Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
http://www.saultstar.com/2017/04/19/at-some-point-hounds-will-move-a-goalie----ruicci-column

So which goalie would you guys move, if any? What teams need a goalie and what would we target?

For me, it's Raaymakers for an 01 and draft picks. That extends our window to win a championship for at least the next 2 years and possibly more.

Keep Raaymakers until the deadline then trade him. Villata can win us games hes a keeper. If the hounds are smart we can have good teams for a few years to come

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Keep Raaymakers until the deadline then trade him. Villata can win us games hes a keeper. If the hounds are smart we can have good teams for a few years to come

I agree and i hope that Raaymakers can keep up his playoff play to make himself attractive to other teams.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

This sounds all well and good until one of them demands a trade in September and we end up with a couple of third round picks.

Will two starting calibre goalies be willing to coexist or should we maximize their value now?

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
I know a team that is losing the best goalie in the ohl. And has all the pieces to really go for it next year. All we are missing is mcnivens replacement.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The problem is that there just isn't a shortage of good OHL goalies. Over the past two seasons the biggest returns for a G are:
Keyser (17) for a 2nd;
Timpano (19) [1st '97 G chosen] 10, 3, 2;
Nedeljkovic (19) & Wesley (19) at deadline for Moran & 2,2,2,3,3 [assume Wesley worth 2,3,3].
Beyond that, Mancina and Nichols went for a 3rd.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I agree we won't get a "king's ransom" for Raaymakers but since we can't have 2 first string goalies it would be nice to get something to help out the lineup anywhere needed...or picks of any kind. It's a good dilemma as they say.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Otto Makinen has decided to leave the team next year, despite being offered a spot on the roster. Raftis should explore the trade market for imports, as having 2 rookies would not be ideal at all. Our second round pick will be way down there.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Otto Makinen has decided to leave the team next year, despite being offered a spot on the roster. Raftis should explore the trade market for imports, as having 2 rookies would not be ideal at all. Our second round pick will be way down there.

Is he leaving the OHL all together or just the hounds? Interesting player.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we are sad to hear about Dr. Lou and wish the best for his family. He'll be missed by Hounds fans.

smalt021

Oct 19, 2011
STL
Soo Greyhounds General Manager Kyle Raftis is pleased to announce this morning the commitment from 2017 draft pick HAYDEN FOWLER.
The Kingston, ON native was the Greyhounds’ 1st Round Pick (19th overall) in this past April’s OHL Priority Selection.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
I hope the Hounds can fill out their OA spots with some quality players...and use up all 3 spots this time. Also will be curious to see how we fill the 2 import spots as well...that's 5 players or almost a quarter of your team right there!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I hope the Hounds can fill out their OA spots with some quality players...and use up all 3 spots this time. Also will be curious to see how we fill the 2 import spots as well...that's 5 players or almost a quarter of your team right there!

It looks like Verbeek and Carroll right now, so there are at least 2 quality players. I'd love to get an import via trade instead of relying on a second round pick.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice

Seeing as we will be in good shape next year, and with Eire icing a much weakened team next year, thoughts on perhaps Owen Headrick coming here in a trade? Would make sense, and would give us a top D-man and fill out an OA spot.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
The season's officially over!!! The off-season is upon us.....bring on the start of the next year!!! J/K i seriously WANT a nice hot relaxing summer now!! Best to all and congrats to the Spits.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
2017-2018 Roster and Moves?

So it appears to me that the lineup the team has headin into next season would be something like;

Katchouk-Frost-Gettinger
Kopacka-Hayton-Verbeek
Gritz-Kupari-Martin
?-Fowler-?
'16 draft picks: Hayami (6th), Weir (7th), Jacklin (10th), Trott (14th)
'17 draft picks: Carroll (4th), Beecher (5th), Mackay (5th), Johnston (6th), Kartye (8th), Dreger (12th)

Carroll-Timmins
Sandin-Hollowell
Demeo-Leguerrier
'16: Wale (4th)
'17: Calisti (3rd), Seguin (11th), MacMahon (13th)

Raaymakers
Villalta
(Mamone ('16 16th), Taylor ('17 9th), Porter ('17 15th)

That would leave one spot open for an overager if the hounds wanted to go get one. The question here is where is the hole? Raftis could move either of the goaltenders (im assuming they'll both want to start and be a number 1) in a package for an older scorer or defenceman.
Personally I don't see Demeo or Martin staying on the team the whole season unless there was a MASSIVE improvement in their game over the course of the offseason/preseason but there were a half dozen kids that really shined bright in developement camp so I'm not worried.

Does Raftis get a defenceman? A forward? Leave it and trust the young kids? Anyone know of any other prospects that either committed to the US or if any former year's picks are looking at coming to the Sault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad