Olympics: Sochi 2014 Roster Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Nothing wrong with predicting Tavares, Duchene, Heatley, and Kane to top off the lineup, rather I was just saying 4 years is too long a time to accurately predict which young group of players will be able to step up and earn themselves a spot. Right now I'd say the young stars that were there this time, mostly from that 2003 draft & World Junior teams will have spots, but who knows after that. We could actually have a similar contribution from recent drafts, with jsut from the forwards Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Hodgson, and Eberle.

BlackAces*

Nothing wrong with predicting Tavares, Duchene, Heatley, and Kane to top off the lineup, rather I was just saying 4 years is too long a time to accurately predict which young group of players will be able to step up and earn themselves a spot. Right now I'd say the young stars that were there this time, mostly from that 2003 draft & World Junior teams will have spots, but who knows after that. We could actually have a similar contribution from recent drafts, with jsut from the forwards Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Hodgson, and Eberle.

Yeah, I know what you meant, and I agree. My bad, I was being lazy, I was more asking what you thought as opposed to disagreeing with you:laugh: I think 4 years from now is a long time in hockey years.

Eberle! Totally forgot about him! That is embarassing.

Money May*

Be shocked if any of these don't make it

Stamkos - Crosby - Duchene
Nash - Toews - Turris
Heatley - Getzlaf - Perry
Carter - Richards - E.Kane

Green
Weber
Kieth
Doughty
Bouwmeester
Seabrook

Luongo
Fluery

Money May*

Nash - Toews - Turris

Green
Weber
Kieth
Doughty
Bouwmeester
Seabrook

Luongo
Fluery

Add Tyler Myers to that D :naughty:

BlackAces*

Nash - Toews - Turris

Green
Weber
Kieth
Doughty
Bouwmeester
Seabrook

Luongo
Fluery

You would be shocked if Kyle Turris didn't make it?

MyDogSparty

Yzerman & Lidstrom
Mar 3, 2008
It's hard to predict 4 years down the road but here are those that make my core. I'd be surprised if any of these guys did not make the team...

Crosby
Nash
Toews
E.Staal
Richards
Stamkos
Duchene

Doughty
Keith
Weber

Fleury

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Eberle! Totally forgot about him! That is embarassing.
Of the players not currently playing in the NHL, I certainly wouldn't think that Eberle would be good enough to make the team. If anybody has even the slightest chance, it might be Hall, Seguin, and Hodgson.

BlackAces*

Of the players not currently playing in the NHL, I certainly wouldn't think that Eberle would be good enough to make the team. If anybody has even the slightest chance, it might be Hall, Seguin, and Hodgson.

Meh, going on what I have seen of all three, I would put money down on Eberle before any of those guys.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Too soon for me to decide. One thing is sure though, the key to winning these short tournaments is youth. We all saw the results what youth could bring. The players that did great were the young legs. Except Slovakia, all the other teams with old pylons did poorly. Canada was not daring enough to bring more young players (that and including Burtuzzi) in Torino and look how poorly we did in those Olympics.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Meh, going on what I have seen of all three, I would put money down on Eberle before any of those guys.
With the Olympics a whole four years down the road, those three players will have had four years of NHL experience. Players like Crosby, Getzlaf, Richards, Seabrook, Keith, etc. have all played less the five full years in the NHL and Doughty and Toews have played less than three. With four years under their belt, all of the three players I mentioned will be better than Eberle, as will current NHL youngsters like Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, and Kane. He won't have a chance

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Nash
Crosby
Toews
Carter
Richards
Tavares
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Perry
E. Staal
Duchene
J. Staal

Defense:

Keith
Doughty
Myers
Seabrook
Weber
Green
Bouwmeester

Goalie:

Fleury
Luongo
Price

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
If Richards, Toews, and Nash are not on the same line then all of hockey loses. If those three are all healthy and in their primes...my god. I've never been more scared of an entire line before in my life. They could shut you down, speed by you, crush you along the boards, win the puck in the corners, score the pretty goal from the high-slot, or get a dirty one from the paint. Seriously, that line was unbelievable. Props for such a deadly combination.

Anyway, Team USA:

Zach Parise - Paul Stastny - Patrick Kane
Kyle Okposo - Joe Pavelski - Phil Kessel
James vanRiemsdyk - Ryan Kesler - Bobby Ryan
David Backes - TJ Oshie - Dustin Brown
Colin Wilson

Ryan Suter - Cam Fowler
Erik Johnson - Jack Johnson
Zach Bogosian - John Carlson
Paul Martin

Ryan Miller
Cory Schneider
Jonathan Quick

P.S. We want Tyler Myers back.

Bold denotes NJ representing.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Someone try USA

Forwards (x13):

Zach Parise (C) - Paul Stastny - Bobby Ryan

James Van Riemsdyk - Colin Wilson - Pat Kane

David Booth - Ryan Kesler (A) - Kyle Okposo

Dustin Brown (A) - TJ Oshie - Ryan Callahan

Phil Kessel

Defenseman (x7):

Erik Johnson - Ryan Suter (A)

Jack Johnson - Zach Bogosian

Paul Martin - John Carlson

Keith Yandle

Goalies (x3):

Ryan Miller (starter)
Jon Quick
Jimmy Howard

Last edited:

Colin20

Apr 9, 2007
Vancouver, B.C.
Alright, here's my shot at Team Canada...

What amazes me about this potential 2014 roster is that there are so many young players who could crossover from 2010 to 2014. Of course, predicting a tournament four years in advance is pretty futile, but here it is anyhow:

Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron
Milan Lucic - Johnathan Toews - Patrick Sharp
Jeff Carter - Steven Stamkos - Mike Richards
Dustin Penner - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Dave Bolland

Jay Bouwmeester - Drew Doughty
Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Dion Phaneuf - Shea Weber
Luke Schenn / P.K. Subban

Roberto Luongo
Marc-Andre Fleury
Cam Ward

not a chance of Bergeron. No E. Staal? where is J. Staal? I don't see Lucic there on the big ice either. I do like the goalie selection, I would go with the same picks.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Team USA looks even stronger than they did this year. Ballin.

Team USA has a chance to be a real force in the hockey world from here on out if they can keep USA Hockey pumped with new talent. These Olympics will have made a difference 10 years down the line.

If we could get a little focus off Crosby and Ovechkin (no offense to Canadian/Russian fans out there) and on to some people like Ryan Miller, Patrick Kane, Joe Pavelski, Paul Stastny, Bobby Ryan, etc, then the US could seriously start to make headway. The NHL would grow. It'd be good for hockey in general.

I'd love to see Canada and USA go at it for the next 20 years.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Stamkos - Kadri - Staal
Hall - Crosby - Duchene
Richards - Toews - Nash
Carter - Getzlaf - Perry

Doughty
Weber
Keith
Seabrook
Myers
Staal

Luongo
Ward

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Team USA looks even stronger than they did this year. Ballin.
And with Canada's steady youth movement, I could certainly see those two nations continuing to battle it out for international supremacy. I think Sweden will likely take a step backward and the Russians aren't going to be leaps and bounds better, especially with most of their better defensemen falling prey to age. Finland is going to be hit hard, by all of their great retirees calling it a career, and Slovakia won't be any better.

I think the Canada v.s. U.S. rivalry is only going to get better and hockey, in North America, can only benefit. However, I think the playing field, for the rest of the world, won't be any easier.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Stamkos - Kadri - Staal
Hall - Crosby - Duchene

Richards - Toews - Nash
Carter - Getzlaf - Perry

Doughty
Weber
Keith
Seabrook
Myers
Staal

Luongo
Ward
I don't me to nitpick but I don't think Kadri is going to be better than Sidney Crosby, come 2014. I also doubt he'd even be one of the young players in heavy consideration to make the team. At least, not over Seguin, J. Staal, Tavares, Hodgson, or E. Kane.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
And with Canada's steady youth movement, I could certainly see those two nations continuing to battle it out for international supremacy. I think Sweden will likely take a step backward and the Russians aren't going to be leaps and bounds better, especially with most of their better defensemen falling prey to age. Finland is going to be hit hard, by all of their great retirees calling it a career and Slovakia won't be any better.

I think the Canada v.s. U.S. rivalry is only going to get better and hockey, in North America, can only benefit. However, I think the playing field, for the rest of the world, won't be any easier.

If I was looking at it from an organizational standpoint on the big 5 (CAN, USA, RUS, SWE, FIN), I'd have to rank their futures for the next decade (right now of course I can't look that far ahead) like this:

1. Canada
2. United States
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland

Sweden has a pretty underrated crop of talent, but their defense in four years is going to be an absolute killer even without Lidstrom. There is some serious young talent coming out of Sweden right now that I just don't think Russia and Finland can keep up with.

Even so, Canada will always find ways to refill the tank. They will always have talent coming out. The US however is starting to show the signs of a brighter future than American hockey has ever seen.

It's going to be fun watching North America compete internally for a long time.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Hodgson is the next Crosby, I can't believe nobody has put him in their roster yet.
All kidding aside, I honestly believe that he could surprise some people and challenge for a spot on the fourth line. He was probably the best prospect outside the NHL, before his back injury, and looks like he's returning to form. Don't count him out.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Somewhat surprised, well confused to be honest, that people are putting Price on their roster over Cam Ward. I thought everyone was over all this Jesus Price ******** by now.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Nash-Crosby-E.Staal
Toews-J.Staal-Heatley
Carter-Richards-Stamkos
Perry-Getzlaf-E.Kane
Tavares

Doughty-Keith
Seabrook-Weber
Phaneuf-Myers
Letang