Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach7940

Dec 12, 2017
I'd say the Hounds are about 50/50 to break the streak. Even if you think they're 90% likely to win each of those games, that's still only a 53% chance of going 6-0. Even great teams lose once in a while, and especially at the junior level, I think the pressure is real.

The "beating weak teams" discussion is always an interesting one. I think it needs to be pointed out, but you need to consider margin of victory as well, and the Soo have serious scheduling considerations that need to be factored in, too. The simple fact, though, is that it's nearly impossible to put up a big streak against strong competition. Even a good team would need a crazy amount of luck to ring up a bunch of wins in a row against teams they're only 60-40 or even 70-30 favourites against.

Well, to the haters I say that the Hounds have only lost 3 games all year. I am not sure why people cannot just be supportive of teenagers stringing together 20 wins in a row and having, by far the most gruelling travel schedule. By the way, I live in Niagara and have travelled to watch them a few times. They are the real deal and deserve some respect.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Well, to the haters I say that the Hounds have only lost 3 games all year. I am not sure why people cannot just be supportive of teenagers stringing together 20 wins in a row and having, by far the most gruelling travel schedule. By the way, I live in Niagara and have travelled to watch them a few times. They are the real deal and deserve some respect.

I'm assuming you're... not referring to me when you talk about "haters" and a lack of "support" and "respect". Particularly when I pointed out their travel schedule myself. And repeatedly ranked them first in the league in my power rankings.

Did you mean to quote someone else?

Coach7940

Dec 12, 2017
I'm assuming you're... not referring to me when you talk about "haters" and a lack of "support" and "respect". Particularly when I pointed out their travel schedule myself. And repeatedly ranked them first in the league in my power rankings.

My apologies, I had read so many critical posts I misinterpreted what you had said.

Radar9

Hounds/London !
Aug 11, 2012
Hounds / London

ScoresFromCentre who do you cheer for what

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Re: The Winning Streak

Does anybody here remember the brawl in Sault Ste. Marie (10 players and three fans ejected, two broken noses, one wrestling match with a police officer) that is credited with starting the Kitchener Rangers’ 25-game winning streak in 1984? It is described in this article from 2013:

Rangers’ record born out of a brawl

EvenSteven says in his post above that with respect to the Greyhounds’ streak “… it must be pointed out that they’ve had a pretty easy go during the streak. All those games against Flint, North Bay, Sudbury?”

At the end of the newspaper article you will find a list of the teams the Rangers beat during their streak.

Interestingly the streak was built largely on having played a significant number of games against very weak teams.
In compiling their streak the Rangers recorded two wins against the North Bay Centennials (end of season record 22 wins, 43 losses, 5 ties), three wins against the Windsor Spitfires (22-46-2); four wins against the Guelph Platers (20-46-4); four wins against the Sudbury Wolves (19-50-1); and two wins against the Kingston Canadians (25-45-0). That’s a total of 15 wins against very weak teams. They also recorded a number of wins against sub .500 teams but I’ve just focused on those teams with real sad records.

It would seem then that the Greyhounds are doing what successful teams do – prey on the weak! We have every reason to be proud of what our boys are doing!

There's some outstanding research! You absolutely do have every reason to be proud!!!

I guess I got told!! Lol!! If anything, that Rangers team had at least as easy a schedule if not easier.

Allow me to retract my criticism.

I still think the last real chance anyone had of stopping this juggernaut from beating the 25 game record was vs the Rangers last Friday night.

That's not a shot, but rather a recognition of dominance.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Isn't it obvious who he cheers for Radar? :)
Ordered a pizza tonight and got talking to the pizza delivery driver about the hounds and he told me it is a done deal with Erie for Taylor Radysh they just can't announce it anybody here about this ?

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Ordered a pizza tonight and got talking to the pizza delivery driver about the hounds and he told me it is a done deal with Erie for Taylor Radysh they just can't announce it anybody here about this ?
He would not tell me who told him but it sounds like he knows what he is talking about he said he knows some local scouts

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
He would not tell me who told him but it sounds like he knows what he is talking about he said he knows some local scouts

Sounds like the rumors around here. It also makes a ton of sense. SSM a clear buyer. Though they would love to keep Fowler.. he doesn’t help them win a championship this year so he is an asset they are willing to move. OS is too cheap so their 2001 is probably not on the market. and if sarnia and the Petes seem unwilling .. Fowler is really the only legit option among 2001s. Erie doesn’t need or want a 2001 defender imo. So teams like Kitchener/Missy already don’t make sense to me. And Don’t see Erie being interested in Lucas Rowe from London.

Reactions: soo hound girl

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Gouin Street Arena is the predecessor to the Sault Memorial Gardens, Sault Ste. Marie's premier sports complex from 1949-2006. It was built in the early 1900s on Gouin Street between Queen and Bay Streets near East Street.
How do you know this

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Sounds like the rumors around here. It also makes a ton of sense. SSM a clear buyer. Though they would love to keep Fowler.. he doesn’t help them win a championship this year so he is an asset they are willing to move. OS is too cheap so their 2001 is probably not on the market. and if sarnia and the Petes seem unwilling .. Fowler is really the only legit option among 2001s. Erie doesn’t need or want a 2001 defender imo. So teams like Kitchener/Missy already don’t make sense to me. And Don’t see Erie being interested in Lucas Rowe from London.
And I believe Raddysh has a no trade clause. Where do you think he would prefer to go for the best chance to win an OIL title this year.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Radysh and Katchouk have been line mates in all exhibition games so far both are Tampa Bay picks only makes sense he will be here after world juniors with Frost as their centremen

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
We'll find out by January 10th, Gouin Street.

Gouin Street is where the former Gouin Arena was located before the legendary Sault Memorial Gardens was built. The Gouin Arena was destroyed by fire not once, but twice in the early to mid 1900s.

Not sure what you mean Gohoundsgo? Are you implying that I may know something about a potential upcoming trade?
I can assure you that I dont. Just looking forward to the 2nd half of the season and anxious about any possible roster changes, just like any other Hound fan this year.

Chopchop

Oct 15, 2017

I guess we will see how Radysh and Katchouk play together;
Here is the info on the top three players to watch during the world juniors;
Tyler Steenbergen, Kale Clague and Boris Katchouk.
Sports on MSN

Similar to Steenbergen, Katchouk will be looked upon to aid the team in the goal-scoring department.
The Tampa Bay Lightning draft pick sits second in goals in the OHL with 27, along with 18 assists in 30 games.
Katchouk should slot in on the second line alongside Robert Thomas and returnee Taylor Raddysh. He'll also feature on the power play, where he showed his effectiveness in a tune-up against Denmark, scoring a goal with the extra skater.
At 6-foot-3, Katchouk stands with Brett Howden as Canada's biggest bodies up front and as such should be expected to be a net-front presence, play on the physical side, and provide offense.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Any way you slice it, the Hounds are top of the list . Must be a great atmosphere at your games .

Boy I wish I could say the same thing about the Attack.

Chopchop

Oct 15, 2017
So let me get this clear. You are saying Soo Hounds Girl is shape shifting? Kidding:)

I guess you haven't seen or know the Soo Hound girl. If you did you would know that shape hasn't changed in years and most people would be very envious. When it comes to hockey smarts SHG is very knowledgeable and can go one on one with anyone. That's all I'm saying about that.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I guess you haven't seen or know the Soo Hound girl. If you did you would know that shape hasn't changed in years and most people would be very envious. When it comes to hockey smarts SHG is very knowledgeable and can go one on one with anyone. That's all I'm saying about that.
Oh I agree with your analysis of Soo Girl. She seems quite knowledgeable and I enjoy her posts. Everything said before was I jest in case it went over your noggin Chopper:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad