Sound Tigers could be on the move as AHL experiences upheaval

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Interesting article. Personally I think Bridgeport is the biggest exaggerator as far as announced attendance goes in the league. They've been rumored to move several times, 2006 to Adirondack, then 2010 to Albany. There were some talks in each case. They'd be best off putting an FHL team in and getting the Danbury fans to travel down to road games. That's how bad it is there in actual attendance.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
It'll take at least two years to renovate the Coliseum, and you can stash this with the rumors that the Isles might not last long in Brooklyn. The way things are moving right now, it's way too early to make this a hot issue.

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015
Tigers to Nassau
Wolfpack to Bridgeport.
The NHL whalers returns to Hartford.

This will take 2-3yrs.

renovated Nassau for Long Island Sound Tigers will be ready.
Wolf pack will be done with lease in hfd. Will draw way better in bport.

New arena in hfd will attract nhl whalers to return. UCONN will be major tenant until NHL comes or a AHL neutral affiliate like Columbus comes until NHL shows up.

It's already in the works. Calling it now.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Tigers to Nassau
Wolfpack to Bridgeport.
The NHL whalers returns to Hartford.

This will take 2-3yrs.

renovated Nassau for Long Island Sound Tigers will be ready.
Wolf pack will be done with lease in hfd. Will draw way better in bport.

New arena in hfd will attract nhl whalers to return. UCONN will be major tenant until NHL comes or a AHL neutral affiliate like Columbus comes until NHL shows up.

It's already in the works. Calling it now.

I'll call it now as well, but I am probably calling it something different than you are calling it!!!!!

NHL returning to Hartford will not happen in our lifetime.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Enough with the Hartford Pipedream. Won't happen and shouldn't.

I heard the Islanders want to move back to the Coliseum after renovations.

Bport should go ECHL. I wish Danbury could. They deserve better than FHL.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I'll call it now as well, but I am probably calling it something different than you are calling it!!!!!

I would love to see it but I don't think it will happen either in 3 lifetimes.

Way too many roadblocks. QC, Seattle at the very least would come first.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78

Always scares me a little when we agree on anything, but this is a pretty safe bet.

I heard the Islanders want to move back to the Coliseum after renovations. .

I was under the impression that they were going to make the Coliseum a smaller venue in the new incarnation; more suitable to the AHL than an NHL return.

Ugh. Why is everyone so obsessed with the overrated city of Seattle? Whether it be this or basketball. That dumb league like every other needs contraction really.

1) Seattle's a beautiful city, IMO. 2) There's no money in contraction. There is a ton of money in expansion. Which way do you think they'll go? :D

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015
They want to turn the p-lots around nvmc into a "patriot place" kind of deal. Shops/restaurants/bars. A destination , not just an arena. They're going to tie in all the shopping malls around it now.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Always scares me a little when we agree on anything, but this is a pretty safe bet.

I was under the impression that they were going to make the Coliseum a smaller venue in the new incarnation; more suitable to the AHL than an NHL return.

1) Seattle's a beautiful city, IMO. 2) There's no money in contraction. There is a ton of money in expansion. Which way do you think they'll go? :D

Seattle is like a Milwaukee so to speak. Its not a major market by any stretch. They should be happy having 2 teams. Its definitely not a 4 sports city and 3 is probably a stretch these days. Though the Mariners didn't always get support.

Contraction makes for better products. There's too many teams and not enough talent for all. Its why you have some horrendous teams every sports season.

Andre Poodle Lussier

Apr 1, 2012
Semi seclusion
Seattle is like a Milwaukee so to speak. Its not a major market by any stretch. They should be happy having 2 teams. Its definitely not a 4 sports city and 3 is probably a stretch these days. Though the Mariners didn't always get support.

Contraction makes for better products. There's too many teams and not enough talent for all. Its why you have some horrendous teams every sports season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Seattle is 13th in size of metropolitan area, larger than Minneapolis and Denver (both towns with teams in the "big four").

It certainly is not a small market like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and other Rust Belt towns that house towns.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Ugh. Why is everyone so obsessed with the overrated city of Seattle? Whether it be this or basketball. That dumb league like every other needs contraction really.

I'm saying the NHL would be enthused about Seattle for many reasons...Northwest, another western team, big market, new market, Vancouver rivalry

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Maybe it is but one way or another all this gospel is business. Don't see the need to separate business from stuff since well trades and innuendo and all that are well...business.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

The NFL still considers Milwaukee as a home for the Packers, so Milwaukee technically has 3 major sports teams, football, baseball and basketball to go along with the AHL Admirals.

Milwaukee is the #31 US city by population with 600K. The amazing thing is that the population is now growing after 50 years of shrinking from 741K.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Seattle is 13th in size of metropolitan area, larger than Minneapolis and Denver (both towns with teams in the "big four").

It certainly is not a small market like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and other Rust Belt towns that house towns.

Seattle is 21st in US city population with 652K, up from 609K in 2010.
The highest number that I can find for Seattle is 14th for urban area with 3.06M and 15th for metro area with 3.61M. I believe that the numbers are from 2013.

Only Cincinnati has 2 major league sports teams, the other two have three each.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Maybe it is but one way or another all this gospel is business. Don't see the need to separate business from stuff since well trades and innuendo and all that are well...business.

My point is that Seattle has NOTHING to do with AHL moves for next season, which was the point of this thread. Just desperately trying to help drag things back on topic, that's all :)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Seattle is 21st in US city population with 652K, up from 609K in 2010.
The highest number that I can find for Seattle is 14th for urban area with 3.06M and 15th for metro area with 3.61M. I believe that the numbers are from 2013.

Only Cincinnati has 2 major league sports teams, the other two have three each.

Its hard to count football and baseball from a market standpoint. Every team in both leagues make money so having a team isn't exactly hard work with the TV contracts. Luckily when it comes to Football Cleveland and Pittsburgh are pretty passionate. I'm amazed the Cavs and Penguins haven't gone under though. They've both been close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad