Music: Songs You Love by Artists You Dislike

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
For Bowie, I only really know him for his run of hits in the 70's and 80's (Let's Dance, Fame, Blue Jean, China Girl, Modern Love, etc.,) so I really lack exposure to his more acclaimed stuff. It might be pushing it to say I "dislike" him although Under Pressure, to me, stands out as his best track. I know it is not cool to say you dislike Bowie amongst most music fans.

As far as CSN. I don't know. The vocals are fine, but a lot of the songs are a little uninspiring to me. The singer/songwriter stuff of the early 70's doesn't really grab me, save Jackson Browne and Joni Mitchell. But CSN are before my time and again, it might be pushing it to say I "dislike" them. Did really like Wasted On The Way (and Southern Cross).

My Best-Carey
It seems most people are more emotionally attached to the stuff we grew up on. We can come to enjoy stuff from an earlier era. But each Bowie new release was an adventure and you looked forwrd to what it was going to be like since he went in different directions. Loved the Mick Ronson era the best but Niles Rodgers was no slouch.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
David Bowie is very varied in his career and yet has a distinctive sort of larger-than-life voice, amazing longevity, and a distinctive musical style. He was perhaps one of the last great rock stars before Van Halen or some individual or band like that. His ambiguous sexuality was also very influential, for what it's worth, but that's mostly a stylistic consideration. Every pop star has people who dislike them, but I think Bowie has managed to ruffle extra sets of feathers over the years. Perhaps it's for extra-musical reasons, but musically I don't think much criticism is warranted.

Last edited:

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
I have to say that my dislike for Bowie is not in any way objective. 80s music, and a lot of 70s pop music in general, just don’t appeal to me. The synthesizers, the echo-y snare, the guitar tones of that era and the high-pitched harmonies get on my nerves for some reason. That being said I do love Space Oddity and Under Pressure (though I always thought of that as Queen’s song).

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
C'mom guys, stop hogging all the hate.

Haha, there’s a fine line between dislike and hate. I wouldn’t say I hate any of these artists since I can generally appreciate their musicianship and understand the appeal for most of them. They just don’t appeal to me personally. Not only that but they all have one song that I know of that I love, which is more than I can say about a great number of artists out there.

Reactions: JianYang

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Some songs I love from artists I can't stand:

Daniel - Elton John
Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
Gel - Collective Soul
Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue
When You're Gone - Bryan Adams

About Chicago: David Foster is hated by longtime Chicago fans the same way Heart fans hate Ron Nevison or Metallica fans hate Bob Rock. On the one hand, you have to give the producers credit for knowing what would do well on the charts at the time, and making the bands a lot of money. But they alienated the band core audience in their pursuit of the fickle mainstream fans.

I imagine that at most Chicago reunion shows, the opening chords of You're The Inspiration are when fans choose to go for a snack or a bathroom break.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Some songs I love from artists I can't stand:

Daniel - Elton John
Looks That Kill - Motley Crue
Hungry Like The Wolf - Duran Duran
Gel - Collective Soul
Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue
When You're Gone - Bryan Adams

About Chicago: David Foster is hated by longtime Chicago fans the same way Heart fans hate Ron Nevison or Metallica fans hate Bob Rock. On the one hand, you have to give the producers credit for knowing what would do well on the charts at the time, and making the bands a lot of money. But they alienated the band core audience in their pursuit of the fickle mainstream fans.

I imagine that at most Chicago reunion shows, the opening chords of You're The Inspiration are when fans choose to go for a snack or a bathroom break.
Duran Duran is a good choice. They represented everything pretentious about the 80s, but a couple of their tunes are pretty catchy.

Elton John... I've never called myself a fan of his work, but he has too many great/good songs for me to have any negative reaction to him. He was a hit machine 50 years ago and many of his best – Daniel, Your Song, Tiny Dancer – have grown into classics. I can forgive his excesses in the 1970s, but I get why it could be off-putting.

I still love the Terry Kath Chicago years, up to and including 1976's Chicago X. The band probably gets some hate for devolving into a synthy pop ballad band, but before then their first eight albums were a beautifully arranged blend of horns, piano, strong vocal harmonies, over a bedrock of killer rock guitar and drums. Early Peter Cetera also deserves much credit for his excellent bass and composing a few gorgeous ballads. Wishing You Were Here and If You Leave Me Now are really great songs – in fact, I'll stack the latter up against almost any ballad in the last half century.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
It's a hard question because if I like more than one song, then it's hard to say I dislike them. If it's just one song, chances are I haven't explored their work enough, and it almost becomes a one-hit wonder thing. Here goes anyway:

Blind Melon, "No Rain"
The Police, "Roxanne"

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
It's a hard question because if I like more than one song, then it's hard to say I dislike them. If it's just one song, chances are I haven't explored their work enough, and it almost becomes a one-hit wonder thing. Here goes anyway:

Blind Melon, "No Rain"
The Police, "Roxanne"

That definitely makes sense! For me personally I listen to a ridiculous amount of music across all genres and go out of my way to listen to music from artists and genres I don’t like in hopes of finding a “gem”. But I get that most people aren’t addicted to music the same way I am haha.

Reactions: Hippasus

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Tie me kangaroo down -Rolf Harris
Rock 'n' roll Pt 2 - Gary Glitter

Admittedly I don't believe I have ever heard anything else from either guy, so my dislike of them would be more due to their extracurricular activities

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Tie me kangaroo down -Rolf Harris
Rock 'n' roll Pt 2 - Gary Glitter

Admittedly I don't believe I have ever heard anything else from either guy, so my dislike of them would be more due to their extracurricular activities
If I couldn't separate the artists as persons from their art at least somewhat, I don't think I could listen to much of other rock music either (e.g. Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie...). Same with Miles Davis (women-beater, if nothing else).

But Gary Glitter is a creep-o supremo, I'll give you that much; it has been impossible for me to avoid some of his other hits like "I'm the Leader of the Gang", though. I'm less familiar with Rolf Harris' case, but I know his song "Sun Arise" via Alice Cooper (Love it to Death).

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
If I couldn't separate the artists as persons from their art at least somewhat, I don't think I could listen to much of other rock music either (e.g. Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie...). Same with Miles Davis (women-beater, if nothing else).

But Gary Glitter is a creep-o supremo, I'll give you that much; it has been impossible for me to avoid some of his other hits like "I'm the Leader of the Gang", though. I'm less familiar with Rolf Harris' case, but I know his song "Sun Arise" via Alice Cooper (Love it to Death).

Yeah, I know I was kind of cheating with my interpretation of the original question, but I really could not think of anything that would fit the criteria, I can't think of any songs that I like from an artist that I actually dislike.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know if 'love' is the right word but they're listenable and I wouldn't turn them off.

November Rain - Guns 'n Roses.

Thunderstuck - AC/DC - all their songs are the same, so you listen to this one and its the best of them, no need to listen to anything else they've ever done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad