Sony PS4 #10: The Return of the Ugly Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Cage treating domestic abuse like it's a choose-your-own-adventure book. Detroit still looks as terrible and tone deaf as everything else QD has done.

But hey at least somebody found Sucker Punch.

Yeah the more I see of Detroit the less I want to get it. I still have hope if it’s good I’ll get it. Hate the many different main characters

Eh, I knew especially on here Quantic Dream games weren't really well accepted. I can get it. I remember someone here said they just didnt like interactive stories which is all good. But from someone who loved Heavy Rain, I am looking forward to it.

I honestly think I am the opposite of you Bruce Joker though. The more I see it, the more I look forward to it. Story telling games are fairly rare and overall I liked Cage's stories. He knows how to add suspense. But again, I know people that hate Cage's stories which can be said about any game really.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Goodness gracious I don't play a ton of JRPGs and I knew that Valkyries revolution was going to be a bit of a lower budget game but I'm most of the way through the game and there's only like 4 levels that you replay throughout the entire campaign

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Anyone play the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion Frozen Wilda yet?

I thought there was a Horizon thread but I cant find it or the search button when on the mobile site.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Man do not play valkyria revolution. These boss fights are awful and if you don't level your characters properly they won't be able to do any damage even if youre the correct level for the mission. Thankfully I leveled at least one of my characters up properly

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Man do not play valkyria revolution. These boss fights are awful and if you don't level your characters properly they won't be able to do any damage even if youre the correct level for the mission. Thankfully I leveled at least one of my characters up properly

Thats disappointing, it is near the top in my backlog. I was really looking forward to it since I loved the original.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've been looking into getting a PS4 slim, but I read something about it causing problems for certain surround sound setups? Something about no optical port being the cause?

My current setup uses HDMI cables, so I was wondering if I'd still have those same surround sound issues, or if that's only affecting folks who use the audio in/video in ports as part of their setup?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

That entire game just bums me out...I was so excited for it, and it turns out to not be anything like the original. Get better at figuring out which ones to localize and which ones can stay in Japan, Sega.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
By far the worst boss fights I've ever seen in a game. The last hydra fight is ridiculous because you have to kill both heads within 10 seconds of eachother otherwise the boss will regenerate. Only problem is that one of the heads will not show you it's healthbar so you have to guess based on the color when it's close to death. Absolutely awful.

And it's not just some short fight either. It takes around 15 minutes to kill the stronger head, I had to beat it twice and still finished with an s rank for the timing so that tells you all you need to know

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
*sigh* another boss that regenerates all his health with zero warning or indication after spending 20 minutes grinding it down.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
copy and pasted from the other thread

Valkyria Revolution

I wish I was the wordsmith some of you on here were but I'll try my best to explain why this game left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Combat

Maybe the most poorly designed aspect. The overwhelming majority of the bosses are tanks. Guess what, there are 4 classes and only 1 can damage them (like, at all) with the default weapon attack. Every other class does 1 damage or 20-30 in the case of shield bearers. Either way it doesn't matter because theres only one class thats actually necessary, Sappers. Alchemy stops time, so using regular attacks are basically pointless. Just upgrade you sappers mana meter and spam alchemy again and again until the boss is dead.

Story

goodness gracious the story is just so poorly written. Slight spoilers but basically the game takes place hundreds of years after the events of the game and you're playing flashbacks, we know that the 5 main characters were executed for treason, but that theres "more to the story". This is basically the opening cutscene of the game so dont worry, but I feel like they had a decent idea there and couldn't execute it. That seems like a story where the end was written first right? No, the ending makes almost no sense.

Graphics

For a game that needed to be scalable for a vita port, it looks fine. Nice clean visuals with some decently detailed character models.

Difficulty

Heres where it all goes to hell even more. If you're properly leveled, you can kill every enemy before the boss in one or two hits ,other than aces which take some effort. But the Bosses still have extremely large health pools which take 15-20 minutes to take down, and certain mechanics like taking out a tanks legs seem to do nothing. Their weak point is always exposed and taking out their leg only staggers for 5 seconds with seemingly no damage benefit. Still trying to figure out what it even does. Also the majority of them have large AOE instakill moves. Now most of these bosses are trivialized with a Sapper and some ranged alchemy (didn't figure this out until late game), but I just got so tired of the game I rushed through everything severely underleveled. Got to the level 70 final boss with level 43 characters and just turned the difficulty down because I couldn't damage it. I guess its partially my fault for the bad taste it left in my mouth in that sense.

Level variety

There is none, the same 5 levels are recycled over and over and you constantly revisit areas as part of the story.

I wont say I hated this game, but I really couldn't recommend it to anyone. I honestly can't see who would think this is a good game. JRPG fans wouldn't like it, Valkyria fans would hate it, and the casual gamer would think its pretty repetitive and boring.

Also this doesn't fit into any particular category but taking/losing land on the map seems to do nothing. You just lose or gain territory and nothing seems to happen as a result good or bad.

Final score 4.5/10

edit: Oh yeah, and get ready to constantly get stuck under the tank enemies when you're attacking. You think they could have fixed that, it literally happens every time.

So just to reiterate, don't play this game, but if you are, shocktroopers and sappers are the only classes you need, the other 2 are basically useless.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So, Best Buy on Black Friday is selling a PS4 1TB for $200 bucks which seems like good value (plus some games are on discount as well). Is it too good of a deal to turn down in your guys' opinion?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So, Best Buy on Black Friday is selling a PS4 1TB for $200 bucks which seems like good value (plus some games are on discount as well). Is it too good of a deal to turn down in your guys' opinion?
I mean, even if you don't play games it's a decent streaming box for Netflix and YouTube etc, as well as a BluRay player. At worst you can resell it and get most of that back if you don't use it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've been looking into getting a PS4 slim, but I read something about it causing problems for certain surround sound setups? Something about no optical port being the cause?

My current setup uses HDMI cables, so I was wondering if I'd still have those same surround sound issues, or if that's only affecting folks who use the audio in/video in ports as part of their setup?

No one can clarify this for me?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

If you don’t have a PS4 and play games a decent amount yeah. If you already own a Apple TV or something similar and don’t game it’s not really worth it

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean, even if you don't play games it's a decent streaming box for Netflix and YouTube etc, as well as a BluRay player. At worst you can resell it and get most of that back if you don't use it.
Is Sony making a PS4 version of the Xbox One X in the future by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad