Blue Jays Discussion: Spending money on FA's?! Yes you read that correctly (Russell Martin signs $82M/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Just read some of the updates about the Melky situation.

I'm a little surprised to hear that (from what's out there) they're only about $11 million apart - Jays offered $39 million, Melky wants around $50 million.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem like a very big gap to bridge between the two sides. My impression from AA's comments was Melky priced himself way out of the Jays market and they didn't think it was possible to get a deal done.

$11 million over a multi-year contract doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
an MLB ready player who can't hit is still a player who can't hit.

I love how this now free's up our budget to attack LF, DH and maybe some good pen/starter depth. Maybe Martin now? :sarcasm:

You do realize that Gose's 1.3 WAR pro-rates to better than Pillar's (and that's including us mitigating his defensive value some by playing him in LF and RF for 25 games).

Pompey had 43 PA. He posted a much higher wRC+ (ie was better offensively), but that is without MLB making any adjustments to him. He also had the same K and BB rates.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Wow. With Rasmus, Melky and Lind gone the only left handed bat of significance on the roster is Reyes.

Obviously the Gose trade is just the start of what is going to happen.

Any chance Travis makes the team as the starter? Or does he need time to develop at Triple A?

I have no problem with them going with a good prospect at second (it would be far better than the cast of re-treads in recent years) provided they go out and get legitimate major leaguers for left/centre/DH.

Steamers projects him as a MLB average bat this year (.273/.320/.401/.721) with a 5.8 BB rate and a 13.1 K rate. He's also someone who will stick at 2B.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Just read some of the updates about the Melky situation.

I'm a little surprised to hear that (from what's out there) they're only about $11 million apart - Jays offered $39 million, Melky wants around $50 million.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem like a very big gap to bridge between the two sides. My impression from AA's comments was Melky priced himself way out of the Jays market and they didn't think it was possible to get a deal done.

$11 million over a multi-year contract doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

I wonder if a 3-year, $42-44 million deal would work if there is an option for one or two years tacked on to it.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Keep in mind, the offseason is still salvageable.

If AA holds true on signing the best FA, we aren't in on Martin or Sandoval, we are after Scherzer.

That would allow us to move a starter to get a real CF. We also need to sign a LF (preferably Melky).

On top of that, we need to rebuild our bullpen. We're talking about moving Sanchez to the rotation, which means that we are short 3 arms from last year (and Redmond should never have been in the pen in the first place). If Cecil is the closer (which is possible), we'd need a LOOGY or two.

Jaysfanatic*

Oh I forgot. Andy Dirks and Justin Smoak. They'll be on the team somehow too. Can't wait to see more trash waiver wire pickups used to try and patch things.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Oh I forgot. Andy Dirks and Justin Smoak. They'll be on the team somehow too. Can't wait to see more trash waiver wire pickups used to try and patch things.

There's no pleasing some fans..

A yways who is this new guy we got? Is he any good?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Keep in mind, the offseason is still salvageable.

If AA holds true on signing the best FA, we aren't in on Martin or Sandoval, we are after Scherzer.

That would allow us to move a starter to get a real CF. We also need to sign a LF (preferably Melky).

This is incredible wishful thinking IMO.

When was the last time we landed THE top free agent? Even close to that? Roger Clemens in 97?

There's ZERO reason to think we have even a moderate chance at getting Sherzer, Lestoe, or anyone of that calibre.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I wonder if a 3-year, $42-44 million deal would work if there is an option for one or two years tacked on to it.

If AA loses Melky for 11 million he's really an idiot. I understand wanted to keep payroll aligned when it comes to both Bautista and EE. But the market has risen and melky is worth at least 14 million a season based on his output last season. If you can get him for 4 years at 12 million per he should jump all over that. Thats' 48 million.

If they let Melky walk, I will no longer be a fan as this is absurd if true.:rant::rant:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
You do realize that Gose's 1.3 WAR pro-rates to better than Pillar's (and that's including us mitigating his defensive value some by playing him in LF and RF for 25 games).

Pompey had 43 PA. He posted a much higher wRC+ (ie was better offensively), but that is without MLB making any adjustments to him. He also had the same K and BB rates.

I do. Its just that with a lineup that currently features 3 and maybe 4 black holes offensively, you can easily justify sacrificing Gose for an offensive player. Especially when its an area of depth of the system.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If AA loses Melky for 11 million he's really an idiot. I understand wanted to keep payroll aligned when it comes to both Bautista and EE. But the market has risen and melky is worth at least 14 million a season based on his output last season. If you can get him for 4 years at 12 million per he should jump all over that. Thats' 48 million.

If they let Melky walk, I will no longer be a fan as this is absurd if true.:rant::rant:

Its not a bad gamble. With the compensation pick attached to Melky teams will not be willing to pay up what he is asking for so if we hold our ground and move slightly while waiting him out, we stand a chance to get him back on a reasonable contract so we could still save cash to add more.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
This is incredible wishful thinking IMO.

When was the last time we landed THE top free agent? Even close to that? Roger Clemens in 97?

There's ZERO reason to think we have even a moderate chance at getting Sherzer, Lestoe, or anyone of that calibre.

But neither of the other two make us a better team next year (Sandoval plays a position we don't need because we have Lawrie and Valencia who can't really play 2B and Martin is a C who would force us to play Navarro who only really has value as a C at DH).

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I do. Its just that with a lineup that currently features 3 and maybe 4 black holes offensively, you can easily justify sacrificing Gose for an offensive player. Especially when its an area of depth of the system.

The biggest issue with Gose is where he hits. Our manager decided that he liked him and Reyes back to back, but the side effect was that it neutered a player whose primary value is speed.

If he's a 7 or 8 hitter, he would have been able to run 30-40 times and increase his value even more.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Gose also had one of the biggest strikezones in the league, which was ridiculous at times.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
The biggest issue with Gose is where he hits. Our manager decided that he liked him and Reyes back to back, but the side effect was that it neutered a player whose primary value is speed.

If he's a 7 or 8 hitter, he would have been able to run 30-40 times and increase his value even more.

High K's and Low power is not a good mix.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

I liked him at 9. When he was on base that has value since you'd have the top of the lineup up. Him and Reyes were fun to watch back to back in May it's just Gose stopped hitting.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

If the difference is in that $11 million neighbourhood, perhaps they could tack on a 4th year. After this season a lot of salary comes off the books. They aren't really committed to many players - except Reyes - for the long term.

If the team is capable of going three years $39 million, four years at $50 million doesn't seem to be that big of a stretch.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
But neither of the other two make us a better team next year (Sandoval plays a position we don't need because we have Lawrie and Valencia who can't really play 2B and Martin is a C who would force us to play Navarro who only really has value as a C at DH).

I don't disagree that Sherzer WOULD have the most impact. I just don't think there's a chance of it happening.

I don't think we have a particularly good shot at Martin either TBH. Unfortunately we have to compete against other teams for free agents. Chances are we'll add somebody but it'll be a secondary guy, and we'll be relying on our youth to progress faster than expected if we're to have a shot at the playoffs.

Which means we probably don't have a great shot at the playoffs.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I don't disagree that Sherzer WOULD have the most impact. I just don't think there's a chance of it happening.

I don't think we have a particularly good shot at Martin either TBH. Unfortunately we have to compete against other teams for free agents. Chances are we'll add somebody but it'll be a secondary guy, and we'll be relying on our youth to progress faster than expected if we're to have a shot at the playoffs.

Which means we probably don't have a great shot at the playoffs.

Last time there was a crap free agent market like this, AA made trades to fill holes and only signed guys who were willing to fit in financially. Melky sounds like he is close to fitting in, which leaves the rest to be done via trade (for example, Hamels is rumored to be available).

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
There has been no playoffs for 20 years? I think people have the right to complain about this laughable team.

You can complain about the moves themselves (because they don't make sense in a vaccuum), but you need to wait a couple of weeks at least to judge the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad