Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
If Mitch or Willie took the hit Pasta took from Edmundson last night they would have disappeared for a month. Pasta got up, battled and won the game. That folks is a player.
lmao youre seriously lumping in Nylander the guy who scored all 3 of our last goals (winning a game by himself) and actually fighting for pucks and playing hard with Marner.

You've honestly lost the plot. I saw Nylander nail wotherspoon and watching the game he took a bunch of punishment he just kept going. Marner shied away from contact. this is an unserious post.

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Say what you want about Simmons, but this aged like a fine wine, predictable as it was.

Attachments

• GL4YEAcXUAADCe7.jpg
    GL4YEAcXUAADCe7.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
The people talking about Marner's style not being effective in the playoffs are accurate.

Willy and Matthews are North/South. They want to go to the net and are always trying to get into the inside on puck battles and open ice plays. They work for their space. Marner doesn't. His style is about space and openness and the playoffs you have less of it. So he becomes REALLY perimeter orientated.

You can question Matthews and Willy in terms of mental makeup and if they can win in the playoffs. But stylistically, I would much rather try it with them than Marner. Plus Matthews and Willy are clearly tougher and more physical than Mitch.

I can't think of a single player who plays like Mitch who won. Comparing him to Kane are off-base. Willy is much closer to Kane stylistically than Marner is.

I can't think of a player who plays like Mitch who won anything.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
lmao youre seriously lumping in Nylander the guy who scored all 3 of our last goals (winning a game by himself) and actually fighting for pucks and playing hard with Marner.

You've honestly lost the plot. I saw Nylander nail wotherspoon and watching the game he took a bunch of punishment he just kept going. Marner shied away from contact. this is an unserious post.
Nylander has come a long way. He is not Marner soft but he still avoids contact. He disappeared after the hit by Eyssimont.

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I don't read the Sun anymore and Simmons is something of a d-bag but what can you say, sometimes he's right on the money.
To be fair, literally everyone could see this and has seen it for years already. It's not like Simmons is some enlightened hockey analyst. You just have to have eyes. Which everyone in this city has, except for the ones running this team, apparently.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
When people argue about giving up on the skill of MM if they trade him...they don't really realize that its like the old joke about potential:

Young boy is at dinner with his mom and dad along with his sister. He asks the dad what the difference between potential and reality is. The father then asks his wife and daughter if they would sleep with any guy for $10M. They say they would. The father then turns to his son and says "You see son, we are potentially sitting on $10M here...but the reality is we are living with a couple of whores"
An oldie but a goodie.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
So marner was playing injured.

Wait for it.

I don't think he was fully healthy, but I'm not sure Nylander was, either, and he scored three goals in four games and was the only one who could score at the end of the series.

Marner has a history of struggling to produce late in series. He seems to be regressing skill-wise in general, He's not big or strong; as his speed decreases, he'll become less effective physically.

If I still had faith in his ability to be a game-breaker and true difference-maker in the playoffs, I wouldn't have any issue with having him back. During the series, I never once said I don't like him or I want him off the team. I did say they needed him to step up and he couldn't do it. I have no reason to believe he will next year, either. It is time for a change.

Honestly, I think with shrewd re-tooling, TOR can become the team to beat in the Atlantic other than FLA. They've beaten TB. I think they can beat BOS. As of now, they're ahead of DET, BUF, OTT, MTL. There isn't really a good reason for them to not play FLA in round two and have some semblance of a shot at making it to round three next year.

Reactions: saffronleaf

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I need someone to please play devil’s advocate for minute. What is Marner’s camp’s case for a raise? Obviously they will present one. What is it?

Contribution to Matthews 69 goal season
Kills PP
Consistently been point per game player last 8 years
Has one season where he was -1, otherwise his numbers 5 on 5 are great
Despite of playoff success, he still has 50 points in 57 playoff games
Home grown kid

Reactions: arso40 and ULF_55

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I need someone to please play devil’s advocate for minute. What is Marner’s camp’s case for a raise? Obviously they will present one. What is it?
I suppose his 100 point regular season pace? And I've been told here many times by his fanboys that the playoffs are "a crap shoot" so they'll say that his AWOL playoff act is nothing more than a "fluctuation" due to "small sample size".

He's outscored Matthews over the years, so he deserves more money than Matthews. But because he's committed to winning, he'll take a team discount of 12.93 million. ;);)

Reactions: arso40

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I suppose doesn't all of that equate to about a 10.9 million dollar salary/cap hit? I'm not seeing much that would build a case for more.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Absolutely no extension should be offered. Provide a list of teams you'd waive for and then add Utah to it. Stop crying bro it's not junior hockey. The guy constantly has the puppy dog eyes when things get tough. Should've drafted Hanifin

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I also don't understand why after all of this time he is still built like a boy, and not a man. You don't need to even have muscle or be "thick" to look like you've filled out as a man. You can still be a skinny man. But he's still built like a boy. It's weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad