Music: Songs You Love by Artists You Dislike

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
What are some songs that you love from bands that you otherwise dislike?

Some examples for me:

Back in Black - AC/DC
Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
Hands Away - Interpol
Dark Horse - Katy Perry
Glass House - Machine Gun Kelly
Get Down - Nas
Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door - Bob Dylan
À tout le monde - Megadeth
Conversation 16 - The National
My Body Is a Cage - Arcade Fire
Roxanne - The Police
Gatekeeper - Feist
Satellite - Courtney Marie Andrews
Mr. Zebra - Tori Amos
Rich Girl - Hall & Oates
Struck a Nerve - Bad Religion
Crazy on You - Heart
Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
Good Feeling - Flo Rida
Yeah! - Usher
Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z
Love on the Brain - Rihanna
Born to Trouble - Brad Mehldau
Egyptian Danza - Al Di Meola
Fire Woman - The Cult
The Idol - W.A.S.P.
More Than Words - Extreme
The Fighter - Keith Urban
My Favorite Mistake - Sheryl Crow
O Holy Night - Mariah Carey
Mary, Did You Know? - Pentatonix
Complicated - Avril Lavigne
Maybe (Live) - Miley Cyrus
Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
Addicted to You - Avicii
Mombasa - Tommy Emmanuel
Run to You - Bryan Adams
Old Days - Chicago
Space Oddity - David Bowie

There are a TON of artists from whom I only like one song but these are the few that I have heard enough to have a general opinion on their discography.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felidae

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Live To Tell-Madonna
Daydream Believer-The Monkees
Get This Party Started-Pink
Don't Stop Until You Get Enough-Michael Jackson
Jet-Paul McCartney And Wings
Wasted On The Way-Crosby-Stills-Nash
Two Pina Coladas-Garth Brooks
Hold On-Santana
Immortality-Celine Dion
Runaway-Bon Jovi
Dream On-Aerosmith
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere-Alan Jackson
Rush Rush-Paul Abdul
Hiding From Love-Bryan Adams
Different Corner-George Michael
What A Fool Believes-Doobie Brothers
Shot In The Dark-Ozzie Osborne
One Hit To The Body-Rolling Stones
Hard To Say I'm Sorry-Chicago
Living In America-James Brown
Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress-The Hollies
My Generation-The Who
California Dreaming-The Mamas And Papas
Under Pressure-David Bowie
Owner Of A Lonely Heart-Yes

My Best-Carey

Last edited:
Reactions: phrenssoa

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
pearl jam-alive
jefferson starship-jane
gloria gaynor-i will survive
diana ross-mirror mirror
george michael-careless whisper
lou reed-dirty boulevard
yvonne elliman-if i can't have you
chicago-25 to 6 to 4
aldo nova-fantasy

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
People dislike Chicago a lot? 😀

I'm just curious because I've only recently gotten into them... at least a little bit. I think their debut album from 1969 is pretty good, although occasionally way too jammy for my taste. They do have some good songs...

My choice for Bon Jovi would be "Always", but I wouldn't bust a gut to hear even that one ever again. They/he just sucks.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I was never a big fan of George Michael's music in general, though I loved his voice, but I freaking adore "Faith" and I don't care what anyone says to the contrary. The fact that it was bastardized in one of the worst cover songs ever created makes me physically ill.

I have a soft spot for "Summer of '69" and I don't know how I feel about that. "Heartbreaker" too, for that matter.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site

I'm just curious because I've only recently gotten into them... at least a little bit. I think their debut album from 1969 is pretty good, although occasionally way too jammy for my taste. They do have some good songs...

My choice for Bon Jovi would be "Always", but I wouldn't bust a gut to hear even that one ever again. They/he just sucks.
early Chicago with Terry Kath was one of the greatest bands ever. 25 or 6 to 4 has one of the greatest guitar solos ever. After Kath's tragic death, the direction of the band went softer and Peter Cetera stuff trended towards elevator music. Buth Kath stuff IMO was as good as it gets

For those of us alive during their heyday, especially us in Chicago they are an institution.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
based on snippets that i've heard early chicago's appeal is based on kath's guitar work and the horns section. then the band gradually evolved into writing and playing soft rock, which many people either loved or despised.

Reactions: Behn Wilson

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg

For me it’s Chicago’s vocals that turn me off. I can certainly appreciate their musicianship, and there are a few songs from their 60s/70s catalog that I don’t mind (I just wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to any of it, besides the aforementioned “Old Days”).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

People crap all over Chicago because they became a ballad sausage machine in the 80s, but their earlier stuff is fantastic. Innovative songwriting with absolutely killer blend of rock guitar and horns, plus very strong vocals.

Great songs by artists who make me gag:

Careless Whisper: George Michaels. Can't stand his voice and persona, but this is a really nice tune with a classic sax riff.
Time: Culture Club. Solid arrangement and songwriting elevate this tune above their usual disposable pop.
This Used to be My Playground: Madonna. Her wistful side is less desperate for attention, thus much more attractive.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Every Picture Tells a Story is the only Rod Stewart song I can tolerate.
I'm not sure if I dislike Rod Stewart or am just sick to death of hearing his stuff over the decades. Still, my band reluctantly agreed to add Maggie May and Every Picture Tells a Story to our setlist because our lead singer sounds incredibly like Rod Stewart.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Very cringe guy, cringe video but man I've always had a bit of a soft spot for pop punk and this one just does it for me.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I'm not sure if I dislike Rod Stewart or am just sick to death of hearing his stuff over the decades. Still, my band reluctantly agreed to add Maggie May and Every Picture Tells a Story to our setlist because our lead singer sounds incredibly like Rod Stewart.
I thought his initial run of solos albums, his like first three or four match up to almost anyones run. Once he went disco and schmaltzy I kind of lost interest in him. Every Picture... is a truly fantastic song.

Reactions: Lshap

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
based on snippets that i've heard early chicago's appeal is based on kath's guitar work and the horns section. then the band gradually evolved into writing and playing soft rock, which many people either loved or despised.
There is a documentary on Kath his daughter put out. Kath was going to put out a Hendrixian type solo album. It is a shame we never got to hear that. He was as popular as any rock star ever here locally. I was crushed when he passed away.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
There is a documentary on Kath his daughter put out. Kath was going to put out a Hendrixian type solo album. It is a shame we never got to hear that. He was as popular as any rock star ever here locally. I was crushed when he passed away.
and hendrix said that kath was the best guitar player. went up to him and said that he was the man.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I have only a 2CD compilation by Rod Stewart and I'm fairly happy with that, at least for now. The earlier '70s stuff is definitely the strongest, but there's still some good tunes from the '80s like "Young Turks" and "Baby Jane", and for some reason I've always liked "Infatuation" too.

Also, while not exactly a Mozart, he was also a good songwriter; if you can come up with e.g. "Mandolin Wind" and "The Killing of Georgie (part I & II)" all by yourself, you're no slouch. Unfortunately, he seemed to stop writing almost completely in the '90s. I think it's kinda shame that he 'lost' his '2nd lieutenant' Ronnie Wood to the Stones in the mid-70s; they had a good partnership in the Faces etc, and maybe he would've stayed more creative with Ronnie by his side.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
A few more I forgot to mention:

Mary Jane’s Last Dance - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Harder Than You Think - Public Enemy
Drop the World - Lil Wayne
Dead and Gone - T.I.
Cover Me Up - Morgan Wallen

Last edited:

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I understand the reasoning behind almost every artist on people's lists, but if you included David Bowie, The Police, or Crosby Stills & Nash, you regrettably need to be banned from the internet.
For Bowie, I only really know him for his run of hits in the 70's and 80's (Let's Dance, Fame, Blue Jean, China Girl, Modern Love, etc.,) so I really lack exposure to his more acclaimed stuff. It might be pushing it to say I "dislike" him although Under Pressure, to me, stands out as his best track. I know it is not cool to say you dislike Bowie amongst most music fans.

As far as CSN. I don't know. The vocals are fine, but a lot of the songs are a little uninspiring to me. The singer/songwriter stuff of the early 70's doesn't really grab me, save Jackson Browne and Joni Mitchell. But CSN are before my time and again, it might be pushing it to say I "dislike" them. Did really like Wasted On The Way (and Southern Cross).

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
For Bowie, I only really know him for his run of hits in the 70's and 80's (Let's Dance, Fame, Blue Jean, China Girl, Modern Love, etc.,) so I really lack exposure to his more acclaimed stuff. It might be pushing it to say I "dislike" him although Under Pressure, to me, stands out as his best track. I know it is not cool to say you dislike Bowie amongst most music fans.

As far as CSN. I don't know. The vocals are fine, but a lot of the songs are a little uninspiring to me. The singer/songwriter stuff of the early 70's doesn't really grab me, save Jackson Browne and Joni Mitchell. But CSN are before my time and again, it might be pushing it to say I "dislike" them. Did really like Wasted On The Way (and Southern Cross).

My Best-Carey
Bowie's discography runs so much deeper than his pop hits, but we're allowed to have opinions of an artist even without a complete knowledge of every tune they made.

I see your point about CS&N. The harmonies and acoustic instrumentation create a mood that elevates the songs beyond the actual songwriting. Have any of their original songs been covered by other artists? Can't think of any, possibly because stripped of their harmonies they're nothing special. I happen to love the blend of their voices and the feel of their music, but I admit there's no inherent greatness.

That said, you're still banned from the internet.

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Bowie's discography runs so much deeper than his pop hits, but we're allowed to have opinions of an artist even without a complete knowledge of every tune they made.

I see your point about CS&N. The harmonies and acoustic instrumentation create a mood that elevates the songs beyond the actual songwriting. Have any of their original songs been covered by other artists? Can't think of any, possibly because stripped of their harmonies they're nothing special. I happen to love the blend of their voices and the feel of their music, but I admit there's no inherent greatness.

That said, you're still banned from the internet.
Damn. Oh well, back to old fashioned reference books and letter mail, I guess. I liked those days better anyhow.

For Bowie, he was so overplayed in the late 70's and 80's as far as his big hits go that I just got tired of him. I don't think I could voluntarily listen to Let's Dance again. So, I tended to just shy away from anything he released before or after. Maybe someday...

Jimmy Buffett adding Southern Cross to his core playlist is the only example I can come up with a CS&N cover.

One thing about them is they were always splintering off and doing things out of the regular CS&N format. They would add Neil Young. They would pair off and do duo projects amongst themselves then go and all release solo albums in like the same year. It's sort of hard to isolate the CS&N material from the plethora of stuff released from guys in the band.

My Best-Carey

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The thing that bugs me about Bowie is that for quite many, he seems to be the biggest musical genius — at least in popular music — who has ever lived, whereas to me, he was 'just' one of the many many greats. Yes, he was varied, experimental and prolific (especially in the 1970s), but it's not like he always succeeded, and he had many weak years in his career, just like most others. I'm not totally crazy about his voice either.

So, a fan but not a mega-fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad