Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
… But it wasn't one of the Leafs. :(

I miss it when we had jam.

With the game 4-0 and Bernier getting cross checked to the head, it was nice to see a little face wash for the effort. But that was it… as it is every night.

The one and perhaps only downside of Babcock hockey… soft as kittens in a goose-down duvet.

We are good at getting power plays though… so that's nice.

And that toughness had absolutely zero impact on the games final result.

I'll take power plays over a shoving match everytime.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
On this team it's a necessity.

As for them going after Perry, I saw a face wash and a headlock.

That was with 16 mins left. There were no refs circling Perry the rest of the game were there?

Protecting teammates and fighting is still part of the NHL. Just not in Toronto

so if i have this right - you don't care that the leafs won, and would prefer that they lost the right way?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Lol at people acting like we are some we amazing team that doesn't need toughness or sticking up for team mates.

Reality check, we are pretty much bottom of the league

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lol at people acting like we are some we amazing team that doesn't need toughness or sticking up for team mates.

Yeah - and that's because the team doesn't have much high end skill, not due to a lack of shoving matches .

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Which ones are those?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

No one is acting like that.

You may want to believe people are, but they're not.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
No one is acting like that.

You may want to believe people are, but they're not.

??? this entire thread is filled with comments about how we don't need toughness because we won anyway and we're so much better than the Ducks. Newsflash - this team won't win 80% of games for the rest of the season. We're not the Red Wings, and we're certainly not anywhere good enough to be above sticking up for each other to get a few extra powerplays over the course of the season.

It's absurd that our goalie (who's been struggling this season mind you) can get crosschecked in the neck while he's shutting them out and have nobody do anything about it. We're rebuilding and we didn't have one roster spot to burn on someone who can stand up for the team in situations like this? What about when guys like Nylander, Marner and Brown make the jump? Dubas even specifically pointed out the need for one of these guys (Justin Johnson) on the Marlies to protect the smaller/younger players. That doesn't magically disappear in the NHL. We all saw what happened in the World Juniors when Sweden played the one team that actually played physical. And those aren't even grown men.

Also that one guy who comes in every thread as one of the first posters spewing his anti-fighting BS is embarrassing. Rielly went after him? really? dropped his glove and swung at him? delusional. Anyone with half a brain cell knows Rielly isnt going to fight him, and he sure as hell shouldn't have to. The last thing we need is our top D-man and one of our core pieces to be the one that has to drop the gloves. On what other team in the league would they put that burden on a top young d-man? None. And I highly doubt Perry is double-thinking his actions knowing the worst thing that'll happen is Morgan Rielly giving him a push.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Say French-Canadian goalie for the Leafs, I think Felix Potvin. Potvin would of broke Perry's stick in two with his neck, and used them as Filipino Fighting Sticks to lay a beating down so hard that Perry's grandchildren would have bruises on them.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Tough in the NHL in 2016 is measured by how little you change your team game in response to physical play. Thus far this season I've seen little cowering but I have seen certain players get more defiant and more competitive in response.

Well said.

If the Leafs went away from their gameplan and let the Ducks dictate terms by trying to bully us, it would just show a team ruled by emotions. Instead we had a team that ruthlessly saw that the Ducks were imploding, and steered them that way.

Say French-Canadian goalie for the Leafs, I think Felix Potvin. Potvin would of broke Perry's stick in two with his neck, and used them as Filipino Fighting Sticks to lay a beating down so hard that Perry's grandchildren would have bruises on them.

And we'd have a goalie looking tough and a game that suddenly turned just the way Anaheim wanted it.

I have nothing against toughness, fighting and such in general, but smart decisions should always come first.

Last edited:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's an absolute joke no one took liberties on Perry after his shenanigans. I appreciate Riellys attempt but it was just that. Thats your goalie right there. You have to have his back, especially in a 4-0 game

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
seems to me that the people complaining about our lack of goons are all tankers.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
honest question.

had the Leafs retaliated in more of a sense that some of you wanted, and it ended up costing us the game would be be here saying "at least they had jam. at least they defended people "properly" because I didn't like how it was done before?"

because quite frankly that's how it's reading.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
And that toughness had absolutely zero impact on the games final result.

I'll take power plays over a shoving match everytime.

You know what else might have had a zero impact? A penalty with a 4 goal lead in the 3rd period.

It really is about your teammates. I think you would appreciate me on your line. With your desire for power plays over standing up, I am not sure what I would be able to say the same.... ?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
honest question.

had the Leafs retaliated in more of a sense that some of you wanted, and it ended up costing us the game would be be here saying "at least they had jam. at least they defended people "properly" because I didn't like how it was done before?"

If the Leafs had have lost a 4 goal lead with half a period to go in the game than I'd have more worries about the general core of this team than the 2 points we lost

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
honest question.

So you're saying the ducks who are lowest scoring team would score 4 goals in a few mins.

Lol. Ya let everyone run our goalie. Concussions are fantasy

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So you're saying the ducks who are lowest scoring team would score 4 goals in a few mins.

Yet there has been nothing to suggest that fighting or retaliation of any kind in any way impact the likelihood of it happening again. It's a non-factor.

What's left is a need to sooth our wounded pride, and the price for it is to let the opposing team dictate terms instead of doing it ourselves.

While the idea that fighting prohibits cheap shots, weakens opponent resolve and turns momentum doesn't really have any statistical support, doing the opposite has a clear tangible effect. If you let your opponents become emotional and do stupid things, they'll take stupid penalties and become a much easier team to beat.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Yet there has been nothing to suggest that fighting or retaliation of any kind in any way impact the likelihood of it happening again. It's a non-factor.

What's left is a need to sooth our wounded pride, and the price for it is to let the opposing team dictate terms instead of doing it ourselves.

While the idea that fighting prohibits cheap shots, weakens opponent resolve and turns momentum doesn't really have any statistical support, doing the opposite has a clear tangible effect. If you let your opponents become emotional and do stupid things, they'll take stupid penalties and become a much easier team to beat.

We sure dictated terms by having our goalies neck cross checked. Great terms

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If Kadri's hit was clean, why would anyone need to stand up for him?

Clearly you see a difference in a clean hit vs a hit from behind or a cross check to your goalie's head in a 4-0 game?

But about two weeks ago you seemed to think it was appropriate to go after the player even if it was a clean hit.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=111139155&postcount=565

In the NHL I grew up with, players weren't a bunch of suck ***** that went after a player just because he knocked your team-mate on his ass.

Gilmour - McSorley - Clark

?

Sticking up for your teammates has been a hallmark of hockey for ages. To this day... except here... it's what teammates do.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
seems to me that the people complaining about our lack of goons are all tankers.

Jesus Christ :facepalm:

this is NOT ABOUT GOONS

It's about someone completely overstepping the line. If you went out to a bar and some dude threw a drink in your girlfriends face, would you just do nothing about it?

Cause in hockey land, crosschecking a goalie in the face is akin to that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We sure dictated terms by having our goalies neck cross checked. Great terms

We were discussing how to respond to that scenario. You can't respond by going back into time and undoing the event.

this is NOT ABOUT GOONS

It's about someone completely overstepping the line. If you went out to a bar and some dude threw a drink in your girlfriends face, would you just do nothing about it?

Not a very good analogy, yubbers.

In that situation, I would do something. Of course, in that situation there is really nothing to take into account other than the offense and the repercussion.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

And the Leafs went after Perry. Then The Refs seperated the players, and Perry skated off

so then. MY question is what more exactly did you want someone to do? Tackle Perry anyway? Drop their gloves and just beat some random?

it would have been something had someone not not reacted at all. Which wasn't the case.
it would have been something had Bernier hadn't flat out admit he sold the 2nd (and the more gross looking cross check). Which was the case.

i don't remember the time stamp, but say it was 16ish minutes in.
5 minute powerplay (or four on four), a flub shot here, a cross bar and in there, pull the goalie and hope for the best. anyhting could have happened.

but whatever.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

this is NOT ABOUT GOONS

I wouldn't compare a real life scenario to something that happened in a hockey game, but you are right that it isn't about goons at all. Boone Jenner wouldn't have let that happen. Tom Wilson wouldn't. There are a lot of tough players who have hands now in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad