Rumor: SOURCE: San Jose Has Interesting Plan for AHL West Move

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
SOURCE: San Jose Has Interesting Plan for AHL West Move

Following up on the “AHL Coming West†story John Hoven has been tracking here on MayorsManor over the past year, we have some fresh news to pass along, all the way from the East Coast. According to a very reliable source close to the situation, expect the San Jose Sharks to announce their piece of the puzzle shortly, with their AHL team moving from Worcester, Mass., to San Jose of all places.

Last edited by a moderator:

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
This would be nice, I know the turnout for games would be very positive. The Sharks hockey fan base throughout the entire bay area is really very strong. I don't see much of a down side to having the junior club at home.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Would you like to wager on that?

From Ballou, posted on the T&G website very early Thursday morning dated 12/18
http://t.co/2ImiU026ea

From Mayors Manor, dated 12/19
http://t.co/zhgmJxAaby

Seeing as I know who Ballou got that information from, I know who knew that information before Ballou wrote it, and know those people wouldn't give Mayors Manor the time of day in a Timex factory, the only possibility is it was lifted from Ballou's article.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Would you like to wager on that?

From Ballou, posted on the T&G website very early Thursday morning dated 12/18
http://t.co/2ImiU026ea

From Mayors Manor, dated 12/19
http://t.co/zhgmJxAaby

Seeing as I know who Ballou got that information from, I know who knew that information before Ballou wrote it, and know those people wouldn't give Mayors Manor the time of day in a Timex factory, the only possibility is it was lifted from Ballou's article.

Well he may have had it first, but you're still wrong.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
So... would they also be called the San Jose Sharks? :sarcasm:

San Jose Seals!!!!

Seriously though, it would be so easy to brand and market that name.

And that would be cool to have them play at Sharks Ice, just not at the expense of us adult leaguers getting more 11:30pm starts.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Does anyone believe San Jose or the Bay area could support an AHL team??

It's worked with the San Jose Giants, so it could work. I think the only way a hockey team would work is if they were affiliated with a local team (and they are in this case).

Sad to see the Woo might not have a team. Great hockey town, shouldn't be vacated for long.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Does anyone believe San Jose or the Bay area could support an AHL team??

The article states that it might be year only thing.. play "main" games at home and trial games around California. Maybe a temp stop till the new arena is Sacramento opens ?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
It's worked with the San Jose Giants, so it could work. I think the only way a hockey team would work is if they were affiliated with a local team (and they are in this case).

Sad to see the Woo might not have a team. Great hockey town, shouldn't be vacated for long.

I'm interested to see any research that says it would work, or not, what parameters would be,etc. Would it effect sharks tickets, Oakland, SF, or other locations, etc. I do feel bad for the Woo and their fans also if this happens, i'm sure they would get another team pretty quick also.

The article states that it might be year only thing.. play "main" games at home and trial games around California. Maybe a temp stop till the new arena is Sacramento opens ?

I saw that also. I like the temp stop idea, not sure if it will make enough fan attendance for the team, etc.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Would have thought it would be beneficial for fanbase building to relocate a little bit further from San Jose, such as Sacramento, Reno, or Portland.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Sacramento's new arena will be ready in the Fall of 2016, expect them to play in SJ for a year and then move there if it's right. There's an ice center with 2 NHL size rinks in the upscale suburb of Roseville too. Stockton could also work if something happens to the Thunder, but Sac is such a better place to visit than Stockton.

Speed

Jan 7, 2004
Holden, MA
www.sharksboosters.com
Sacramento's new arena will be ready in the Fall of 2016, expect them to play in SJ for a year and then move there if it's right. There's an ice center with 2 NHL size rinks in the upscale suburb of Roseville too. Stockton could also work if something happens to the Thunder, but Sac is such a better place to visit than Stockton.

I agree, I think Scaramento is the long term goal. I also think Sharks were willing to stay in Worcester for another year, but if others are ready, they are willing to make it work in SAP for a year. Looks like others are (or will be) ready. Sharks have been pretty up front with Worcester - so there's pretty much no animosity towards the move. On ice product yes, but move - no LOL

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
They should have the Thunder move and put the ahl team in Stockton.

Current rumors have the Flames buying the Thunder, and it's emerged that their AHL team in Adirondack is effectively on a year-to-year lease, so Stockton is looking more like a landing point for the Baby Flames (if all these rumors are to be believed).

Personally, I think the new Warriors' arena, once it's built, might not be a bad place to put the Baby Sharks -- AHL/NBA partnerships aren't that uncommon these days (San Antonio, Lake Erie, Milwaukee). If not there, with the right local management, I think Fresno (the old arena downtown, not the Fresno State arena) could work, despite how that market got tainted by how the ECHL team was mismanaged the final few years. Fresno/Bakersfield was always a rivalry in the WCHL, and Bakersfield is being bandied about as a landing spot for the Oilers' AHL team next season.

There's several more shoes left to drop/dominoes to fall in this story, it seems to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad