Not open for further replies.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
In the Past Week, Kyle pulled two away from college that's impressive

I think big things are coming....

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I HATE the Gritz trade!!! I thought this kid was growing into another Katchouk!!! He has a ton of upside....and for what? A 3rd rounder 6 years from now!???

Don't tell me he didn't want to play here....because this is a very good team and they haven't even made moves for another OA or maybe even trade a goalie to shore up a weak spot.

Plus he couldn't have used the "I'm going to play college" because he's already played here for a year and lost his chance to play NCAA.

I'm totally shocked by this trade. I understand we've had some NCAA kids recently commit to us and we have an excess of forwards, but the return just doesn't justify it in my book.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I HATE the Gritz trade!!! I thought this kid was growing into another Katchouk!!! He has a ton of upside....and for what? A 3rd rounder 6 years from now!???

Don't tell me he didn't want to play here....because this is a very good team and they haven't even made moves for another OA or maybe even trade a goalie to shore up a weak spot.

Plus he couldn't have used the "I'm going to play college" because he's already played here for a year and lost his chance to play NCAA.

I'm totally shocked by this trade. I understand we've had some NCAA kids recently commit to us and we have an excess of forwards, but the return just doesn't justify it in my book.

I'm not a fan of the trade either, but he didn't look like a future top 6 forward or 30 goal scorer to me.

Also, he was traded to his home state. That gives me a pretty good idea of why the trade was made

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Gritz wanted out. He knew he wasn't going to get the ice time again this year in his draft year with Katchouk, Kopacka and Gettinger all on the LW taking away any significant opportunity. Howdeshell is also listed as a LW.

While it's never ideal to trade a 17 year old for draft picks I don't think burying him on the 4th line playing limited minutes was ideal either. Raftis said he would have preferred to keep him but Gritz asked to be moved so he found a team that just happens to be close to his family. Sometimes you have to do what's right for the player and not for the team.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Gritz wanted out. He knew he wasn't going to get the ice time again this year in his draft year with Katchouk, Kopacka and Gettinger all on the LW taking away any significant opportunity. Howdeshell is also listed as a LW.

While it's never ideal to trade a 17 year old for draft picks I don't think burying him on the 4th line playing limited minutes was ideal either. Raftis said he would have preferred to keep him but Gritz asked to be moved so he found a team that just happens to be close to his family. Sometimes you have to do what's right for the player and not for the team.

Is Raftis discussed with Rasmus Kupari?.
Some OHL follower (I don't remember who ) said on the previous page Kupari is reporting to Greyhounds.
But some reason neither of Soo Greyhounds and Oulun Karpat hasn't confirmed that yet so what's the official truth.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo

I still would have waited it out. All 3 of the players you mentioned in front of him will be conceivably done after this season so he could have slotted in nicely for 2 more seasons.

Howdeshell will be 20 in February so it's his one and only season here. I totally understand not holding the kid hostage and the fact that Erie currently doesn't have alot of picks, the result of going for it the past few seasons but i think i'd feel better about it if the deal was made with maybe the rights to Owen Headrick as a possible OA for this season as well? Just a thought.

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Is Raftis discussed with Rasmus Kupari?.
Some OHL follower (I don't remember who ) said on the previous page Kupari is reporting to Greyhounds.
But some reason neither of Soo Greyhounds and Oulun Karpat hasn't confirmed that yet so what's the official truth.

It's been quiet on both the Hounds import picks. Last thing that was reported was that Raftis was confident one would be reporting but wouldn't say which. There was also an article just over a week ago saying Raftis was close to having an agreement with Rasmus Kupari but he wouldn't confirm it.

Training camp starts on the 29th so if either is coming hopefully they will announce it soon.

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I still would have waited it out. All 3 of the players you mentioned in front of him will be conceivably done after this season so he could have slotted in nicely for 2 more seasons.

Howdeshell will be 20 in February so it's his one and only season here. I totally understand not holding the kid hostage and the fact that Erie currently doesn't have alot of picks, the result of going for it the past few seasons but i think i'd feel better about it if the deal was made with maybe the rights to Owen Headrick as a possible OA for this season as well? Just a thought.

True. His opportunity would have come next season but it appears he wasn't willing to wait for it. Can't really blame him, he only got into 37 games last year and it didn't look like he was going to get a lot of minutes again this year. Being his draft year he wanted to go somewhere where he was going to have a chance to play. His "no comment" when asked if he enjoyed his time here kind of says that he wasn't too happy.

Whether Raftis could have got more for him, who knows. He may have taken a lesser deal to get him closer to home or he took the best deal he could get for a player that asked for a trade.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
True. His opportunity would have come next season but it appears he wasn't willing to wait for it. Can't really blame him, he only got into 37 games last year and it didn't look like he was going to get a lot of minutes again this year. Being his draft year he wanted to go somewhere where he was going to have a chance to play. His "no comment" when asked if he enjoyed his time here kind of says that he wasn't too happy.

Whether Raftis could have got more for him, who knows. He may have taken a lesser deal to get him closer to home or he took the best deal he could get for a player that asked for a trade.

OK.
Right now Kupari is playing with team Finland U20 team in 4 nations tournament in Lahti.
If he really comes to greyhounds i think the official confirmation will come during next week.

But how much it hurts Greyhounds team if / when Kupari decides to stay in Finland.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

I think the Soo would have to add in that scenario, I think Headrick is worth a little more than a 3rd and a 10th. He's easily a top 4 dman this season, maybe top pairing. Right shot dmen with that level of mobility and skill are hard to come by, even as an OA.

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
OK.
Right now Kupari is playing with team Finland U20 team in 4 nations tournament in Lahti.
If he really comes to greyhounds i think the official confirmation will come during next week.

But how much it hurts Greyhounds team if / when Kupari decides to stay in Finland.

Hard to say. He would slot in nicely in the top 9 as the Hounds are a bit thin down the middle currently so adding him would be nice. However without him they will still have a pretty good amount of offense from the returning players and two recent signings. I think they are still a contender in their conference whether he comes or not but I hope he comes.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think the Soo would have to add in that scenario, I think Headrick is worth a little more than a 3rd and a 10th. He's easily a top 4 dman this season, maybe top pairing. Right shot dmen with that level of mobility and skill are hard to come by, even as an OA.

agreed. and the more i read on it the more im convinced this was a simple case of "im not happy"
ice time a big factor but also be so dang far from home, especially when not getting the ice time, probably just as big a factor.
he may have demanded a trade citing the far from home factor.
it helps Soo in the future to not hold kids hostage or screw them by say trading Grtiz to North Bay (still far as hell from home). You want players to know when they sign with you they will have success and be happy, enjoy their time. If for some reason they dont though they can help you find that better fit.

Headrick as an OA probably should scoop a 2nd and 3rd or 2 3rds and a mid level pick. something in that ballpark.
down the line i could see him being sent to Soo.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
agreed. and the more i read on it the more im convinced this was a simple case of "im not happy"
ice time a big factor but also be so dang far from home, especially when not getting the ice time, probably just as big a factor.
he may have demanded a trade citing the far from home factor.
it helps Soo in the future to not hold kids hostage or screw them by say trading Grtiz to North Bay (still far as hell from home). You want players to know when they sign with you they will have success and be happy, enjoy their time. If for some reason they dont though they can help you find that better fit.

Headrick as an OA probably should scoop a 2nd and 3rd or 2 3rds and a mid level pick. something in that ballpark.
down the line i could see him being sent to Soo.

It would make sense. Right now I believe the Soo only have 2 OAs in Verbeek and Caroll, with White and Bouramman graduating. Headrick is a local kid, would be a reasonably priced acquisition (a 2nd and 3rd like you said seems fair), and would load up the Soo's defense in a season where they are likely contenders.

PacoSanchez15

Aug 27, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Now Raaymakers has asked for a trade too. Not too surprising, with two capable goalies someone was not going to be happy splitting time. Guess Raaymakers figures that the guy who was drafted was going to get the crease so may as well try and get a chance somewhere else.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
Joe is on the go.. asked for a trade...hounfs will get a great return for him and settle in as a contender this year

Teams like :
Northbay
London
Hamilton
Guelph
Flint

one goalie, i would like to see is Brendan Bonello from Saginaw but they already have a number one goalie

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
LOL It's sounding like a revolving door here in the Soo with players coming out of the woodwork to play here and others wanting to go...it's giving the local media plenty to write about...and camp hasn't even started! :popcorn:

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Does anyone know of, or have a link to, training camp times.....i'm off with the kids this week and would love to stop into the Essar....soon to be named something else...to watch some scrimmages if possible.

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
Tranning Camp

Does anyone know of, or have a link to, training camp times.....i'm off with the kids this week and would love to stop into the Essar....soon to be named something else...to watch some scrimmages if possible.

Hounds Training Camp Schedule
TUESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2017
TIME EVENT
2:30 p.m. Team White Goalie Session
3:00 p.m. Team White Skills/Practice
4:00 p.m. Team Red Goalie Session
4:30 p.m. Team Red Skills/Practice
5:30 p.m. Team Black Goalie Session
6:00 p.m. Team Black Skills/Practice
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 30, 2017
TIME EVENT
9:30 a.m. Team Red Goalie Session
10:00 a.m Team Red Skills/ Practice
11:00 a.m. Team White vs. Team BlackGame
3:30 p.m. Team White Goalie Session
4:00 p.m Team White Skills/ Practice
5:00 p.m. Team Black vs. Team Red Game
THURSDAY, AUGUST 31, 2017
TIME EVENT
9:30 a.m. Team Black Goalie Session
10:00 a.m. Team Black Skills/Practice
11:00 a.m. Team White vs. Team Red Game
4:00 p.m. Team TBA Practice
7:30 p.m. Teams TBA Game
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2017
TIME EVENT
10:30 a.m. Team White Practice
11:30 a.m. Team Red Practice
7:07 p.m. Luke Williams Memorial Red/White Game

on another point is there any goalies you would want to see come back for joe ??

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Would be nice if they went after depietro out of Windsor but just wishful thinking:handclap:

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Going after Depietro would cost alot and we'd then be in the postion of having to trade BOTH are current goalies i'd imagine? Both Depietro and Villalta are 99 birth years so i'm sure Matthew wouldn't want to have to play behind him....at least Raaymakers is in his last year. Who's to say Villalta couldn't become even somewhat remotely as good as Depietro...without having to trade the farm to get Depietro?

Ahhh the season's about to start...the speculation season that is! LOL Everyone enjoy! :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad