Soo Greyhounds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

count35

Nov 26, 2014
Soo
Yeah was a good showing for sure. Course no one ever won the Memorial Cup in December so as Paul Brown used to tell his players, "When you lose don't say anything......when you win...say less." :D

Reactions: soo hound girl

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
13 shortys so far fun to watch when we are short handed look out who do you think will beat us?
I can't see anyone at this point. In order for team to match up in the West to the Soo they will have to fill a lot of holes in the roster. Kitchener has no goaltending, questions on defence and size up front. London's defence without Mete hurts not sure they can fill his spot. Also have depth issues up front. Sarnia is their toughest competition but need to add another vet up front and on defence. They could make a deal and be entirely different come January but that remains to be seen what young player they will have to part with and the amount of picks. Owen Sound is a one line team and have some extra parts up front but no real depth there. Defence needs a good stay at home type player and of course they need to find a starting goalie first. Saginaw can add and they will be pretty deep but the youth will factor in eventually up front. Guelph the same could be said as they are one year away still. Giavani Smith if dealt could bring a really hull. But will they. I don't think Guelph does as they can be a headache in the playoffs for some teams. Flint forget it. So the Soo really doesn't have too much to worry about at this point but I can see them adding some depth at the forward and defensive position for a run. Erie has those two players, Sudbury has two players, Northbay has two players, Flint has two players, if London sells they also have two players and Windsor has to sell and they could provide those two players. Its what the Soo needs to part with to get those two players. Sudbury, Flint and North Bay will provide the low end cost while Erie and Windsor will cost the Soo lots. I personally would part with Sokolov and Rhodes and picks for Fowler, DeMeo and Jacklin.

WJ

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Opened a can of whoopass on Sarnia in front of the biggest and loudest crowd of the year. I love it.
Come on Fish we know he played tonight just some posters we're saying he is the best player in the league if he is the best this league is ?

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017
Lots of end to end action last night. Great hockey to watch. Sarnia seemed to get more and more physical as the game went on. Might be worth while to go and grab a guy like Pezzetta or Smith who can control that. Since that is most likely the style of play the Hounds are going to face from here on out..

Reactions: Houndzfan20

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
That would be awesome if he came would fill the import spot without giving up anybody or picks
Tonight's game we sure were missing Gettinger our 3rd line was not a threat like it usually is we might have to part with a couple of our rookies and picks for some more veteran depth if injuries creep up on us we are gonna feel it

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Tonight's game we sure were missing Gettinger our 3rd line was not a threat like it usually is we might have to part with a couple of our rookies and picks for some more veteran depth if injuries creep up on us we are gonna feel it

The depth should trickle down of we add a star player or Kupari, but there's always the open OA spot and we could probably add a 98 vet like Eric Henderson for a 4th or 5th round pick if that is the concern.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
With the Soo I see team chemistry as an issue almost as much as talent - good thing going in the Soo so important to add players that will fit in and possibly except a new role. Soo is not so much in need of talent just depth.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
With the Soo I see team chemistry as an issue almost as much as talent - good thing going in the Soo so important to add players that will fit in and possibly except a new role. Soo is not so much in need of talent just depth.
Yes I agree we have lots of high end talent but when 5-6 of your 12 forwards are rookies come playoffs will that be the difference of winning or losing ?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes I agree we have lots of high end talent but when 5-6 of your 12 forwards are rookies come playoffs will that be the difference of winning or losing ?
IMO bring in a couple of depth forwards, 2nd/ 3rd line type guys. They push the rookies down the tree a bit and protect them somewhat. It does depend on the rookie - some can handle the added pressure and some fold after the trade deadline, long season starts to get to them. If you don't have the depth guys (experienced) then you are totally dependent on the rookies and that might hurt in a long playoff run.

Houndzfan

Dec 9, 2017
Maybe Logan Brown stays behind in SSM. He'd look great with a dog on the front of his jersey.
Pipe dream, but we could use a big center to win some important FO's

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Maybe Logan Brown stays behind in SSM. He'd look great with a dog on the front of his jersey.
Pipe dream, but we could use a big center to win some important FO's

I'm not sure when Brown is leaving for the WJC, but I HAVE seen two teams make a deal when at the same arena. Back in 97-98, Windsor and Plymouth were playing at the Windsor Arena. I remember listening on the radio and Steve Bell saying there was a deal going down as he spoke. He left the booth and came back with details of a multi-player trade. I'm trying to recall if it's happened since and I don't think so.

93MemCup

Apr 10, 2014
If the Hounds play a sloppy game like they did against North Bay ,Windsor is the team that will END the winning streak
I don't know that the Hounds played that sloppy of a game considering the opposition who absolutely traps and grinds the game to a standstill through the neutral zone. The Hounds exhibited great patience to neutralize the trap and if not for the goaltending of Sime , this game would have been done early on! The kid was exceptional! The Hounds used their speed and were often successful on the puck retrievals as they don't ever like to dump and chase. Sure they gave up some good scoring chances but Tyler Johnson matched Sime at his end. At times Hound puck possession was very one-sided. These games tests everyone's mettle and I believe the Hounds passed the NB trap system exceptionally! To boot, the Hounds never took a penalty showing a game plan was adhered to and a great level of maturity has been reached.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
lets see who is going to be right Hounds will get Taylor Raddysh and Sean Day
Why do you think we will get Day do you know something we don't and what would it cost us hopefully DeMeo is not part of it his game has come a long way and we will need him next season

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Why do you think we will get Day do you know something we don't and what would it cost us hopefully DeMeo is not part of it his game has come a long way and we will need him next season
The Radysh deal I could see us giving up Fowler and picks we have several good rookies up front that will be even better next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad