hype up a prospect cause the Jays picked him up. The Tiger's farm team is not very good and he is a fringe top 100 prospect.

They gave up a solid defensive CF who might never hit for high average but still can run and play premium D. If the Jays had any money to fill the holes in LF, 2B and DH his impact on a lineup offensively would so minimal it would be ok to carry him as the CF. What happens is now you have no offence at DH, LF and 2B so you can't carry another guy in CF.

If they re-signed Melky, made a deal for Kendricks who is available and then brought in a solid bat at DH, Gose would be ok in CF as the weak bat in the lineup but who knows given a full season of you got this job no matter what maybe he turns into a decent hitter. He will have that chance with the Tigers.

Travis may or may not ever make an impact so let's not go anoint this guy the saviour at 2B.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/blue-jays-and-tigers-make-minor-trade-that-might-matter/

This is a pretty even-balanced take on the deal

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The point is that they moved someone that has clearly dropped in the CF depth chart behind Pompey for a guy that automatically rises to the top in our 2B depth chart. We traded someone that has fallen out in favour of someone that can provide league average value at 2B, a position that was manned by Goins, Tolleson, and Kawasaki for much of the season.

Just because Travis hasn't played above AA does not mean he can't at this point either (and he will next season no matter what). His bat has been noted as polished and he has hit his way through the minors so far in his pro career. So maybe he plays at AAA, but AA has potentially set this team up to have someone man 2B for several years. He most likely will not be an all star, but providing .280/.320/.400 with average defence is something we have not seen since the good Hill days.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Actually he was labelled as the Tigers future 2B but having Kinsler there for another 4 years had them attempt to convert him later on this past season as a CF because they had nobody out there. This move helps both teams.

Kendrick is also on the Jays no trade list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad