Dreger: Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Kerfoot isn't a waiver wire candidate. He's a trade candidate if they're adding so much cap space that they'll need to shed his contract. If not he's Seattle best chance at a good player from Toronto.
Either way, dispose of him elsewhere first, trade him to whoever wants him for a draft pick, then. Just don't send him back in the trade offer to Nashville.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Too much smoke to not be a fire IMHO. The Granlund rumours just won't go away.

NHL Rumor Mill – March 3, 2021 | Spectors Hockey

"TSN: Darren Dreger reports the Toronto Maple Leafs still want to bolster their forward lines before the April 12 trade deadline. Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund. Dreger thinks there could be a fit if the Predators agree to retain some of Granlund’s salary. The Leafs have the prospects and draft picks to make something happen.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Cap Friendly shows the Leafs with just over $130K of trade-deadline cap space. Granlund has over $2.1 million remaining of his $3.75 million salary for this season. No chance of a deal there unless the Preds absorb a considerable chunk of his salary or take back a contract of equal or greater value."

It seems like the leafs will have to give up a little more than other teams would pay to make this work.

How do you think this deal might happen? TOR needs to slightly overpay?
why bother with this guy is he a difference maker, i doubt it who is he going to replace when simmonds comes back, i dont like this player and i hope they don't go for him especially with that overpaiment being talked about, a big hard no, go big or go home that's the way i see it, if it was forsberg i would deffinitly go all in, the only problem is the cap, no room....

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Too much smoke to not be a fire IMHO. The Granlund rumours just won't go away.

NHL Rumor Mill – March 3, 2021 | Spectors Hockey

"TSN: Darren Dreger reports the Toronto Maple Leafs still want to bolster their forward lines before the April 12 trade deadline. Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund. Dreger thinks there could be a fit if the Predators agree to retain some of Granlund’s salary. The Leafs have the prospects and draft picks to make something happen.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Cap Friendly shows the Leafs with just over $130K of trade-deadline cap space. Granlund has over $2.1 million remaining of his $3.75 million salary for this season. No chance of a deal there unless the Preds absorb a considerable chunk of his salary or take back a contract of equal or greater value."

It seems like the leafs will have to give up a little more than other teams would pay to make this work.

How do you think this deal might happen? TOR needs to slightly overpay?
I sure hope not, shut up dreger already stop blowing smoke, this is not and i say not the guy leafs need another softy.....

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
1. Engvall isn't getting traded
2. Neither is Kerfoot UNLESS it's for a bigger trade.

Leafs are 100% going to make a trade soon, it very well could be Granlund, but I think Dubas has a shortlist, with 2-3 other guys he's looking at as well.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
2nd + Engvall for Granlund @ 50%?

Maybe there's another forward more enticing the Leafs can offer? Or the other way - is Engvall worth more to Leafs fans?

No to trading Engvall. His salary is also not enough going the other way

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Is there some hype on Engvall I'm missing? Surely Granlund is the better player and more valuable in a potential long playoff run?

It looks like it would fit cap-wise if NSH retained.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Is there some hype on Engvall I'm missing? Surely Granlund is the better player and more valuable in a potential long playoff run?
Not so much "hype", he's proving to be a fairly effective player and he's super cheap with another year on his current contract. He's very speedy and a good possession guy, helps to generate shots at the net but isn't much of a finisher. Looks like a decently valuable piece to a cap constrained team because of it.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
My favourite part of trade threads is when we spend pages arguing over who has the upper hand in negotiations.

It looks like it would fit cap-wise if NSH retained.
Not really any hype on Engvall, but he's doing fine (not great, just fine) as our 3c right now. No hurry to trade away a guy in that role who's only making $1.25m (and has an extra year on his deal).

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
no real interest in Granlund
also how do we only have 130k in space? On cap friendly using 50% retention and the pro rated salary I fig we can fit 2.6 w Engvall going back so thats almost a 7 mil player.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'd honestly do our 2021 2nd (becomes 1st if TOR wins the cup) and a prospect F like Mikhail Abramov.

I really like Granlund and adding him doesn't have expansion implications.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Would make sense but I just find it funny that Dreger always has every player in trade talked linked to the Leafs

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Obviously Granlund is a much better player than Engval, but I don't think the Leafs are going to do anything to break up their 3rd line right now.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
QUOTE="TheKrebsCycle, post: 176304668, member: 121445"]Friedman brought this up a couple weeks ago . Speculation was a 2nd and 3rd I believe. Not sure why Toronto specifically would have to overpay when most teams, especially ones w Playoff aspirations are up against the cap/would require retention.[/QUOTE]

They are paying for the Player and paying for retention. Nashville would say 'Oh, you wants us to eat (unspecified) amount too? What's in it for us?' Also, the Preds might want to weaponize more cap, so the less cap they weaponize, the more moves they can do.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
if the Leafs can pull this off without giving away any key roster players, they could roll with something like this

Thornton Matthews Marner
Granlund Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Engvall Spezza Simmonds

deep top to bottom

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Don't see how the leafs make the salary work (on any trade) without 50% retention plus one or both of Kerfoot or Engvall going the other way. Pretty much the only guys that can be moved that aren't on a league min.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Speculation by Leaf fans? I would think there would be 4-5 teams willing to offer a better return for Granlund than a very late 2nd and a very late 3rd, especially given his low cap hit and the fact the Leafs would need retention and a dump.

Name them.

Not a lot of teams looking to add salary.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Florida - $14.7 deadline cap space
Carolina - $11.7 deadline cap space
Boston - $8.6 deadline cap space
Philly - $6.9 deadline cap space
Montreal - $4.2 deadline cap space
Pitt - $1.5 deadline cap space
Minny - $1.3 deadline cap space
Colorado - $1.2 deadline cap space
All these teams have more cap space than Toronto and would require the Preds to retain less or would require less going back to the Preds in terms of a cap dump. If the offer requires retention and a dump it will cost the Leafs more than one of the teams with more cap.

the other side to this is, how many of those teams owners are willing to take on more money right now? Montreal has fired 3 coaches in under a month.
Pitt has brought in a new GM group.
Boston looks good, but do they think they can get past the Lightning who are getting back one of the 10 best forwards for the playoffs? (how are more people not talking about this)
Carolina, Philly and Colorado make sense, but i dont know their ownerships cash views.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I'm starting to feel as if Engvall is getting severely underrated. He's starting to round into shape as an effective third line defensive centre. A gritty two way winger for one of the top two forward lines would go a long way to completing this team.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I'm starting to feel as if Engvall is getting severely underrated. He's starting to round into shape as an effective third line defensive centre. A gritty two way winger for one of the top two forward lines would go a long way to completing this team.
I think he is a solid defensive 3rd C, but fans are going to look at his numbers and say "why cant we get someone who is just as good defensively and score X points".

Its always the struggle when someone is highly ranked defensively but only passable offensively.

For context, Ron Hainseys last year he had more points than Engval is on pace for this year.

If he gets back to his pace from last year, he will be slightly worse than Connor Brown in his last Leafs season (29 points in 82 games)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think he is a solid defensive 3rd C, but fans are going to look at his numbers and say "why cant we get someone who is just as good defensively and score X points".

Its always the struggle when someone is highly ranked defensively but only passable offensively.

For context, Ron Hainseys last year he had more points than Engval is on pace for this year.

If he gets back to his pace from last year, he will be slightly worse than Connor Brown in his last Leafs season (29 points in 82 games)

I only care what his point pace with this line is, it's greater than the sum of it's parts. Upgrading him with a better but slower player might be counterproductive.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I'm starting to feel as if Engvall is getting severely underrated. He's starting to round into shape as an effective third line defensive centre.

Exactly what the Preds don’t need. (Haula, Sissons, Jarnkrok). So I’m sure Poile already has his gold jersey made. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad