Someone stood up for a teammate ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
And the Leafs went after Perry. Then The Refs seperated the players, and Perry skated off

so then. MY question is what more exactly did you want someone to do? Tackle Perry anyway? Drop their gloves and just beat some random?

it would have been something had someone not not reacted at all. Which wasn't the case.
it would have been something had Bernier hadn't flat out admit he sold the 2nd (and the more gross looking cross check). Which was the case.

i don't remember the time stamp, but say it was 16ish minutes in.
5 minute powerplay (or four on four), a flub shot here, a cross bar and in there, pull the goalie and hope for the best. anyhting could have happened.

but whatever.

It doesn't matter if bernier sold anything, Perry got two solid cross checks onto our goalie, OUR GOALIE. And was allowed to laugh his way to the penalty box. Like I mentioned, if the Leafs gave up a 4 goal lead with half a period left than they have more problems than sticking up for each other.

Yes it would have been ideal for a player to have taken a run at Perry and/or mugged him into a fight. Not only does it take Perry off the ice it's a statement saying, you don't touch our goalie.

I can't exactly remember but I believe Gibson got injured before this happened. Then Perry decided to take some swipes at Bernier, bernier retaliated and Perry went ape ****. Seems like Perry was standing up for his goalie too.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It doesn't matter if bernier sold anything, Perry got two solid cross checks onto our goalie, OUR GOALIE. And was allowed to laugh his way to the penalty box. Like I mentioned, if the Leafs gave up a 4 goal lead with half a period left than they have more problems than sticking up for each other.

Yes it would have been ideal for a player to have taken a run at Perry and/or mugged him into a fight. Not only does it take Perry off the ice it's a statement saying, you don't touch our goalie.

I can't exactly remember but I believe Gibson got injured before this happened. Then Perry decided to take some swipes at Bernier, bernier retaliated and Perry went ape ****. Seems like Perry was standing up for his goalie too.

The Gibson situation was well before.

And Perry didn't laugh his way to the penalty box. He was frustrated and whining and completely off his game. In the penalty box and outside it.

I think it's important to team building that they show they got each others backs if something happens. I don't want to make it sound like I don't. I think the reaction was there, once people realized what had happened.

However, smartness is still required. It can't become a question of wounded pride over successful play. If we start to run around thinking about revenging this situation or that, instead of focusing on doing whatever gives us the best chance to win, we'll be filling the Ducks shoes. We'll be the team that gets frustrated, focuses on the wrong things and has the on-ice product suffer because of it.

Normally I'd have loved to see someone jump into the defense of Bernier. But this game they played the Ducks into imploding with the way they handled their attempts to bully us.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

and then Our players started to start stuff up.
Rielly went to go and fight him. others started to get dusted up and then it broken up.

so to me, it looks that they were standing up for a team mate.

like that's what is mystifying to me.
if no one did anything, it would be something and I could get where you are all coming from.

but like a lot of people are saying - the leafs DID do something, and people are mad they didn't do more? or they don't like who did it. (which also makes no sense to me. but that's another thing).

but again. whatever. I guess if it wasn't a big rock'em sock'em stance, it apparently doesn't count. now i'm aware.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Did you see Benier chop down Perry in the 1st period? Someone should have backed up Perry & then the Kadri hit, again, nothing. The ducks are a bunch of wimps.

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
I am in favour of the ultra-disciplined, no scrums, no fights approach that Babcock teams take ... Howeeevver,

.. as mentioned, we are too much on the soft-side and could use a skilled-goon for lack of a better term.

I definitely recognized this yesterday, as well as in our mini-set with the Islanders when Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck were running around.

We can probably temporarily fill this void internally with a Sam Carrick type. Not afraid to take care of some business.

I can't remember who was on the ice yesterday, but if was PA, JVR and Bozak there is zero chance anything gets started.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Perry didn't go out of his way to cross check Bernier, he did it as a retaliation for Bernier chopping the back of his knee.

Can't imagine if Bernier stuck him again he wouldn't retaliate the same way, even had he been gooned up for the 1st offence.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If the Leafs had have lost a 4 goal lead with half a period to go in the game than I'd have more worries about the general core of this team than the 2 points we lost

I have never seen a team score 4 goals with the extra man advantage for 2 mins but... Getting 2 points in game 38 of the regular season... a season with bottom 3 expectations nonetheless?

You just answered your own question. Twice.

Riddle me this. How many goals would the back up goalie let in if he comes in cold and Bernier has a concussion? Or gets an 8 game suspension like Mackenzie Blackwood of the Barrie Colts did for swinging his stick in an effort to protect himself?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I am in favour of the ultra-disciplined, no scrums, no fights approach that Babcock teams take ... Howeeevver,

.. as mentioned, we are too much on the soft-side and could use a skilled-goon for lack of a better term.

I definitely recognized this yesterday, as well as in our mini-set with the Islanders when Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck were running around.

We can probably temporarily fill this void internally with a Sam Carrick type. Not afraid to take care of some business.

I can't remember who was on the ice yesterday, but if was PA, JVR and Bozak there is zero chance anything gets started.

I think I would be most concerned if the Leafs altered their lineup as a response to Martin & Clutterbuck running around. They are insignificant.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Why don't teams fight as much in the playoffs?

No idea. Probably because the games mean something and the instigator penalty can hurt your team.

Same question with respect to head shots and suspensions. Why do they decline in the post season?

Does Perry cross check Bernier's head in game 3 of a series?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Why don't teams fight as much in the playoffs?

Playoffs are a marathon and you're risking hurting yourself in a fight. No player will be at 100% even during the second round, so they'll do anything they can to stay healthy. Also one bad penalty can swing a game, and in the playoffs one game can swing a series, so the coaches really have to preach discipline.

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
I think I would be most concerned if the Leafs altered their lineup as a response to Martin & Clutterbuck running around. They are insignificant.

I'm not talking about earth-shattering lineup modifications.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that 1 if not 2 players with some additional toughness are required. Players of the Abdelkader, Shaw, Wilson, Jenner, Nolan ilk spring to mind.

It's not fighting that is required in the traditional sense, it is simply just an extra layer of insulation to protect our more skilled or younger players.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd rather the Leafs have the line up filled out with cheap reclamation players right now that could bring trade value for the draft picks/assets rather than a couple of guys who have no value but hit and fight.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sure looks like some are desperate for attention.

Like I said.

it would be different if the Leafs did NOTHING.
that is not the case. they did something.
so it's either A: it wasn't enough, or B: they didn't like who did it,

like. i could totally understand this thread had the leafs did jack. like Bernier got hit and no one did a blessed thing. Bernier was all out ready to fight Perry, Rielly was taking his gloves off, and there was some dust ups in the corner. the refs/linesmen stepped in and the Leafs decided to give prey to the crap the Ducks were doing after that - and not being stupid and giving them a chance to potentially get back nto the game. (because. shock - we aren't that good, and our goaltender has a penchant of pooping the bed relatively quickly. it could have turned had the right circumstances happened. Not saying it would have).

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Like I said.

like. i could totally understand this thread had the leafs did jack. like Bernier got hit and no one did a blessed thing. Bernier was all out ready to fight Perry, Rielly was taking his gloves off, and there was some dust ups in the corner. the refs/linesmen stepped in and the Leafs decided to give prey to the crap the Ducks were doing after that - and not being stupid and giving them a chance to potentially get back nto the game. (because. shock - we aren't that good, and our goaltender has a penchant of pooping the bed relatively quickly. it could have turned had the right circumstances happened. Not saying it would have).

This isnt like Lucic running over Miller and the team standing there and looking at the ref going come on.

corey-perry-of-the-anaheim-ducks-knocks-jonathan-bernier-of-the-to-picture-id503770900

Here's a pic of Hunwick going after Perry...or doing something.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Like I said.

It's not for fear of losing the game that they didn't go after Perry later, it made little sense to go after him later.

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
I bet if Bernier sustained a concussion on the play the tone of the thread would be different.

At any rate, regardless of the point in the game, you simply cannot have someone twice cross-check your goalie in the head and neck and respond with half-hearted face wash.

There are certain unwritten rules that need no explanation regardless of how much faster or skilled the game gets.

For the record, I am a fan of Babcock hockey and am thrilled with the way the Leafs are playing disciplined hockey. Just need a tad more toughness. Maybe not this year or next, but its an element that is required for successful teams.

I will guarantee you this, Blackhawks, Kings, Rangers, Bruins and even Babcock's Red Wings are not politely face-washing Perry if he pulls the same stunt with Crawford, Quick, Lundqvist, Rask or Howard. Not one single chance. Not if it's 1-0 nor 10-0.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
This isnt like Lucic running over Miller and the team standing there and looking at the ref going come on.

corey-perry-of-the-anaheim-ducks-knocks-jonathan-bernier-of-the-to-picture-id503770900

Here's a pic of Hunwick going after Perry...or doing something.

:laugh:

You are getting very sleepy...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
:laugh:

You are getting very sleepy...

This is the way we wash the face, wash the face, wash the face...

this is the way we wash the face so early in the 3rd.

This is the way we skate behind the ref, behind the ref, behind the ref...

This is the way we skate behind the ref so early in the 3rd

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This thread is hilarious.

We embarassed the ducks physically and on the scoreboard.

While perry and getzlaf were whining and frustrated, phaneuf and bernier were laughing at them.

I feel bad for the tankers reducing themselves to manufacturing any complaint they can dream up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad