Spencer Foo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not after July 1st. Holland wants to make the playoffs.

Yeah, the things Holland keeps saying, sound like he is trying for playoffs only, no rebuild whatsoever. I am not hardcore rebuild (but I believe Big Changes are Needed), but the current team is not making the playoffs. Our d is bad, but we can't score goals to save our lives.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I can't get too excited about the prospect of landing him. I'm sensing a Bobby Butler-esque scenario playing out.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah, the things Holland keeps saying, sound like he is trying for playoffs only, no rebuild whatsoever. I am not hardcore rebuild (but I believe Big Changes are Needed), but the current team is not making the playoffs. Our d is bad, but we can't score goals to save our lives.

The sad thing is that our Forwards are the best part of the team. Our D are in the bottom 3 in the entire NHL. Vegas will have a better D core than we have. It's disgusting to think about the amount of money we spend on our D. Then the goalies..without Mrazek we have the worst goalie tandem in the NHL.

Honestly, this upcoming season is gonna be bad. Hilarious how Holland is thinking playoffs. I'm thinking on paper we are almost the worst team in the entire NHL. We are right there with New Jersey, Colorado, Arizona as the worst rosters in the league. So sad what has happened with this franchise.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Holland is a GM which also has to consider the Financial status of the team. He works for the owner and his partial job is maximize the revenues for the owner, until owner asks othervise. Talking about playoffs as a target sells more season tickets. Period. More money for the owners.

Team could be total crap, but nothing prevents him talking like that. Season tickets are already sold, when the puck drops. New arena and everything.

If the team fails, you start selling the player assets like at last season and do long-term building. Nothing prevents him doing both at same time. He could sign again 1-year free agents and sell them away for draft picks.

How is this so damn tough to understand?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Holland is a GM which also has to consider the Financial status of the team. He works for the owner and his partial job is maximize the revenues for the owner, until owner asks othervise. Talking about playoffs as a target sells more season tickets. Period. More money for the owners.

Team could be total crap, but nothing prevents him talking like that. Season tickets are already sold, when the puck drops. New arena and everything.

If the team fails, you start selling the player assets like at last season and do long-term building. Nothing prevents him doing both at same time. He could sign again 1-year free agents and sell them away for draft picks.

Honestly I think with our fan base it might have the opposite effect. Wings fans are generally well informed and want to be competitive. I don't live in Detroit but honestly there's no way I'd buy season tickets to watch us try to limp into the playoffs again even if I did. I'd do it to watch us go full youth movement and rebuild though. That gives us hope and excitement...our team last year was straight up boring and depressing. We played dead puck hockey to try to survive until OT and then win in the shootout. That's just disgraceful and personally I don't want to watch it. I think a lot of wings fans are knowledgeable enough to agree.

Concerning Foo I think he's a good player and I'd be happy to have him. I hope wherever he goes they play the Foo fighters every time he scores.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Honestly I think with our fan base it might have the opposite effect. Wings fans are generally well informed and want to be competitive. I don't live in Detroit but honestly there's no way I'd buy season tickets to watch us try to limp into the playoffs again even if I did. I'd do it to watch us go full youth movement and rebuild though. That gives us hope and excitement...our team last year was straight up boring and depressing. We played dead puck hockey to try to survive until OT and then win in the shootout. That's just disgraceful and personally I don't want to watch it. I think a lot of wings fans are knowledgeable enough to agree.

There are smart fans. Every team has them. The Red Wings hockey fan base is huge. But lots of them want just entertainment and hang around of hockey game with friends.

When my Finnish favourite was abysmal, I still went to games because my best friends are there. Even on dark times, it's the best place where I can go. No matter what how boring the team was, we were there. Now we are back in Dynasty days. 5-times in-a-row in Finals and strongest material also for becoming season (Tappara Tampere).

Same fan thing will happen anyways at Detroit. Fans are loyal and just like the athmosphere with 20 000 people and new environment. They will sell out it anyways if the team is half-decent (Holland talk about the playoffs). But informing in public that they are gonna rebuild and suck for years, that would scare some people away.

That's bad money business.

We can still go with a way that team is half-decent and if horrible seasons happens, then we draft high. But there no reason in planning to be bad. Especially now when the lottery format changed.

Era of tanking closed at 2016.

Last edited:

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
From http://mayorsmanor.com/2017/04/college-fa-spencer-foo-on-the-process-of-selecting-his-nhl-team/:

On what type of factors will be important when selecting an NHL team:

“Instead of wanting to jump in right away — obviously I do want to make an opening lineup and play right away as much as I can – but, I’m more of a long-term kind of thinker. I don’t want to go in and just have a cup of coffee in the NHL. I want to try and make a career out of it I’m going to do whatever I can to achieve that. I’m looking at opportunity right now, but I think the biggest thing for me is what’s going to be the biggest fit over the long-term for me. How am I going to develop on certain teams? What type of guys am I going to be playing with? Those are the biggest things for me; I want to treat it as a long-term thing. If I end up signing with a team and they don’t think I’m ready at the start of next year, then I’ll go pay my dues, as long as I’m trying to work towards a career and not just getting to a first game. So, I want to do what’s best for me long-term.”

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Wow, just, Wow!:shakehead How was that comment earned based on what I wrote????? Also, I am not one of these nasty anti Holland guys, as I have long thought, his hands are easily tied behind what the Illitch's want.

I also want to point out, that I even said in my post I am not hardcore rebuild, and yet you still jump down my throat. Sorry for whatever it is that I did to rile up such angst from you!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Looks like Spencer Foo will wait for next week until a decision...

...his brother Parker Foo is available at current 2017 NHL entry draft on the weekend.

I highly suspect that if you draft his brother, you can get them both.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

...his brother Parker Foo is available at current 2017 NHL entry draft on the weekend.

Yeah his brother plays with Makar. That thought crossed my mind as well. There are probably worse uses of a sixth or seventh rounder.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Is this guy any good or just another soft player that did well against inferior talent or what?

62 points in 38 games for Union College, tied for 2nd in points in the NCAA. They play in the same division as Harvard, Cornell, Clarkson, etc. in the ECAC.
For comparaison, he had more points than Vesey, Larkin and Hyman in their last seasons.

He's 6 feet, 185lbs. He feels like a middle sixer.

“He’s greasy,” Starman said. “He just does a lot of little things that are fun to watch. He’s got electric speed, hands, guts. He’s not afraid to try something difficult. He’s been good. He’s just fun to watch and he plays with an edge.”

“That consistency has been very important because it has allowed the younger players to see that through consistency breeds success,” Union coach Rick Bennett said. “Spencer is one of the hardest workers in practice each day. Hopefully, that resonates throughout the year and when he moves on. My hope is that my younger players emulate his work ethic and consistency.”- Joshua Seguin www.collegehockeynews.com

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

And we have pick 100 and he's ranked #103 on hockeyprospect :nod:

I'm really hoping I'm not getting my hopes up about Foo, but I gots a good feeling.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And we have pick 100 and he's ranked #103 on hockeyprospect :nod:

I'm really hoping I'm not getting my hopes up about Foo, but I gots a good feeling.

Just want to say, one brother was Wayne Gretzky, the other was Brent. Multiple brothers, both being good, isn't commonplace, so I wouldn't be too excited about Parker.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
We are right there with New Jersey, Colorado, Arizona as the worst rosters in the league. So sad what has happened with this franchise.

So we are finally down at the level of franchises that we shared a peak with? Did people think we weren't ever going through a period of being bad?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I can't get too excited about the prospect of landing him. I'm sensing a Bobby Butler-esque scenario playing out.

I second this.
Great year last season, but prior to the age of 22, Foo hadn't shown much promise professionally.

If we get him fine, but wouldn't be upset if he goes somewhere else.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Craig Custance‏Verified account @CraigCustance 8m8 minutes ago
More
The Spencer Foo camp getting together on Monday to weigh his options. Red Wings and Flames very much in it. Decision likely Mon or Tue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad