Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
pretty sure new Star Wars movie will never appease the hardcore fanbase, no matter who is in charge

this movie is getting the exact rating I thought it would get...light, entertaining, but not much substance

still looking forward to it

This is exactly how I have approached it. And sometimes the viewing experience is better because you go in not expecting a ton. Going tonight, and I’m looking forward to some popcorn, pop, and a fun movie to enjoy.. without sitting there thinking about every little thing to complain about.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
srt.jpg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Good flick.

Dingy, funny, some fan service but not too much.

Acting was solid. Not a weak link among the cast.

Han looked and sounded like Han.

Enjoyed it a great deal. The banter and humour goes a long way.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Then again, if we are basing their performance on the results, should we expect every figurehead in that position to be just like Fiege? The guy is able to print money because of the cinematic universe that has been established. People go crazy over simply competent movies that have Marvel plastered on them. Considering the cynicism that spawned from the PT, I'm not sure how easy that would be for someone to recreate in Star Wars without putting together a trilogy that rivals the most recent Mad Max.
Uhhhh....

. 10 years ago, the prevailing attitude re: super hero movies was niche genre, good chance to make your money back + a modest profit because of the built in fanbase, but not much beyond that, any success a fluke not inherent to the genre. Spider Man? That was only popular because it was the first time when special fx could put a comic character on screen and NOT have it be inherently silly. The Dark Knight? That was just a really great movie in and of itself- and anyway Batman was already popular with teens and 20-30 year olds because of the 90s animated series. And look at Elektra/Daredevil/Fantastic 4 2/Spawn/The Punisher/Return from Krypton!!! And so on.

That wasn't ten years ago. Marvel noticed they had an uptick in comic sales whenever the concomitant film was released, so hey, why not just keep creative control over our films, do it in house, we'll make our money back, it's basically a very long, very expensive ad for Iron Man that people will pay us to air. Fiege had to fight for the idea of an extended cinematic universe.

15 years ago Marvel didn't even make movies in house, the very idea so preposterous! it's like if the nhl started making movies about hockey history and 15 years later the top five grossing films in a year are sports biopics with nhl head and shoulders above everyone else. Doesn't that sound bat shit insane?! Yet that's the kind of turnaround Kevin Fiege has been a part of, he has been at the helm when super hero movies went from niche break evens to a cultural behemoth bereft of any comparison sibce John Wayne was directing Westerns.

so yeah, i take umbrage with the insinuation that fiege backed into a perfect situation.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Uhhhh....

. 10 years ago, the prevailing attitude re: super hero movies was niche genre, good chance to make your money back + a modest profit because of the built in fanbase, but not much beyond that, any success a fluke not inherent to the genre. Spider Man? That was only popular because it was the first time when special fx could put a comic character on screen and NOT have it be inherently silly. The Dark Knight? That was just a really great movie in and of itself- and anyway Batman was already popular with teens and 20-30 year olds because of the 90s animated series. And look at Elektra/Daredevil/Fantastic 4 2/Spawn/The Punisher/Return from Krypton!!! And so on.

That wasn't ten years ago. Marvel noticed they had an uptick in comic sales whenever the concomitant film was released, so hey, why not just keep creative control over our films, do it in house, we'll make our money back, it's basically a very long, very expensive ad for Iron Man that people will pay us to air. Fiege had to fight for the idea of an extended cinematic universe.

15 years ago Marvel didn't even make movies in house, the very idea so preposterous! it's like if the nhl started making movies about hockey history and 15 years later the top five grossing films in a year are sports biopics with nhl head and shoulders above everyone else. Doesn't that sound bat **** insane?! Yet that's the kind of turnaround Kevin Fiege has been a part of, he has been at the helm when super hero movies went from niche break evens to a cultural behemoth bereft of any comparison sibce John Wayne was directing Westerns.

so yeah, i take umbrage with the insinuation that fiege backed into a perfect situation.
That wasn't really what I was trying to say.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Uhhhh....

15 years ago Marvel didn't even make movies in house, the very idea so preposterous! it's like if the nhl started making movies about hockey history and 15 years later the top five grossing films in a year are sports biopics with nhl head and shoulders above everyone else. Doesn't that sound bat **** insane?! Yet that's the kind of turnaround Kevin Fiege has been a part of, he has been at the helm when super hero movies went from niche break evens to a cultural behemoth bereft of any comparison sibce John Wayne was directing Westerns.

FEIge.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I really enjoyed it. Then again, I'm one of the few people that has liked most of the Disney SW movies (minus Rogue One).

It wasn't anything amazing, but a great way to kill 2 hours on a hot summer day.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. I have liked Rogue One and now Solo better than TFA and TLJ

I could see a sequel because the ending had Han going to work for Jabba, so the sequel would explain why Jabba was pissed at him

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Reddit is a poor way to evaluate reception to something due to the upvoting system, which promotes groupthink.
Has nothing to do with the upvotes and everything to do with the comments. It was the complete opposite after Last Jedi.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I really enjoyed it. Then again, I'm one of the few people that has liked most of the Disney SW movies (minus Rogue One).

It wasn't anything amazing, but a great way to kill 2 hours on a hot summer day.
Most people have liked 3 of the 4 Star Wars movies from Disney. Although most loved Rogue One. Last Jedi was the one people aren't keen on.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I have been at least fine with all of them. Rogue One was a drag in my opinion that almost redeems itself with the space battle in the end.

It was sort of the opposite of Solo, where it was great until the end and then fell apart when they tried to tie together all the open plot threads.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
She isn’t Kevin Fiege. Also she seems to be smitten with Rian Johnson, a director who seems to resent Star Wars fans.

Fiege wasn’t tweeting snide comments like “your Thanos theory sucks” in the lead up to Infinity War.

Add in the call for diversity but only for the good guys, female leads are so op they dont have flaws.

She mettles with the script the directing and is just generally too hands on in the process.

She needs to go

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Weird thing is most of Reddit loves it minus the boycotters. Surprised the audience rating is that low, unless it's boycotters who haven't seen it.

Well, if you're looking at the SW subs you get banned/downvoted to oblivion for having critical opinions.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have been at least fine with all of them. Rogue One was a drag in my opinion that almost redeems itself with the space battle in the end.

It was sort of the opposite of Solo, where it was great until the end and then fell apart when they tried to tie together all the open plot threads.

I liked Rogue One better the second time I saw it.

I think Solo and Rogue One are on par - which is to say, good Star Wars movies.

One thing I liked about both of the films is that they captured the IV,V,VI grittiness well, and felt more consistent with the style of the originals than any of the sequels.

Obviously they both take place within a similar timeframe, but if the subsequent movies maintain that (e.g. Obi Wan and Boba Fett), there is a very real possibility that the sidequest movies will outshine the main event.

The sequels are so bright, shiny and alien compared with the original trilogy that they could almost be a different series altogether.

Reactions: Pilky01

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I think the movie ended in such a manner that either we will getting a sequel or it dovetails nicely into a Obi-Wan adventure. Wouldn't be surprised if Han and Chewie make an appearance.
That's exactly what I see happening. They got the kid signed on for 3 movies. I don't think he can carry 3 movies on his own. Maybe they get a second Solo film that turns into an ensemble that leads to an Obi-Wan film that ends with them meeting in the cantina of a New Hope. I also think that Q'Ria's character is a very interesting one that is wide open for interpretation. I am wondering if she can somehow make an appearance in the next Star Wars film to exact her revenge for Han's death,

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That's exactly what I see happening. They got the kid signed on for 3 movies. I don't think he can carry 3 movies on his own. Maybe they get a second Solo film that turns into an ensemble that leads to an Obi-Wan film that ends with them meeting in the cantina of a New Hope. I also think that Q'Ria's character is a very interesting one that is wide open for interpretation. I am wondering if she can somehow make an appearance in the next Star Wars film to exact her revenge for Han's death,

I know there's no basis for this in stories or canon, but I always got the feeling in ANH that Obi Wan already knew Han and Chewie a little.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I had a good time and it was a fine movie. I agree with the 70% RT. Not memorable and I don't think I'll buy the Blu-Ray like I've done with all the other SW movies. Honestly, we could change the names and there would be nothing Star Wars in it. It was fine and I didn't get out of the theatre with a WTF face not understanding what I just saw like TLJ (which was much better on a second viewing by the way).

My list would go like this
Empire Strikes Back
a New Hope
Revenge of the sith
Force Awakens
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Solo
The Last Jedi
Attack of the clones
Phantom Menace

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Most people have liked 3 of the 4 Star Wars movies from Disney. Although most loved Rogue One. Last Jedi was the one people aren't keen on.
Rogue One was awful too until the very end. It's just some science fiction movie that they slapped the SW tag on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad