Speculation: Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Trading Chytil for a Center works
Trading Kravtsov for a Center works because it would move Chytil to RW.

We need a long term 2c. I'm confident in Barron and Goodrow to lock down the 3rd line.

all this is moot if Chytil tears it up
Def agree

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
How are the Rangers affording Eichel and extending Zib? What salary is there to offset $10MM cap hit while paying Zib and Fox? Even if the Sabres retained some, it's hard to fathom it working out.

Trouba and Kreider have movement protection. Strome is off the books after this season already and his cap space will be allocated to the Zib extension or new Fox contract . Not trading Panarin.
Trade Strome & Georgiev, pay a premium to unload Kreider. You can trade Kreider if you really want... it'd cost a lot but that capspace would be immense for us.

You could also move Nemeth.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Lafreniere Zibs Kreider
Panarin _____ Kakko
Goodrow Barron Chytil/Kravtsov

Fill in the _____.

Larkin? Barkov? Hertl? still think Dvorak would have been a great fit... missed opportunity
Me and you agree on this. I expect him to have a very good year in Montreal thru the system they deploy and with actual talent on his wings. He’ll have at least 1 of Anderson/Gallagher on his flank.
He might even get some PP time there.
His contact/age would have been a perfect fit with room to improve here as well. He’s also a very traceable asset if we would have chose to move him in 2 or so years if chytil pushed him to full time 3rd line duty or the brass wanted to go after a different center in the future. Young 2-way responsible centers under 30 with that low of a cap hit will always be in demand.

Reactions: duhmetreE

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
maybe years of quantitative easing and zero interest rate policy combined with supply shocks from covid supply chain bottlenecks will finally trigger high inflation causing hockey-related revenue to skyrocket as ticket sales and concessions prices fly higher and lead to higher salary cap so we can afford all of our players

fyi: i'm being sarcastic not going full bern

Elliotte Friedman did say teams/agents believe the players will have paid off their escrow debt to the owners in 3 seasons. Latest episode of the 32 Thoughts podcast. Pettersson signed a 3 year contract believing the cap will increase at the end of his contract. Petty can sign a rich long-term contract in VAN assuming he wants to stay there when the cap will be substantially higher.

Reactions: egelband

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Honestly, at this point, who cares about Eichel? Lets roll with what we've got and see what the young guys have in them.
I wish we gave Chytil some 2nd line and PP minutes. Problem is Strome is performing really well. But at the same time, give Filip some PP time to see how he does.

Who knows, he might replace Strome with ease and Chytil (unless he's packaged in a trade) got a bigger, more long-term future with us compared to Strome.

Reactions: Atax

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
2. On Eichel: there is a real push to find a solution, because Eichel’s displaced disc can’t be allowed to just sit on the nerve. He is going to need a procedure sooner rather than later. What’s helped is he’s getting his own MRIs, so he and his representatives can share proper information. That’s a big deal. More difficult to answer is whether or not he is traded first or gets surgery, returns to health and plays games for the Sabres to regain his trade value. No one will go on record, but there is a growing belief there are teams willing to accept Eichel's preferred disc replacement. However, you have to be able to make the trade first. There’s definitely a push to get him healthy — which should be the number-one priority.

That salary-cap prediction also played a role in Ellias Pettersson’s negotiations. Commissioner Bettman was optimistic about the financial picture during his Marek interview. Some estimates are the league hopes to be within three or four per cent of revenues pre-COVID. That assumes, of course, the virus doesn’t wreak havoc this season. There is some room to manoeuvre, but the cap is scheduled to go up $1M per year until the players repay what they owe the owners. Most predications are for the summer of 2025, when we could see a big jump.

21-22
22-23
23-24

How does the cap increase help Pettersson? In the podcast, Elliotte made it sound like the summer of 2024 would be year when the cap will jump substantially. In the summer of 2024 when the player is a free agent again, the cap be $84.5M. $1M annual increases.

Making the trade with Buffalo isn't an easy process.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I heard a podcast during last season. I think it was Pierre Lebrun's and Scott Burnside's podcast. Pierre said Buffalo had good offers for Eichel in the 2020 offseason and they were waiting for a better offer. Eichel got hurt. That ruined their plans. Buffalo wants 4 assets equivalent of 4 first round picks for Eichel. Everyone knows that. Some people say they want more than four. How bad does Adams look accepting less than that? Buffalo may not get an offer better than they turned down 12 months ago. That will be tough for Adams to accept. Eichel needs neck surgery. He will miss several months of this season. Those offers last October were for 6 years remaining on Eichel's contract. Nobody knows how many games Eichel will play this season or how effective Eichel will be playing when he returns. The guy will miss training camp and the several months of this season. We have seen players return from off-season surgery and they end up returning in November. They struggled at times during the season. At breakup day, we hear the player missed all of training camp and the first couple of months in the regular season. It was a tough year for him but he will be better next season. Eichel will be joining a new team which is another adjustment for him. The 2021-22 season will be a lost season for him. The team is getting Eichel for basically four seasons and they will be hoping the disc in Eichel's neck doesn't pop out every time he takes a small or big hit.
It’s a tough call. On the surface it’s easy to say patience is a virtue. Look how well patience paid off for Sakic by not panic trading Duchene when he wanted out of Colorado.

I don’t see it in this situation. I see a green GM making suspect decisions based off of a mandate from meddling owners.

If he weren’t so brazen about it in his press conferences I think people would feel a lot worse for the Sabres than they actually do. The way he plays it in public makes people sympathize with Eichel even more.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The NHL’s top 10 regression candidates for 2021-22

Sammy Blais made the cut. Lol

Sammy Blais, LW/RW, New York Rangers
Strapped for cap space, the New York Rangers were forced to trade Pavel Buchnevich for cents on the dollar. The centrepiece of the return was Blues power forward Sammy Blais. Blais is well regarded in many industry circles due to his robust physical attributes and ability to drive the net. He can be an effective player for the Rangers but he scored at an 18-goal, 34 points-per-82 games pace last season which seems tough to replicate.

Right off the bat, one of the biggest potential differences is role and linemate quality.
In St. Louis, Blais didn’t play a ton of minutes but he had spurts where he was able to move up the lineup to get looks with the likes of Ryan O’Reilly, Brayden Schenn and Robert Thomas. Blais, in fact, scored half his goals when he shared the ice with O’Reilly. Those kinds of opportunities may not be available in New York where the Rangers boast a deep top-nine.

So far, he’s gotten a look next to Kevin Rooney and Ryan Reaves — a pretty significant downgrade in terms of offensive help.

In addition to that, Blais also benefitted from a sky-high 25.8 percent shooting clip which is nearly double his career average. Blais has promise and should add some jam to the Rangers’ lineup, but it’s unlikely he’ll produce at the kind of middle-six rate he managed last season.
The NHL’s top 10 regression candidates for 2021-22

Reactions: EdJovanovski

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I've always said this, could the Rangers get a pick hungry team like Arizona or Seattle to cover some of the cap hit cost in a three way trade much like Tampa did? Long term sure would mean larger value but I wouldn't mind it. We have 2 2nds this year. Arizona gets one and a 3rd in 2023 to take 2 million of the cap hit. Would give Arizona a staggering 6 picks in the second round next season.
I like this idea if it came down to the Rangers resurfaced and wanted to facilitate a trade. Get BUF to retain $2 million and get Arizona to retain $2 million. Throw picks at Arizona and a Prospect.

But for me, the price has to come down a good deal. Jones, Gauthier, Strome, 1st, 2nd. Then 2nd and 3rd to Arizona. Won’t get it done but thats where the price would have to be.

I am in the Larkin camp, with a foot in the Hertl camp. If Boston falls on its face I go after Bergeron.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Elliotte Friedman did say teams/agents believe the players will have paid off their escrow debt to the owners in 3 seasons. Latest episode of the 32 Thoughts podcast. Pettersson signed a 3 year contract believing the cap will increase at the end of his contract. Petty can sign a rich long-term contract in VAN assuming he wants to stay there when the cap will be substantially higher.

I knew it would be 3 years. They say 5 and finished paying off ahead of schedule and then that talking head Bettman can say, look at how well we’ve bounced back everyone... blah blah blah

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I heard a podcast during last season. I think it was Pierre Lebrun's and Scott Burnside's podcast. Pierre said Buffalo had good offers for Eichel in the 2020 offseason and they were waiting for a better offer. Eichel got hurt. That ruined their plans. Buffalo wants 4 assets equivalent of 4 first round picks for Eichel. Everyone knows that. Some people say they want more than four. How bad does Adams look accepting less than that? Buffalo may not get an offer better than they turned down 12 months ago. That will be tough for Adams to accept. Eichel needs neck surgery. He will miss several months of this season. Those offers last October were for 6 years remaining on Eichel's contract. Nobody knows how many games Eichel will play this season or how effective Eichel will be playing when he returns. The guy will miss training camp and the several months of this season. We have seen players return from off-season surgery and they end up returning in November. They struggled at times during the season. At breakup day, we hear the player missed all of training camp and the first couple of months in the regular season. It was a tough year for him but he will be better next season. Eichel will be joining a new team which is another adjustment for him. The 2021-22 season will be a lost season for him. The team is getting Eichel for basically four seasons and they will be hoping the disc in Eichel's neck doesn't pop out every time he takes a small or big hit.

Forget the disc popping out - One doctor said with the surgery he wants its possible he could be paralyzed if he is hit the wrong way.

Thats some scary shit, regardless of any risk assumed in the deal

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The 2021-22 season will be a lost season for him. The team is getting Eichel for basically four seasons and they will be hoping the disc in Eichel's neck doesn't pop out every time he takes a small or big hit.
Also hoping his eyeballs don't fall out or his fingers don't disintegrate.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Trade Strome & Georgiev, pay a premium to unload Kreider. You can trade Kreider if you really want... it'd cost a lot but that capspace would be immense for us.

Can't trade Kreider for at least 2 more seasons I think with his NMC.

But I definitely prefer trading Strome and Georgiev over Chytil or Kravtsov. But this is Strome's last contract year. Not sure what we would legitimately get for him. Maybe if we are clear out of the playoffs before the trade deadline he could go to a contender. But I think it's highly likely we do not re-sign both Strome and Zibby to new contracts. The most likely scenario is re-signing one of them and then Chytil moving up to 2C next year.

Plus, if we are trading for a center, there is no need to trade any of Strome, Krav, Chytil or even Georgiev. We have way too many young D prospects, most of whom would get a high return.

Send like Miller and Bedard or something and I think we would bring back a nice young center prospect.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Attaching things to Kreider isn't going to move him if he doesn't want to be moved. He holds that card. The Rangers aren't trading Nemeth a couple of months after they just signed him to a 3 year deal.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
"Keep LAF and Kakko off the PP1 unit for one more season. Will keep their production and AAV down on that 2nd contract". Anyone NOT think that this has been discussed by top brass?
So you think its remotely reasonable for the Rangers to try to hinder the development of their 2 potential franchise players to save money on the salary cap? I'm not sure if I can even come up with a crazier idea if I tried.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Can't trade Kreider for at least 2 more seasons I think with his NMC.

But I definitely prefer trading Strome and Georgiev over Chytil or Kravtsov. But this is Strome's last contract year. Not sure what we would legitimately get for him. Maybe if we are clear out of the playoffs before the trade deadline he could go to a contender. But I think it's highly likely we do not re-sign both Strome and Zibby to new contracts. The most likely scenario is re-signing one of them and then Chytil moving up to 2C next year.

Plus, if we are trading for a center, there is no need to trade any of Strome, Krav, Chytil or even Georgiev. We have way too many young D prospects, most of whom would get a high return.

Send like Miller and Bedard or something and I think we would bring back a nice young center prospect.
I think you can trade Kreider. You just gotta find a decent team that'll promise him top 6 minutes.

Hornqvist waived for Florida, he said in swedish newspapers that he rather be somewhere were he's valued.

Reactions: brakeyawself

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Attaching things to Kreider isn't going to move him if he doesn't want to be moved. He holds that card. The Rangers aren't trading Nemeth a couple of months after they just signed him to a 3 year deal.
Kreider can be moved, just like Hornqvist waived his NNC/NTC. Stating "I'd rather be somewhere I'm valued at the end of the day". If we'd found a decent team and basically told Kreider we're not gonna give him top 6 and PP minutes due to us giving our youngsters the ice-time, I'd think he'd waive (depending on the team).

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Kreider can be moved, just like Hornqvist waived his NNC/NTC. Stating "I'd rather be somewhere I'm valued at the end of the day". If we'd found a decent team and basically told Kreider we're not gonna give him top 6 and PP minutes due to us giving our youngsters the ice-time, I'd think he'd waive (depending on the team).
He's getting top 6 minutes here and there is zero indication that he doesn't feel valued. He's already on PP1 here. It's fantasy land thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad