Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story, 25 May 2018 Release (Early reviews are in)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Next Star Wars film should be after Revenge of the Sith and show how the Imperial Empire snuffed out most of the resistance

I would like to see a film focused more on the Empire/First Order rather then the other side for a change

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Next Star Wars film should be after Revenge of the Sith and show how the Imperial Empire snuffed out most of the resistance

I would like to see a film focused more on the Empire/First Order rather then the other side for a change
After the RoTS there was no resistance. 99.9% of the jedi are dead and viewed as power hungry traitors, while most of the galaxy sees the Emperor as a hero for holding the republic together and ending the war with the separatists.

It's really not until just before A New Hope when the Empire starts to really tighten its grip that a resistance builds, even then they were a bunch of tiny fringe groups loosely affilated with each other. It wasn't until the Emperor finally dissolved the senate and the deathstar blew up Alderaan that any form of resistance truly formed.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ok then set a movie between ROTJ and TFA showing the war that ultimately ended up seeing fall of Empire and the rise of First Order and Cold War like peace between Republic and FO

Surely the massive fleets and soldiers of the Empire didn't simply melt away just because a joke of a storyline involving Ewoks destroyed Death Star 2.0

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Ok then set a movie between ROTJ and TFA showing the war that ultimately ended up seeing fall of Empire and the rise of First Order and Cold War like peace between Republic and FO

Surely the massive fleets and soldiers of the Empire didn't simply melt away just because a joke of a storyline involving Ewoks destroyed Death Star 2.0
That's what episode 7 should have been IMO.

In the theatre seeing TFA for the first time I was thinking why is the FO so powerful? That really put me off and took me out of the movie.

The rise of the FO and the Knights of Ren would have been a much more interesting and believable story IMO.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Star Wars died and went to heaven after Luke saved Vader and the second DS was destroyed. Sadly it was ressurected just to die a very slow and painful death. The OT was lightning in a bottle and I mean that in a good eay. The thing is, you cant catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Reactions: BVG

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just for fun I checked the reserved seating for an 8 pm screening tonight at my local theatre.

18 out of about 80'ish seats are currently reserved.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

No clue how accurate those numbers are, but if they’re even close.....ouch.

Maybe The Last Jedi did more damage to the brand than haters like me even thought it would.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gotta be honest: Not a fan of her reviews, especially the MCU ones
Same. Whether I also like the movie or dislike it every review I've watched from her I find myself constantly thinking things like

"you missed the point"
"why does that even matter"
"were you even paying attention to the movie?"

Honestly there isn't a YouTube critic that I think is particularly good at analyzing film. I don't doubt Solo is probably mediocre. I think everyone was expecting that.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

No, please. No more prequels. Unless it's like a millenia in the past and has nothing to do with the old characters. I'm so fed up with prequels. Can we get original stories ? New stuff ?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Maybe The Last Jedi did more damage to the brand than haters like me even thought it would.
Solo was up against it for it coming off as a gigantic cash grab,issues behind the scenes, and early reviews being mixed at best. Not to mention it is directly competing with Deadpoool 2 and is competing indirectly with Infinity War. I know, TLJ is the most disappointing thing since my son and Kathleen Kennedy is awful and everyone's childhood is ruined, but come on.

As far as the movie is concerned, I was pleasantly surprised by the majority of it. The first hour and a half was great and a fun little romp into Han's past with new characters (L3 was great), a tasteful utilization of how most things came into place, and a simple plot that keeps things moving at a good speed. The last half hour or so really fell apart, though, and I don't know if this was because of the change in directing or what, but they could not tie up really anything all that well.

As far as the acting, I didn't have an issue with either Alden Ehrenreich or Donald Glover as Han and Lando. Were slight variations on the original characters but not enough to bother me in any way. Emilia Clarke was also surprisingly good.

And in one of the last scenes of the movie one of the strangest characters shows up out of the blue:

f***ing Darth Maul is alive based on the EU and apparently runs the Crimson Tide or whoever. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Does he get killed between now and ANH? Does he experience memory loss and become a farmer somewhere? If they were going to have some sith apprentice or lord pulling the strings they should have had a younger Snoke, giving us a backstory of him sitting in the shadows waiting to make his move anticipating the end of the current empire. Could satisfy those who hated the fact he didn't have a backstory and open up the potential for more of him in other movies.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
It didn't matter what TLJ did. Solo was up against it for it coming off as a gigantic cash grab,issues behind the scenes, and early reviews being mixed at best. Not to mention it is directly competing with Deadpoool 2 and is competing indirectly with Infinity War. I know, TLJ is the most disappointing thing since my son and Kathleen Kennedy is awful and everyone's childhood is ruined, but come on.

As far as the movie is concerned, I was pleasantly surprised by the majority of it. The first hour and a half was great and a fun little romp into Han's past with new characters (L3 was great), a tasteful utilization of how most things came into place, and a simple plot that keeps things moving at a good speed. The last half hour or so really fell apart, though, and I don't know if this was because of the change in directing or what, but they could not tie up really anything all that well.

As far as the acting, I didn't have an issue with either Alden Ehrenreich or Donald Glover as Han and Lando. Were slight variations on the original characters but not enough to bother me in any way. Emilia Clarke was also surprisingly good.

And in one of the last scenes of the movie one of the strangest characters shows up out of the blue:

****ing Darth Maul is alive based on the EU and apparently runs the Crimson Tide or whoever. Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

Does he get killed between now and ANH? Does he experience memory loss and become a farmer somewhere? If they were going to have some sith apprentice or lord pulling the strings they should have had a younger Snoke, giving us a backstory of him sitting in the shadows waiting to make his move anticipating the end of the current empire. Could satisfy those who hated the fact he didn't have a backstory and open up the potential for more of him in other movies.

Yeah, the acting was actually fine. The characters could have used some work, like Dryden Vos and Enfys Nest (killer theme though!). Those two were definitely the weak points. I myself did not care for L3.

Response to your spoiler:

He's been alive since the Clone Wars CGI series, which is canon. In this series he becomes power hungry and eventually becomes the Mandalorian leader. He's also hellbent on getting revenge on Obi Wan. I suggest looking up his episodes in this series and watching them. He shows up in Rebels, too. If you want to find out what happens to him in that, read the next spoiler.

Thanks to a Sith artifact, he tracks down Obi Wan to Tatooine. The two fight and Obi Wan quickly kills him. This appears to be a year or so before A New Hope.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
About what one would expect from Ron Howard--competency devoid of originality or creativity. The movie functions, but nothing about it really matters.

(Also, maybe it was just my theatre screen, but the 3D/Imax processing was so dark that it called attention to itself constantly as it often was impossible to make out not just fine detail, but faces and actions--did the producers run out of money for lighting?)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Didn’t come away excited or anything. More like “I’m good with it.” I know it’ll be better on second watch too.

Really that’s about as much as I expected from it.

By the way, no empty seats in my theater.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
About what one would expect from Ron Howard--competency devoid of originality or creativity. The movie functions, but nothing about it really matters.

(Also, maybe it was just my theatre screen, but the 3D/Imax processing was so dark that it called attention to itself constantly as it often was impossible to make out not just fine detail, but faces and actions--did the producers run out of money for lighting?)

I thought it was dark too in standard.

By the way, that part about nothing mattering kinda makes this a perfect movie for Ron Howard. There really wasn’t much reason for this story to be told.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I was pleasantly surprised with how well this turned out to be. I still don't love the kid as Han. As far as origin stories go this one was pretty good. The kid Glover playing Lando slayed it. You got a solid preformance out of Woody which is usually the case as well as Clarke. The best part for me was the person that showed up near the end totally unexpected and I was thrilled to see it happen.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I absolutely loved it. 3rd film this year where the trailers turned me off but ended up loving the movie (Black Panther and Ready Player One were the others). This is 100% better than the prequels. 100% better than The Clone Wars. And better than The Last Jedi. Where it ranks among the rest, I'm not sure yet. But I throughly enjoyed it.

My theatre was full. And half the theatre clapped at the end.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I hated the Last Jedi but I got a free ticket tonight and I have to say...... I really really liked this movie. Probably the best of the new movies.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I had the most fun watching Solo than any other Star Wars film. If people don’t see this film, than they are missing out. Best Disney SW film by far.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, the acting was actually fine. The characters could have used some work, like Dryden Vos and Enfys Nest (killer theme though!). Those two were definitely the weak points. I myself did not care for L3.

Response to your spoiler:

He's been alive since the Clone Wars CGI series, which is canon. In this series he becomes power hungry and eventually becomes the Mandalorian leader. He's also hellbent on getting revenge on Obi Wan. I suggest looking up his episodes in this series and watching them. He shows up in Rebels, too. If you want to find out what happens to him in that, read the next spoiler.

Thanks to a Sith artifact, he tracks down Obi Wan to Tatooine. The two fight and Obi Wan quickly kills him. This appears to be a year or so before A New Hope.
I'm aware of that, but I think showing up in this particular movie was sort of silly. That character should have separate motivations than anything going on in this movie and I don't think belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->